Best host for SST-50 P60 Drop-In?

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
O.K. not sure where to start here… I have a ton of Five Mega's creations, along with some of Mac's, too many hot wires, and a bunch of pocket edc's. I have always wondered about surefire's.

I want to purchase a SST-50 P60 drop in from nailbender but unsure about which host to purchase. I like a good quality product but not all that sold on surefire when it is just the host. I will use either an AW 18650 or 26500 with a 3 level switch. After reading through nailbender's threads he alludes to some hosts being brighter than others. Also it sounds like something that can handle a McClicky upgrade switch is a good idea. The light will most likely be used on a boat around salt water, camping, 4-wheeling.

FM's 1x26500(not sure which head)

Solarforce L2P with upgraded Lens

Surefire C2/6P

sfca

Enlightened
FM's 1x26500(not sure which head)

Solarforce L2P with upgraded Lens

Surefire C2/6P

Surefire C2. Great body design, great clip - with a clicky would be awesome.
No knurling needed for a good firm grip, nor will rain and gloves be a problem. Can't lose with that! :)

If you do want to get a clone, consider the Farka F8V5 over at the marketplace. Couple places you can get that.
*Apparently*, they may be the champ in quality for the Surefire-like lights + you get a great XP-G thrower drop-in included!

signal 13

Enlightened
Surefire C2

+1 on the C2... I actually have two now. Added a couple of SW02s that I just scored on the Market Place... A Z48 would be just as great of a tailcap to go with it

I love the C2 for duty & off duty use. I have found round body lights a little tougher to grip and manipulate the tailcap functions especially with heavy gloves or with wet hands. The C2 just locks right into your hand and besides it just looks awesome.

I just saw a few on CPFMP and highly recommend it! Surefire hosts are well made and all SF products have an awesome warranty. You break it, they'll fix or replace it.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Z2 Definitely. You might want to try a P60 "drop-over" also. A Solarforce Masterpiece Pro 1. Mine does 54,000 lux with a UCL glass lens.

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
I'm a bit confused as to why anyone would want to use the 1x26500 host for anything other than a direct drive module.

I've been looking far and wide, but I've only found just one type of battery for that specific size, and that's the AW IMR 26500 2300mAh battery.

If I had to say, I would suggest an FM 1x26650 host running off the IMR 26650 4000mAh battery. Even better if you can somehow get your hands on a finned P60 bezel. It would give you the best combination of runtime and heat management.

As for the use around saltwater, I would definitely recommend a host specifically designed for underwater use, just in case.

I can't really say for sure why some hosts would give more lumens than the others. But it could simply be shoddy internal components in the clones(factory switch vs McClicky, UCL vs cheap glass), or the host body itself has a higher resistance than other hosts.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Can the clip on the C2 be removed?

Also any thoughts on the C2 vs. the C3?

lovecpf now starting to think an FM P7 would be a nice as well!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip can be removed, but that'll leave you an empty bracket.

My vote also goes to C2. However Solarforce L2 has the benefit of offering full range of accessories and lego capabilities.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
if its not too much $ an EG bored C2 w mcclicky and a UCL +
smooth bezel. I like the taistand shroud too :thumbsup:
anyways, thats what I'm rockin ATM w a nailbender 3 mode reg
sst50 lop. pretty special. if u dont want a clip get a bored 6P.
the C3 limits drop-in selection as many are single cell.

otherwise an L2P - i just got the $20 natty ano and
it works fine but is over bored so u need to jam more
copper strips in there and some tape on the 18650.
be nice if AW made a 19700 for these ;)

Last edited:

NightKids

Enlightened
Is it possible to use 2x AW CR123A with the SST-50 drop in from nailbender?

The version I want to get is the single mode version...

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to throw one in here for the Surefire 6P with a McClicky switch.
If you don't want a clip like the C2 has you may like the 6P with a McClicky.

I'm running an SST-50 on 2x CR123 and an SST-90 on 2x CR123 in several 6P with McClicky switches and have not had any issues yet. The SST-50 is used for constant on tasks where as the SST-90 is used for short bursts of 30 - 60 seconds.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record: Lumens Factory SP-6, get the basic single mode R2 from Light Hound and you can use the twisty tail w/ IMR 18650 to drive NBs SST50. SP-6 is rated to handle high current [>2A] w/ good heat management and its very well sealed.

recDNA

Flashaholic
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record: Lumens Factory SP-6, get the basic single mode R2 from Light Hound and you can use the twisty tail w/ IMR 18650 to drive NBs SST50. SP-6 is rated to handle high current [>2A] w/ good heat management and its very well sealed.

I'm confused by the pics of the SP6 on Lighthound's site. If you look at the little pics on the side the 3rd one down has a larger head. What's up with that?

The clicky won't handle a SST-50 with IMR18650? (I hate twisties)

nbp

Flashaholic

I have a C2HA coming, and that's what I'd like to do with it. I want to put a Mcclicky in it and a NB 3 mode reg SST50. What batteries are you running? I have up til this point been able to run all my lights on primaries or Eneloops, but I can't figure out what kind of batteries I need to run this thing on. I have to do some reading in the battery forum, read up on rechargeables, which I admittedly am not super knowledgeable about. This may be the time for me to invest in some li-ions. What do you guys think?

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened

I was planning on the exact setup you described above from EG....he has a neat website now. The reason I like the C2 over the 6P...is for the square handle. Maybe I should purchase both a C2, and a 6P and try two different drop ins with the AW 18650.:grin2:

I really appreciate your words below....I would rather spend more the first time around and have something I really like....instead of loose batteries.

otherwise an L2P - i just got the $20 natty ano and
it works fine but is over bored so u need to jam more
copper strips in there and some tape on the 18650.
be nice if AW made a 19700 for these ;)

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I ordered a 6P from EG bored for an AW18650, clear lens, McClicky hard press, black bezel,...it ended up being more than a C2.:eek:

Still thinking a C2 might be in my future.

Are there any bad things regarding the Lumens factory sp-6?

The farka looks nice but the price is very un-clone like!

Thanks all for the great advice;)

sfca

Enlightened
I ordered a 6P from EG bored for an AW18650, clear lens, McClicky hard press, black bezel,...it ended up being more than a C2.:eek:

Still thinking a C2 might be in my future.

Are there any bad things regarding the Lumens factory sp-6?

The farka looks nice but the price is very un-clone like!

Thanks all for the great advice;)

Dunno about the SP-6 but I know the Farka's price may be due to the quality of the construction; maybe equal or close to SF's.

Still think for your use a C2 will definitely be better. I had a 6P... didn't like it. Unless you're carrying it in a holster - but in the hand C2's grip is much better. :thumbsup:
Add a little water in the mix and the 6P might be a little slippy.

Edit: C2 also comes with a lanyard!

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Dunno about the SP-6 but I know the Farka's price may be due to the quality of the construction; maybe equal or close to SF's.

Still think for your use a C2 will definitely be better. I had a 6P... didn't like it. Unless you're carrying it in a holster - but in the hand C2's grip is much better. :thumbsup:
Add a little water in the mix and the 6P might be a little slippy.

Edit: C2 also comes with a lanyard!

I can't decide between a C2 and a 9P. With the 9P I could run my Thrunite XP-G R5 D26 on 3 X CR123 primaries. I don't like leaving rechargeables in my car in the summer.