EagleTac PN Series (updated)

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
After months of waiting and nagging the dealer... I have finally received these EagleTac PN series flashlights. The first thing that catches my eye is there is a "shiny" change in their packaging:
PNPkg01.jpg

the specification sticker is different, it's a glossy shining paper. The side of the box have this printed:
PNPkg06.jpg

I recognize some but not all symbols, anyone here can share what those symbols mean? I only recognise "fragile", "this way up", "recycle", the rest I have no idea...

The line-up: 1 x PN20a2 NW, 1 x PN20a NW and 1 x PN20a2 CW
PNPkg04.jpg

PNPkg07.jpg

size/height comparison with other AAA lights
PNPkg05.jpg

First, let's take a look at PN20a NW. The specifications:
PNPkg03.jpg

LED: Cree XP-E Q4 5A
Max Lumens: 75 (60 OTF) lumens
Reflector: Lite OP
Power source: 1 x AAA battery
Operational Voltage: 0.8V - 3.2V
Output modes: 2
User Interface: Turning the head - Tighten to turn on, tighten further for High
Material: Hard Anodized Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Runtime: 1 hour on High, 4.5 hours on general
Accessories included: 1 x O-ring, 1 x split-ring, 1 x lobster-claw, 1 x diffuser, 1 x Duracell AAA battery

Let's see some detail photos...
PN20a_02.jpg

the head contact, the design looks similar to EagleTac T-series flashlight, but in miniature form

PN20a_03.jpg

the front of body tube

PN20a_01.jpg

inside the body is the negative terminal contact spring.

PN20a_04.jpg

the body knurling and thread. PN20a has the thread anodized. The o-ring is slightly larger than PN20a2.

PN20a_05.jpg

instructions edged on the head

PN20a_06.jpg

the crenelated front, doubt it's for tactical, but more on letting one knows if light is still on when bezel down.

PN20a_07.jpg

the clip and the well thought-out lanyard/ring-hole. this PN20a can tail-stand.
clip is removable (i think, haven't try removing it), it's firm!

PN20a_08.jpg

here we have the diffuser attached. unlike EagleTac T20/P20 series, this diffuser is cap-on instead of screw-on. as usual,

EagleTac still makes the best diffuser IMO.

PNManual01.jpg

interesting bits from the included manual...

Next, let's look at PN20a2.NW and PN20a2.CW. The specifications:
PNPkg02.jpg

LED: Cree XP-E Q4 5A / Cree XP-E R2
Max Lumens: 115 (90 OTF) lumens / 130 (100 OTF) lumens
Reflector: Lite OP
Power source: 2 x AAA battery
Output modes: 2
User Interface: Forward Clickie - soft press to momentary on, press further to click-on. Mode change by tighten/loosen head
Material: Hard Anodized Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Runtime: 1 hour on High, 6 hours on general
Accessories included: 1 x O-ring, 1 x diffuser, 2 x Duracell AAA battery

PN20a2_02.jpg

the head contact, the design is different from PN20a, this is similar to EagleTac P-series flashlight

PN20a2_01.jpg

inside the body tube, the switch spring is silver in color, different from the PN20a gold plated

PN20a2_03.jpg

front of the body. the threads are not anodized in these PN20a2

PN20a2_04.jpg

instructions edged on the head

PN20a2_05.jpg

crenelated front...

PN20a2_06.jpg

the body is nice to hold, but a little too smooth.

PN20a2_07.jpg

It says "EagleTac PN20a2 Pointer"... no tail-standing on PN20a2

PN20a2_08.jpg

the rubber switch boot. notice the flat cut at the side?

PN20a2_09.jpg

unscrewing the tail and you will see the forward clickie switch.

PNManual02.jpg

another interesting bits from the manual

I've capture some tint shot comparing some AAA flashlights.

From left: 4Sevens' Preon, Fenix LD05, EagleTac PN20a, iTP A3 EOS
PNBeamMed100.jpg

Exp: 1/100s, all flashlights on Medium (general on EagleTac PN20a)

PNBeamMax100.jpg

Exp: 1/100s, all flashlights on Max

PNBeamMax1000.jpg

Exp: 1/1000s, all flashlights on Max

Comparing the cool whites.
Left is 4Sevens' Preon, Right is EagleTac PN20a2.CW, both on Max
PNBeamMax2_500.jpg

Exp: 1/500s

PNBeamMax2_1000.jpg

Exp: 1/1000s

Frankly, I really don't think the general mode on EagleTac is what they claim to be, it's looks much brighter than 12/18/22 lumens than they put in the spec...

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EagleTac PN Series (more pics and text to be added soon)

Thanks for the pics I'm still waiting and waiting for the PC series. Why does the PN20a have such a large are neck is that suppose to help with heat? I wouldn't think a 70 lumen keychain light would need it.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good photos. Looking forward to the review, especially of the new 2AAA EagleTac penlight and how it compares with the Streamlight Stylus Pro. :popcorn:

HKJ

Flashaholic

Why does the PN20a have such a large are neck is that suppose to help with heat? I wouldn't think a 70 lumen keychain light would need it.

This is because of the two level selection mechanism.

polkiuj

Enlightened

Thanks for the pics I'm still waiting and waiting for the PC series. Why does the PN20a have such a large are neck is that suppose to help with heat? I wouldn't think a 70 lumen keychain light would need it.
I was wondering the same thing!

Now I see that the 1 cell light is using the mechanism of the P100/T100 series.

And the 2 cell light is using the normal P10/T10 (Sorry, I'm not updated with ET's lights) series switching mechanism.

Weird but interesting. I wonder why?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Next, let's look at PN20a2.NW and PN20a2.CW. The specifications:

Max Lumens: 115 (90 OTF) lumens / 130 (100 OTF) lumens ...
Power source: 2 x AAA battery
Output modes: 2 ...

Do the 2 output levels still function properly if you power the PN20a2 using 2 Energizer E2 lithium primary batteries instead of alkaline batteries?

Can you measure how much battery current is drawn at the 2 output levels?

Thanks.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Do the 2 output levels still function properly if you power the PN20a2 using 2 Energizer E2 lithium primary batteries instead of alkaline batteries?

No, the low level start to change at 2.7 volt, at 3.2 volt it will be the same as the high level.

Here is the current draw at high for PN2a2:
CurrentLux.png

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Thanks.

No, the low level start to change at 2.7 volt, at 3.2 volt it will be the same as the high level.
Just tested using 2 Energizer L92 AAA Lithium in PN20a2, both measure at 1.812V, it does have 2 modes tho... both mode is however brighter than when using Alkaline cells.

Current measurement: 0.14A (general), 0.60A (high)

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
rookiedaddy,

Thanks for the additional information. It sounds promising. I prefer to use Energizer lithium primary cells in my AAA and AA lights.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new PN20a has lasted exactly one day. :shakehead

On the second day (yesterday) the switching between levels stopped working. I cleaned all the contacts and tried three types of cells (alkaline, NiMH, lithium primary) but the light does no longer switch to high. It is now flying back to the dealer for a replacement. :rolleyes:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
:eek:oo: sorry to hear that guys... i already break-in mine with 2 alkalines and 1 cycle of Eneloop, mode switching is so far ok. it blinks when the cell is below 0.8V, and runtime is ok. I run High most of the time and heat is manageable.

i just tested the mode switching mechanism a good 50 cycles, seems fine. i apply DeoxIT Gold on all contacts when I first got mine, it may help with yours. :)

Let me share another photo of the PN20a tint...
PNSeries02.jpg

Last edited:

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Does anyone have a runtime for the general mode? I seen a post reporting the current draw for the preon 2 (in general) as 0.17 yet reviews show 3 1/2 hours runtime. If the pn20a2 can do 6+ hours in general and put out 90 to 100 otf I'm in.:thumbsup:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
iqwozpoom, I just did a runtime test using 2 fully charged Eneloop AAA in PN20a2, it ran from 1:45am to 9:22am (I switch it off when it reaches the brightness of ~low on Preon 2). That's more than 7 hours of runtime! nice.... :thumbsup:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
iqwozpoom, I just did a runtime test using 2 fully charged Eneloop AAA in PN20a2, it ran from 1:45am to 9:22am (I switch it off when it reaches the brightness of ~low on Preon 2). That's more than 7 hours of runtime! nice.... :thumbsup:

That's in the low/general mode I assume? Oops my mistake, I didn't see iqwozpoom's post. Great to see it gradually dims instead of instant dropoff.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

Very strange, my runtime measurements looks this way:
Runtime.png

But as I wrote earlier the PN20a is another case, it will only stay on high for 5 minutes:
Runtime.png

And this is sad, because the driver is designed to give a stabilized light output at 1.5 volt (Most drivers are not).

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
defloyd77, HKJ, my apologies, the runtime is in respond to iqwozpoom's post which is to test in general mode. :grin2:
HKJ, I get almost the same runtime pattern in high like yours for PN20a2.
I'm guessing you got a faulty PN20a unit as the runtime on mine (high) is in relative (lower output) to PN20a2. :candle: Have you contacted EagleTac or the dealer? What's their feedback?