Post your lanterns

HIDblue

Enlightened
Holy Mackeral that's whole lotta lanterns! :naughty:

So, which lantern do you think has the best combo of run time, versatility and brightness??? I've been shopping around for a new one for camping/emergency/blackouts, etc. :thinking:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,
You have a serious lantern collection!
Can you please tell us what is what?.. :popcorn:

My one and only lantern.:rock:

026-13.jpg

Beamshot:
027-9.jpg

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dafab, I have 2 of those little guys, 1 green, 1 red.

From left to right looking at the pic...
stock Sylvania with a Osram Dragon
next 2, modded Sylvania with a Lux 3 UWOK and film canister diffusers
next 2, stock Osram ( same as Sylvania)
stock RiverRock
stock RiverRock with press n seal diffuser
Coast E-Lantern
next 2, stock Rayovac Sportsman with film canister diffusers
next 2, Costco 3-5mm LED lanterns ( one with film canister the other with press n seal diffuser)
next 2, Stock Black Diamond Orbits
last 3, 3-5mm LED lanterns that Target had a couple years ago all with film canister diffusers.

duboost

Enlightened
lanternsv.jpg

Lanterns are becoming just as addicting as flashlights :sick:

Coleman 8D High Performance Twin Led (4 XR-E) Lantern
Black Diamond Titan
Black Diamond Apollo
Black Diamon Orbit
Rayovac Sportsman 3D
Rayovac Sports 3AA
Sylvania Stock
Sylvania modded w/ P4
Energizer Weather Ready Folding Lantern

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Energizer Weather Ready 4D, Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 3D, Brunton Polaris 3C, Coleman Packaway 4xAA, River Rock 3xAA, UCO MightyLite Flip 4xAA, Cyclops Apollo Stretch Lantern/Flashlight.

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Next on the list:
Brunton Glorb, Brunton LampLight 360, Black Diamond Orbit, Black Diamond Apollo, Coleman High Tech Mini 3xAA.

Last edited:

JNieporte

Enlightened
Mine.

001_crop.jpg

Left to right: standard aluminum camping lantern, runs on actual fuel. Dorcy LED lantern, $4 at Target. Energizer Weather Ready Multi-Function Lantern. Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 70-lumen lantern. Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300-lumen lantern. Coleman MicroPacker lantern.

The Dorcy is small and runs on four AA batteries. It has only one mode.
002-73.jpg

About ten feet away in my basement...
003-77.jpg

The Energizer has three white Nichia LEDs and three modes. It runs on three D batteries.
004-75.jpg

On top is a removable pocket light...
005-67.jpg

There's a tent hook on the underside (the top unscrews for this, but I forgot to get a photo)...
006-59.jpg

There's a single button, glow-in-the-dark, and clicking it in successive times runs through the modes.
007-62.jpg

From ten feet away. High...
008-61.jpg

Medium...
009-61.jpg

Low is called a nightlight mode...
010-58.jpg

The lantern is off; I'm illuminating it with the small LED on the top...
011-58.jpg

Rayovac 70-lumen light. Runs on three AA batteries.
012-55.jpg

Has a swiveling hanging hook on top...
013-50.jpg

And one on the bottom...
014-46.jpg

The top comes off for tent hanging (upside down)...
015-46.jpg

On high, ten feet away...
016-40.jpg

Low...
017-39.jpg

There's also a flashing mode if you hold the button longer than three seconds, and it strobes in the high mode a little faster than one flash every second. The little light on the front flashes once every five seconds to help find it in the dark, but this feature really isn't helpful unless you happen to be looking right at the light at the right time.

The 300-lumen Rayovac. Runs on three D batteries...
018-37.jpg

The top has a swiveling hanging bar...
020-31.jpg

And the bottom has the same plastic tent hook that its little brother has...
019-33.jpg

It has three LEDs inside...
021-32.jpg

On high (ten feet)...
022-31.jpg

And low...
023-25.jpg

The larger Rayovac also has the same flashing mode and "find me" light as the 70-lumen version.

Coleman MicroPacker. Uses three AA batteries...
026-24.jpg

Hanging hook on top...
027-22.jpg

There's a reflector on the back, which slides up. Here it is in the halfway position...
028-20.jpg

Locked in the up (reflector up) position. The black button unlocks it...
029-20.jpg

With the reflector down...
024-27.jpg

And up...
025-26.jpg

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Couldn't help myself not getting this cute minimie lantern. :D.

scaled.php

Coghlans micro lantern.
3.5 lumens.
5mm nichia led.
2 x cr2032 coin battery.
25 hour runtime. :candle:.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I never got a good digital camera but I am still using my modified rayovac kids lantern that incorporates a CCFL tube, 4 white 5mm LEDs and a color changing LED array plus a built in red blinking "find me" mode. I used this during a 4.5 day power outage and it has the smoothest flood you can get from a lantern running about 6-8 hours off nimh cells.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/70066

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't help myself not getting this cute minimie lantern. :D.

scaled.php

Coghlans micro lantern.
3.5 lumens.
5mm nichia led.
2 x cr2032 coin battery.
25 hour runtime. :candle:.

Nice! I want one :D. How much are they? Will it light up, say, a backpack's insides very well? I'm pretty sure it would... It would be cool to hang from a zipper. That would be insanely convenient.

Last edited:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Nice! I want one :D. How much are they? Will it light up, say, a backpack's insides very well? I'm pretty sure it would... It would be cool to hang from a zipper. That would be insanely convenient.

Bought it for $7 bucks on my local store. Online is a little more than that. Yup, can light up your backpack very well. It's pretty bright for it's size and best of all it's very cute. :naughty:.

ASheep

Enlightened
JNieporte, I have an eveready branded mini-lantern that looks almost identical to your yellow dorcy, except it has an incan bulb in it.

First thing I did when I bought it was to mod the battery chamber so it accepts an 18650, and replaced the bulb with a cheapo krypton bulb from a 2D torch. It's a lot brighter than stock, and runs for a couple of hours on a battery. Because it's overdriven by a fair bit, the light is a beautiful white, not the sickly yellow you usually get from those kryptons. Sadly the bulb goes pretty quickly in it, so most of the time I have a 4.8v bulb, less light, but the battery lasts longer.
I'll post pics when my camera is charged.
Also, Beamhead: Got enough lanterns there? Between all of those you'll have weeks of runtime... possibly even months...

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
lanternsv.jpg

Lanterns are becoming just as addicting as flashlights :sick:

Coleman 8D High Performance Twin Led (4 XR-E) Lantern
Black Diamond Titan
Black Diamond Apollo
Black Diamon Orbit
Rayovac Sportsman 3D
Rayovac Sports 3AA
Sylvania Stock
Sylvania modded w/ P4
Energizer Weather Ready Folding Lantern

Which of the three Black Diamond lanterns do you find most useful? How is the beam tints of the BD lanterns (cool/bluish, white/neutral, warm)? I think I am most interested in the Apollo. Have you tried running it on Ni-Mh (ex. Sanyo Eneloops) or lithium primary cells (Energizer e2)?

Thanks,
Robert

duboost

Enlightened
Which of the three Black Diamond lanterns do you find most useful? How is the beam tints of the BD lanterns (cool/bluish, white/neutral, warm)? I think I am most interested in the Apollo. Have you tried running it on Ni-Mh (ex. Sanyo Eneloops) or lithium primary cells (Energizer e2)?

Thanks,
Robert
Imo the most useful are either the orbit or apollo. I like the orbit simply because of how tiny it is. It can literally fit in a pocket. The apollo is brighter obviously, although not stunningly brighter, but it is a good bit larger. Of course with 4xAA's vs 4xAAA's, you do get better run time.

The titan is nice, but for the money, i'd pick up a couple of the 3D rayovac sportsmans instead. The titan is brighter, but not by much. And it's a bigger and heavier than the rayovac.

As far as tint goes, the orbit is cool, but more of a pure white than ugly blue/purpleish. My apollo is more of a neutral tint, noticeably warmer and less white than the orbit. The titan has a cool tint also, but looks even more pure white than the orbit. I'd put it somewhere between the two, and has the nicest tint out of the three (to my eyes anyway).

The two rayovacs on the other hand are cooler than any of the black diamonds. The smaller rayovac is cooler than the larger one. But they're still a definite bang for your buck.

The nice features about all the black diamonds are that they collapse to become more compact when not in use, the infinite brightness levels, and a pretty low low mode. Unlike the two rayovacs which only have 2 set output levels, neither of which are very low.

Last edited:

tbutter

Newly Enlightened
i have one of these old coleman minis too
too bad i cannot fix it to make it work

plus a
Coleman Premium Powerhouse® Dual Fuel™ Lantern
Model No. 295A700

never used the unleaded fuel yet. Just the Champagne

dark_hood

Newly Enlightened
which are the real run times for the energizer weather ready lantern ? thx.

Last edited by a moderator: