Firewall questions

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was using dial-up I could search and download files from MP3Raid.com.
Now with DSL I can still access the site but all search inquiries result in "no results found".
I can search just fine from my NT server at work.
Does this sound like a Firewall issue?
If so what sort of adjustments would I likely I have to make?

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Do you use a router at home? If so, like me, you'll have to open up one of the ports, I can't remember if it's 6699 or 6999 or even 6669. It's one of those, but I'll have to check a little later on when I'm back at home. Prior to opening that port, on Kazaa and OpenNap, all I got was the same result: no files found. But upon opening the correct port, everything works fine now. I have the Linksys BRT-F11, fyi.

Ed.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooohh...
Sounds like you're onto the answer.
The router is built-in to the DSL modem.
It's a 2Wire Home Portal.
Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
an easy option would be to configure your download client to use port 0, a lot of routers are set to allow traffic on this port by default.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
an easy option would be to configure your download client to use port 0, a lot of routers are set to allow traffic on this port by default.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you rephrase that for a brain-dead networking newbie?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No help from MP3Raid but Kazaa says that port 1214 must be unblocked.
Wonder if it's the same?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, i can help with kazaa, but MP3raid is a new one to me.
First of all, go to http://www.kazaalite.tk/ and download kazaalite, if you havent got that already.(no annoying popups). go to the menu bar along the top and select options/kazaa lite options/firewall. there is a little box there that has the port used. just change this value to 0.

Word of warning : if you are a serial freeloa....i mean downloader (like me) and have mutiple clients running, you can only use this trick for 1 filesharing client, as you cant have more than one app using port 0.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this makes no sense to me.....

I was playing around with the links found in this thread: Testing the security of your internet connection

and I wanted to see if my own firewall had stealth settings.

Well, it did and I turned them on and that seems to have fixed my MP3Raid problems.
Isn't stealth supposed to be even more secure?
How could turning on stealth suddenly allow ports to communicate?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Stefan

Enlightened
Stealth is more secure. Its different in this instance because you are sending out requests on that particular service (kazaa et al). Therefore you are initializing a 2 way connection for file sharing. Stealth would make it so random hackers out there cannot see your computer connected to the internet.