Just for kicks...Informal station survey...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for the hell of it, I spied on everbody I work with (almost) and did an informal survey on who's using what lights...Not surprising, here's the quick and dirty:

1. Stingers: approx. 50 in use, out of 75 or so total.
2. Sl-20's: approx. 30
3. Ultrastingers: approx. 5
4. Surefire 8X:1
5. Surefire 6P: approx 4, secondary use only.
6. Surefire 9N:1
7. Inova X5:1
8. Magcharger:2
9. Misc. aluminum bodied alkaline powered units: 10 or so...
11. Weird tekna light: 1
12. Pelican M10:1
13. Pelican M11: 1...Mine! D'OH!

Again, it was very informal, and quite a few carry a smaller light, and only use a full-size duty light sparingly, or it's kept in the car.

Out of a 75 person station, Stingers rule, and it's like that for the whole Department. I think the era of the full size (i.e. SL-20 or Mag) duty light as a full time tool is winding down...Personally, I carry about 35 pounds of "stuff" while on duty, and I don't need a big-arse light hanging from my belt (and the Ultrastinger is spending more time in the car instead of out), contributing to the various back and kneee problems, etc...

--dan

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
only 1 person use the SF 9N and the inova X5? I like the inova a lot... if only each and everyone of the LEDs are driven Arc AAA style....

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Scorpions...Issue light is a 3-Cell "D" model, from Mag or Streamlight (depending on what the supplier has in stock).

--dan

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
Why Stingers instead of Ultra Stingers? I thought the Ultra's were superior.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would guess cost and moreover...size.