My Zebralight H31W review with comparisons

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was one of the lucky recipients of the zebralight H31W
I won at our DFW get together last week.

I'm very very pleased with it....

I already have the h60w uses 18650 battery and an H30 which uses a cr123 and I am most happy with my new H31W.

Since I have two, you may ask "why do you need three?".. only to share!.... especially while I'm fishing at night and have two other guys in the boat.. we all get one!

My new one is my favorite for several reasons...
Its smaller and less noticeable strapped on the forehead as it uses the cr123 "I'm using a rechargable however". the H60w "was" my favorite light as its beam is so wide it gives you a feeling its not nightime even though it really is as everything in front of you have a nice soft light to it.
For anyone who jogs or gets sweaty while using these, I recommend the lighter ones that use the cr123.... AA is prob ok to.

But my new H31w is twice as bright on high and has a nice spill thats just was wide as the others but also has a piercing beam that cuts a long distance.... they are two different lights completely... notice how the reflector size is much bigger on the new ones too and the die is small.. allowing lots of throw.

And yes, for soft lighting the warm is easier for the brain to interpret what you see... if you don't believe me.. throw a penny or small object into the grass and try to find it with a warm light verses not.. the warm will be easier to interpret what you see.
The higher kelvins are more useful with very intense lights.

I found this out while fishing in my boat at night with tying line, dangling fishing lures, dealing with ropes, cable, bouncing fish into the boat, etc......warm was better.

H31W left, H60 Middle, H30 right

5d9c306b.jpg

7766bec2.jpg

e5dcf5e0.jpg

e9f9bef1.jpg

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! Can you post some straight ahead beamshot photos, specifically comparing the H31 and H30? I really like my H30, but was looking for something with a little tighter beam.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! Can you post some straight ahead beamshot photos, specifically comparing the H31 and H30? I really like my H30, but was looking for something with a little tighter beam.

Its hard to catch that.. the beam is so soft from the H30 and H60 compared to the strong center beam of the H31 that the stronger light from the H31 overpowers the others and the pic comes out bad.. so thats a tricky request.

But during a cloudy day, I can shoot 12 feet and see basically nothing with the other two but the H31 gives a nice beam thats quite tight.

If you want throw, you will be happy with the 31.

I feel it gives the best of both worlds because the spill is basically the same angle as the others but it also has the center shaft of light.

Looking at the shot I did where they are shooting sideways against the seat in my boat gives you a clue to the beam patterns of all three.

If I had not won this light I would have never bought it because I wouldn't have thought it offered anything my others didn't already give..
but now that I've had my hands on it... I would buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have it.

I could try to do a beamshot.. but the beams of the other two are so wide that they grossly overlap each other as well as the spill from the H31.... so the center beam of the H31 will look obviously dramatic in comparison.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, Windstrings. I've been thinking about getting this light for a while, but you've convinced me that this would be an excellent light for my collection. At the present time I really don't have a decent headlamp, and there are times when I need hands free illumination.

Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
Ok, bringing this thread back from the dead because I just ordered a Zebralight H31w with an XP-G R4 Neutral, and most existing threads were discussing the H31F or H31Fw.

http://www.zebralight.com/H31w-Headlamp-XP-G-Neutral-White_p_53.html

Anybody else have the new H31w? The XP-G R4 Neutral is a great emitter, I love it on my Quarks, but I wanted to try a neutral headlight.

I've got the XP-E version. I like it a lot, but I'm tempted to get a new one with an XP-G. I'd be interested to read what you think about it when you get it.

tuelleric

Enlightened
Anybody else have the new H31w? The XP-G R4 Neutral is a great emitter, I love it on my Quarks, but I wanted to try a neutral headlight.

Yes, my H31Fw arrived last week, but I cannot fire it up as I do not have a battery for it yet. :banghead: One CR123 cost around 10 Euros here, what is about 14 $...

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
I've got the XP-E version. I like it a lot, but I'm tempted to get a new one with an XP-G. I'd be interested to read what you think about it when you get it.
Well I got it today. I don't have the XP-E version, but I do have an XP-E neutral Quark MiNi AA which I consider a bit too warm and the hotspot too small. But the H31w with XP-G Neutral has a tint almost identical to my Quark XP-G neutrals, which is so far my favorite tint.

What is striking about the H31w that I really love is how small it is in comparison to even a Quark 123. Here is a comparison:

h31w_quark123.png

I think I found my new EDC!

pobox1475

Enlightened
I have an H30w. Is the H31w different enough to warrant another expenditure? How much different is the XP-G from the XP-G in the 31w?

My 30 is great for close up work and to carry in a bag just in case.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
The H31w has a hot spot because it has a reflector. It is not a flood light like the H30 and the H501, so it is not as good for close up work where you just want flood. But it will light up my park set in the backyard which is something the H30 wouldn't be able to do.

tuelleric

Enlightened
Yesterday I was able to buy a moderately priced cr123, so I finally could try my H31Fw. Wow, I am impressed. So much light out of that little light. On high it illuminates nearly my whole backyard. The beam is wide and even and has a very beautiful tint.
It is my first and only Zebralight so far, so I cannot compare it to the H30 or H31w. But for my purposes it seems to do a very good job as a floody headlamp/flashlight.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
My first Zebralight too, I know they don't recommend RCR123 batteries because "Runtimes are usually much shorter with rechargeable RCR123 (16340) batteries, especially with protected 16340s that have higher discharge cut off voltage," but last night I ran my H31w on high for about 30 minutes, and not only did the light turn off, but my battery measured 3.05V which is a big no-no for Li-Ions. I think my battery is permanently damaged. Ugh.

edc3

Enlightened
I ordered the new XP-G H31W. It should be here today. So I'll be able to directly compare the XP-E and XP-G versions, if anyone is interested.

srfreddy

Enlightened
My first Zebralight too, I know they don't recommend RCR123 batteries because "Runtimes are usually much shorter with rechargeable RCR123 (16340) batteries, especially with protected 16340s that have higher discharge cut off voltage," but last night I ran my H31w on high for about 30 minutes, and not only did the light turn off, but my battery measured 3.05V which is a big no-no for Li-Ions. I think my battery is permanently damaged. Ugh.

3 volts isn't that big of a problem, I've charged cells that sat at 2.7 volts for years.

edc3

Enlightened
Well, the mailman came and no light. We did get a bunch of mail addressed to another business. I hope they didn't get my light. I'll swing by work tomorrow and see if it's delivered. If I get it I'll try to do some comparison shots with my old one. BTW, I hope Windstrings doesn't mind that we're sort of hijacking his thread...