After the transplant... I'm ready to GO!!!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
After the transplant... I\'m ready to GO!!!

This last weekend my three boys and I formed a pit crew and transplanted the engine in my 1953 GMC. It had a tired 350 in it. I have put around 170000 miles on it and it was in the truck for 5 years before I bought it. It had flat cam lobes and was starting to backfire through the intake manifold. Every time I started it up, there was a puff of blue smoke, and pulling a trailer over the pass was getting to be more difficult.

I have been planing this transplant for over a year now. Now it is a reality.

My first choice was the tuned port fuel injection Ram Jet 350. I was all set to modify the fuel system to handle the return lines to both gas tanks, but further research revealed that 92 octane gas was highly recommended. I was in Anchorage last month and stopped at a Shell station to fill up and realized that their premium gas was rated 90 octane.

If the truck was a weekend driver only, this would not be an issue. This truck is my daily driver, and the extra 0.20 per gallon would cost a lot over the next 200000 miles. Also, if the supreme octane rating continues to drop, in a few years 87 octane may be premium.

The next option was GMPP P/N 12496968. The 350 HO deluxe crate engine. This is what we dropped in.

WOW!!! What a difference.

Time to go and polish some chrome.

Tom

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: After the transplant... I\'m ready to GO!!!

SilverFox... I thought something completely different when I first read your subject line. "Wow, I went from an IQ of 140 to 240 and it was cheap too!". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds cool. I once swapped a 350 in my 1981 3/4 ton chevy truck. The swap was a low mileage engine and not new. I later loaned it to a buddy and the engine punched a rod through the oil pan. I went to swap the engine out again (this time with a remanufactured engine) and my landlord called the cops on me for working on my truck in the parking lot. I decided to just drop the old engine back in and sell the whole thing for scrap.

Peter