Differences between Novatac 120T & 85T?

flip

Enlightened
On the Novatac 85T and 120T flashlights, is the difference in the output due to the LED emitter or the circuitry? I am interested in doing a K2 upgrade and was wondering if the upgrade would give the same output in each model Novatac. No need to kill the warranty on a 120T if I can get the same results from an 85T.

I have searched for this answer but did not find it. I think I am getting adult, age related attention deficit dis...:thinking: Any and all info is much appreciated.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have looked at the same question, and I think the discussions here petered out without a definitive answer being given.

The only thing that makes sense to me, from a manufacturing and pricing standpoint, was that NT made 120s with the emitters that would actually put out 120 lumens at the highest settings, and 85s with those that didn't quite make the cut.

That still leaves the question open, though, as to whether they used the same circuit for both lights, or a modified circuit for the 85s, which omitted the highest drive current setting, on the theory that the second-rank LEDs wouldn't perform well enough to justify it. I know nothing about electronics (which is obvious to anyone who's read my posts) but this scenario doesn't really make sense to me.

So my guess, and that's all it is, is that it's the same circuitry, and the only difference is the enitters: the 120s have enitters that will actually do 120 lumens at the high drive current, and 85 have emitters that didn't make 120. Some may have done 85, some may have done 110, but they weren't doing 120 (which may explain why some reported no difference in apparent output between their 120s and 85s, though I think the difference between 85 and 120 lumens would be tough to see anyway.)

gunga

Flashaholic
It's the same circuit with the highest level omitted or disabled on the 85.

I have done K2 upgrades on both and my 120 ended up much brighter than the 85.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same circuit with the highest level omitted or disabled on the 85.

I have done K2 upgrades on both and my 120 ended up much brighter than the 85.

I guess that actually does make sense. If the 85's LEDs won't make 120 lumens at the highest current provided by the 120s circuit, why let them run at that level at all? It would just give you virtually no increase in brightness but would drastically cut the runtime.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
I have a 120P so a bit diif but my understanding was that the onl diff between the two (besides writing on the side) was programming and using the easter egg you can flip the extra level on...no actual exp but just from reading...could be completely wrong of course.