reptiles

Enlightened
Here's a pic of my latest gadget for my close-ups to add scale and orientation:
DSC00631.jpg

Specs at http://herpetology.com/scalecube.htm

Cheers, Mark

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they come in smaller sizes? I've had occasion to take pictures of subjects that could sit on one face of that cube and the cube would be all that you would see as a background.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool! I'll see if I can get any geckos or anoles to pose with one of these. :D

I came up with something similar when I tried to document the growth of a frog fish last year. Not macro and not 3D. I made a 3"x3" white card with the MCPET plastic so I could gage scale as well as have an in the picture reference for white balance. Shooting with a fisheye lens though required that I get the card in the same plane as the frog fish or the scale would be misleading.

Frog-White-Card.jpg

A cube would be better for scale but cumbersome in this size and situation. I found I would often include the card for white balance but then crop it out of the image for viewing. It was still in the original should the need arise to provide reference.

reptiles

Enlightened
Do they come in smaller sizes? I've had occasion to take pictures of subjects that could sit on one face of that cube and the cube would be all that you would see as a background.

Actually I am not aware of anything smaller at this time, but a jeweler I know is designing a cube with laser etching at 1mm intervals. If that interests you send me a pm in a couple weeks.

Also some optical grids used in microscopy might be useful to you, but I haven't used them for years.

Regards,

Mark

reptiles

Enlightened
Cool! I'll see if I can get any geckos or anoles to pose with one of these. :D

lol... I'm looking forward to it, Don. I hate to admit it but my model was pickled ;)

I came up with something similar when I tried to document the growth of a frog fish last year. Not macro and not 3D. I made a 3"x3" white card with the MCPET plastic so I could gage scale as well as have an in the picture reference for white balance. Shooting with a fisheye lens though required that I get the card in the same plane as the frog fish or the scale would be misleading.

I've used flat rulers and such, but your dual purpose card is a nice idea. I suppose you could even imprint a linear scale and maybe add a strip of grayscales (assuming that MCPET can be embossed somehow.)

A cube would be better for scale but cumbersome in this size and situation. I found I would often include the card for white balance but then crop it out of the image for viewing. It was still in the original should the need arise to provide reference.

Excellent tip on the outcropped white card. And the fish is cute.

Regards,

Mark

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Mark,
I had an opportunity the other night to get the cube in as a scale reference. I wasn't overly successful but what the heck.

DSC_4510.jpg

reptiles

Enlightened
Hi Don,

That's one tiny gecko!

I always like a photo when the animal's eye in in focus... so its not a bad shot. You can clearly see the size reference.

Thanks for the message.

Regards, Mark

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Mark,
I too always hope to get the animal's eye in the image and hopefully in focus as well as good lighting. With some of the sea creatures I shoot it is mostly wishful thinking and always something to hope to improve on.

With the little critters in the back yard, the depth of field on macro makes it a challenge.

DSC_4569.jpg

DSC_4572.jpg

DSC_4599.jpg

Of course with a blind snake, it's moot! :)

DSC_4612.jpg

DSC_4614.jpg

Your Ti cube really helps on getting a sense of scale with this small snake!!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks Tony M. I should probably comment that the "S" on the cube was put on top to designate snake and not south. :eek:

Mark,
I just ordered a second one of these. I would like to take it underwater with me on occasion and there is always a chance I might lose it which I am not willing to take if I only have one of these.

Last edited:

reptiles

Enlightened
Thanks Tony M. I should probably comment that the "S" on the cube was put on top to designate snake and not south. :eek:

Mark,
I just ordered a second one of these. I would like to take it underwater with me on occasion and there is always a chance I might lose it which I am not willing to take if I only have one of these.

Nice photos, Don. I especially like the blind snake --quite the tiny scolecophidian.

2nd cube has been dispatched, Many thanks (you now own 1/12th of the World's production of 1cm Ti scale cubes!

Cheers,

Mark

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Off topic, below is a shot of a small seahorse backed by a 3" x 3" MCPET card which adds some scale as well as allowed for an accurate white balancing of the image.

DSC_0393.jpg

On topic, a shot of the Ti cube near some nudibranch eggs (the rose looking thing)

DSC_0262.jpg

entoptics

Enlightened
I'm a geologist (and hobby photographer), and something like your cube could be a real asset.

I'm too damn poor to buy one (but know folks who might and who knows what my next grant will bring). Would it be possible to anodize or paint the cube in a standardized flat neutral grey so it could be used for white balance?

Also, variable sizes with graduations would be incredibly useful. For instance 10 graduations per cube in 0.5, 1, and 5 cm cubes? Titanium wouldn't be necessary.

Anyway, great item and cool photos.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Octaf,
You have the 4 cardinal points (compass) : N-S-E-W and then B for bottom and T for top. In addition you have the 1 CM measure on the top face.

entoptics,
I have considered boring a shallow pocket in the bottom face and inserting either a disk of the MCPET or some white paint.

reptiles

Enlightened
I'm a geologist (and hobby photographer), and something like your cube could be a real asset.

I'm too damn poor to buy one (but know folks who might and who knows what my next grant will bring). Would it be possible to anodize or paint the cube in a standardized flat neutral grey so it could be used for white balance?

Also, variable sizes with graduations would be incredibly useful. For instance 10 graduations per cube in 0.5, 1, and 5 cm cubes? Titanium wouldn't be necessary.

Anyway, great item and cool photos.

Hi entoptics, These cubes started with geologists at NASA in the 1960's. If you'd like to try painting a cube grey, I have a wooden prototype I'd be happy to send you. Just pm your address.

Regards,

Mark
http://herpetology.com/scalecube.htm (specs on the Ti cube)

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
Hi entoptics, These cubes started with geologists at NASA in the 1960's. If you'd like to try painting a cube grey, I have a wooden prototype I'd be happy to send you. Just pm your address.

Regards,

Mark
http://herpetology.com/scalecube.htm (specs on the Ti cube)
lovecpf

Thanks for the kind offer. I'll investigate paint options and let you know. No need to trouble you for now though.