New Dereelight DBS V3 - Cloudy Lense

CM2010

Enlightened
Just received this today but the lense looks really cloudy and patchy,ive tried gently cleaning both sides with a dry cloth but to no avail:

w72cgi.jpg

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received this today but the lense looks really cloudy and patchy,ive tried gently cleaning both sides with a dry cloth but to no avail:

What a coincidence, my DBS V3 X-G had the same problem, but yours seems worse. I also tried to clean the lens, no way, it wasn't dirt but probably a faulty coating. As it seems, they have more of these faulty lenses, they should perhaps have a closer look on each one they deliver!

Send them a mail, I received a new one from Alan within two weeks which is flawless. If you bought it at a dealer, send the mail to him and you'll get a new one for sure!

The DBS V3 XP-G is my best thrower, except a CL1H V4 with an aspherical and the Deft! :thumbsup:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have a DBS V2 that I bought a few years ago.

I've just put a Nailbender SST-50 pill in it and also noticed that my lens is quite cloudy.

Its much more conspicuous on the higher levels than on the lowest level and when it used to have the standard XRE pill that it came with originally.

I also tried to clean it but without much success.

I think there is probably some sort of anti-reflective coating that is causing the cloudiness.

It could probably be removed by taking the lens out and applying alcohol and rubbing vigorously.

However the coating is probably helping light transmission, so maybe removing it is not such a good idea. :shrug:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember this issue being raised with the V1 DBS. Dereelight mentioned at the time of improving the coatings on the glass for the 2nd batch - obviously the improvements didn't occur.

James....

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just happened again and again:thumbsdow: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211213
One of the solutions is to purchase a UCL lens to replace the cloudy and dirty DBS lens.

Where can UCL lenses be purchased? I guess you can get them not only for Dereelights, sounds interesting! I got some hosts from Oveready and ordered them with UCL, it's really a difference to normal lenses, I thought they were thin as paper looking at them, but they are 2,8mm thick!!!

If you don't wanna make publicity, you can also shoot me a PM...

Thanks! :wave:

owner

Newly Enlightened
Where can UCL lenses be purchased? I guess you can get them not only for Dereelights, sounds interesting! I got some hosts from Oveready and ordered them with UCL, it's really a difference to normal lenses, I thought they were thin as paper looking at them, but they are 2,8mm thick!!!

If you don't wanna make publicity, you can also shoot me a PM...

Thanks! :wave:
It's here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219004

davidt

Enlightened
Looks like the cloudy lens is more common then I thought. I just got a DBS V3 MC-E warm today and the lens is ugly :sick2:. It actually has brown spots! The output is already good. I hope the output will be great when I get a new lens.

DSCN0039.jpg

Last edited:

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
As long as they have had this problem there is no excuse for the DBS's to continue to be shipped with faulty lenses. I just ordered a DBS V3 from Dereelight and it had the unacceptably cloudy lens. After contacting them about the problem I finally received a new lens 2 weeks later. I understand shipping from China takes time. However, while an improvement over the original, the new lens is far from perfect. I am still working on cleaning and polishing the new lens to bring it up to acceptable standards. Come on Dereelight, as good as your lights are, what's up with your substandard lens? I've never had this issue with any other brand lights I own including your own. THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR LENSES. PLEASE ADDRESS THIS!

easilyled

Flashaholic
I replaced my lens with a UCL lens from flashlightlens.com (size 43.41 * 2.89 mm)

It was a perfect fit and made a big difference to the appearance. (Looks completely clear).

It also improved the output.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you guys attempting to clean the lenses? AR coated lenses are very, very, very hard to clean. The best way is to first clean with a lens tissue and lens cleaning solution meant for cameras and then use the vapor from your breath and a clean microfiber cloth to finish up.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found using pre-moistened eyeglass cleaners work really good and if you can get the right brand it leaves no residue or streaking behind.

Sometimes it takes a little while to get the residue or streaking off but it can be done and look perfect.