Just received my first maglite

jason 77

Enlightened
Like the title says I just got my first maglite in the mail today, it's a red 5D maglite. I really wasn't thinking of how big a 5D would be but man this thing is huge to me! LOL
img0850h.jpg

I just need to figure out what kind of LED light retrofit I should do to this thing. I already have a aspherical lens for it from DX.
img0849b.jpg

img0851cc.jpg

Just thought I would share...

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for a Cree XRE R2
Push the emitter at 1.2A
and you will have yourself a crazy thrower

On the other hand, if your looking for a MONSTER
try a SST50 or SST90 with the aspheric lens :devil:

CampingLED

Enlightened
Tried that lens on a MagLED and you need to get it further from the emitter to get optimum throw. You therefore need to fit a LED deeper than the average bulb / LED replacement.

jason 77

Enlightened
Go for a Cree XRE R2
Push the emitter at 1.2A
and you will have yourself a crazy thrower

On the other hand, if your looking for a MONSTER
try a SST50 or SST90 with the aspheric lens :devil:

Yeah was leaning towards the cree XRE R2.....

Tried that lens on a MagLED and you need to get it further from the emitter to get optimum throw. You therefore need to fit a LED deeper than the average bulb / LED replacement.

Yeah I just ordered it as it was one of the few on DX that looked like would fit in the maglite. Can you recommend where to get a better aspherical lens ?

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok the LED came today, XRE Q5 for now anyways...

Can someone confirm that the "Modified PES - D Universal Sink " listed on the sandwich shoppe will fit my 5D maglite please?

That will fit but it is not the right one to use for an aspheric.
The PES is for reflectors and it mounts into the head. With this you won't be able to adjust the focus and it probably won't be far enough from the back of the asphere to make a beam just a smooth flood.
The heatsink you need will mount into the body and be independent of the head.
Look up the H22A heatsinks

jason 77

Enlightened
That will fit but it is not the right one to use for an aspheric.
The PES is for reflectors and it mounts into the head. With this you won't be able to adjust the focus and it probably won't be far enough from the back of the asphere to make a beam just a smooth flood.
The heatsink you need will mount into the body and be independent of the head.
Look up the H22A heatsinks

Great thanks for the info.. That would explain why the measurements listed did not match up to what I was measuring on my own maglite... good thing I didn't buy one! HAHA