Is the 3 color Coleman LED Max 115 lumen much brighter than the 65 lumen model?

aab

Newly Enlightened
I went to buy a flashlight and after looking at all of them for a good while at the hardware store I decided the Coleman LED Multicolor 65 lumen was the best deal. I really love its compact size, nice simple design and high brightness. In fact it's as bright or even brighter than my huge rechargeable 27 LED flashlight which I will sell on ebay.

Online I saw there is a 115 lumen model of the otherwise same multicolor flashlight. Is there really a big difference? Has anyone compared the 65 and 115 lumen models?

I'm wondering if I should return the 65 lumen model I bought and buy one, or even 2 of the 115 lumen model on ebay, especially since it's half the price I paid for the 65 lumen model.

I just hope I can find the packaging to return it as I threw it away since I liked the flashlight so much I was sure I'd keep it until I saw there was a 115 lumen model but I'm sure I can find it in the trash bag.

Thanks

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general when you double the lumen output like that you will notice a difference but it won't appear anything like a doubling of what you are looking at.

Also, it depends on batteries and what current the two lights are driven at as to whether it's even a big deal.

If you are using alkaline batteries (which decline in constant output pretty quickly anyway) and if the differences in the two lights are due to driving them harder rather than just improvements in emitter efficiency then the 115 lumen model may decline in output faster than the 65 lumen model so except for when you've just put in new batteries there may not be much noticeable different in output anyway.

You may find there is no reason to switch lights. Especially if the one you have and like is bright enough for the way you generally use it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hmmm not many replies?

IIRC the 65 lumen light uses an XRC and the 115 model uses an XRE. (dont quote me on that, until others confirm). Every XRC application I have seen was noticeably less output than a comparable XRE. So in otherwords yes I do believe the difference will be significant.

Last edited:

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 Coleman Max lights, both claiming to be 115 lumens. The good one is a 2 CR2 that was $25- with batteries at wal mart, and is about as bright as my Nitecore EZ CR2. The other is a 2 AA that is not even close, (maybe 50 lumens). The good thing about these is you can bring them back to W-M if you don't like them!:)

aab

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone compared the 65 and 115 lumen models?