New Surefire

benw

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPR'ers,

I wanted to show you my latest Surefire creation, maybe my coolest yet. I originally had a 918FA fore-end for my shotgun (basically a 9 volt M3) Last week I parted out he M3 and bought a LM2-BK LED replacement.

Originally, I had a Surefire A21 converter ring and Z41 tail-cap that would convert the 918FA into quasi M3.

Now, I received the LM2-BK i ordered and want to see if I could use it as a stand-alone light since the 918 was 3x123 and this is 2x123.

Lo and behold, it works, and it is damn bright (and small). ENJOY!!

DSC_5757.jpg

DSC_5756.jpg

DSC_5755.jpg

DSC_5754.jpg

Original M3 Lego

DSC_5482.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm doubly impressed.
Firstly because I didn't expect anybody on CPF to get themselves a LM2 Lamp Module so soon, and
Secondly because I didn't expect anybody to "Lego" the LM2 with the A21 Universal Housing Body so soon either.

FYI, the 918FA you have uses the LM90 Lamp Module (Millennium Series).

Your photos have got me thinking about whether those combinations can be 'named'.

The L90 with A21 & TailCap is 950-00. I suppose that could lead to the LM90 to be M950-00

The LM2 combination could be 650L-00... :shrug: :thinking: :confused:

benw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!! I was never truly happy with the 918FA. I felt that is was a little too large and long with the M3 head.

In addition, I never felt perfectly comfortable with the MN10 and MN11 several inches away from 3" Magnum 00 Buck blast. I know the bulbs are shock mount and ruggedized, but in a SHTF situation, you never know.

I will post a pick later of the LM2-Bk mounted in the 918 fore-end.

Ben

benw

Newly Enlightened
Pics on the shotty as promised. Much smaller than the original 918 M3.

DSC_5761.jpg

DSC_5759.jpg

DSC_5480.jpg

DSC_5762.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Looks great and, I'm sure, works even better. You Americans are so lucky: As stated elsewhere and elsetime, thanks to LA P Gear I'm having an electrician's tape summer in that regard- and that will be in a wilderness area were the local people are being menaced both by large ursines and large canines.

Can you tell the Significant Other is a field biologist??

Nathan

Enlightened
The first thought I had when I saw the new LM2 and LM1 was, "I wonder if there's a body these will fit on?" Thanks for showing me the answer. Looks awesome. :thumbsup:

purelite

Enlightened
wow that is cool. I am totally lost on these new Surefires

So the LM2 is a wepaon mount light with no rear end? and with an A21 and a Tailcap like the Z41 you can make it into a 2 cell handheld?

How much is the LM2? and where can you get it?

Size15's

Flashaholic
wow that is cool. I am totally lost on these new Surefires

So the LM2 is a wepaon mount light with no rear end? and with an A21 and a Tailcap like the Z41 you can make it into a 2 cell handheld?

How much is the LM2? and where can you get it?
The LM1 and LM2 are Lamp Modules. Like other Lamp Modules they screw into WeaponLight Housings.
Some Housings are dedicated replacement forends such as used by shotguns. SureFire offer a Classic Universal WeaponLight that secures via a variety of mounting solutions.
These WeaponLights use the A21 Classic Universal WeaponLight Housing Body. The A21 is the housing between the Lamp Module which screws into the front, and the TailCap switch assembly which screws onto the rear.

You can therefore use the A21 and a TailCap such as the Z41 to create a handheld model from a Lamp Module.

Any SureFire dealer and SureFire directly can be used to order these WeaponLight components and your TailCap switch choice.

troon

Newly Enlightened
I am very impressed with your work!!! Thank you for showing us what you have done. I also enjoy seeing your weapon together with with the led. Looks nice!!!

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you have beam pattern shots???

I ordered a KX4 head to replace the head on my incan 618FA forend, but I have 2 so I thought I might order the LM1/LM2 for my second one.

benw

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I do not have any beamshots, but I can say the LM2 is almost identical to a Surefire LX2 if you have one or have seen one. I am sure you can find beamshots of the LX2. The head of the LM2 and LX2 look identical to me.

It is a great combo of focused and flood. It is very very bright and way smaller than my older 918FA which stuck out several inches.

Ben

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the LM2 + A21 + Kroma Tail-Cap (not sure of deignation) is kinda like a black LX2 since the resisitor is in the tailcap of the Kroma??? Awesome!

:devil:

I have the 918FA as well (and actually like it), and putting it on my M962 Body (MH60?), and using the KT4, it makes a 12V Weapon Light! (Leopard Light/M98x???).

:devil:

Now I just need a Remington 700 :broke:

Size15's

Flashaholic
So, the LM2 + A21 + Kroma Tail-Cap (not sure of deignation) is kinda like a black LX2 since the resisitor is in the tailcap of the Kroma??? Awesome!
The LX2 has two discrete modes that are switched according to the resistance or lack-of of the TailCap.
The LM2, like the KX2C has a single-mode output. I doubt the Kroma TailCap would work.
BTW, the Kroma two-stage push-button pressure switch TailCap has no 'designated' model number.

I have the 918FA as well (and actually like it), and putting it on my M962 Body (MH60?), and using the KT4, it makes a 12V Weapon Light! (Leopard Light/M98x???)
The Millennium Universal WeaponLight Series is based on the MH90 Millennium Universal Housing Body.
FYI, the ScoutLight Housing Body is the MH60 for the two-SF123A version, and the MH30 for the single-SF123A version.

Obviously you mean using the Millennium TurboHead from the KT4 TurboHead Kit rather than the whole kit because the Kit's MN15/MN16 Lamp Assemblies should not be powered by four-SF123As.

The 'traditional' LeopardLight used the L120M Lamp Module (and A21 Classic Universal Housing Body, with TailCap remote switch).
Depending on the firearm and application, the LeopardLights were either an M4 with UMxx TailCap remote switch, or an M98 Series model.

I've never directly compared an LU20 Lamp Module used by the M98 with the LM90 Lamp Module used by the 918FA... I was under the impression the LM90 was longer...? Have you put the LM90 on the MH90 with Millennium TurboHead & MN60/MN61 Lamp Assembly and four-SF123As and fired it up?

SurefireFanatic

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPR'ers,

I wanted to show you my latest Surefire creation, maybe my coolest yet. I originally had a 918FA fore-end for my shotgun (basically a 9 volt M3) Last week I parted out he M3 and bought a LM2-BK LED replacement.

Originally, I had a Surefire A21 converter ring and Z41 tail-cap that would convert the 918FA into quasi M3.

Now, I received the LM2-BK i ordered and want to see if I could use it as a stand-alone light since the 918 was 3x123 and this is 2x123.

Lo and behold, it works, and it is damn bright (and small). ENJOY!!

DSC_5757.jpg

DSC_5756.jpg

DSC_5755.jpg

DSC_5754.jpg

Original M3 Lego

DSC_5482.jpg

I have this exact setup. However, the Z44 activates the light only when you twist the cap. The momentary press of the button does not activate the light at all. I tried two different Z44's and am waiting on a Z44 McClicky to see if that makes a difference.