Dereelight DBS SST-50 battery questions (newbie here)

Blerv

Newly Enlightened
First I would like to say thanks for any help you can provide a newcomer. I did quite a bit of searching but some of this is over my head. :(

Im shopping for my first multi-battery light and have settled for a DBS SST-50 (It is a 3sm). I'll also be getting the aspherical and R2 pill so I have plenty of light options.

I'd rather sacrifice run time for two RCR123 sized batteries and get the extension tube for 3 of them for more run time. My questions:

1.) are IMR123s good in the 2 config for this? Would 3 be ok as well? Or would TWO protected rcr123s set be better? (Edit: I typo'ed that...sorry!)

2.) when switching to the r2 pill will I need to change batteries to avoid a *poof* LED or will the IMR's just have a huge increase in run time.

(I'm just running 2 IMR 123/16340's and taking the run-time hit. This is working great for the R2/Asph head too. I did get the 3-batt tube instead of the 18650 tube and it makes it a bit longer but I'm with Henk on that one...I prefer it being shorter. Flash Crazy did say it wouldn't be wise to run 3-16340's with this pill.)

I really appreciate any insight you can give. I promise to learn this stuff as quick as I can read up :)
(Thanks again!)

Have a great weekend,

Blerv

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I only use IMR in multi-cell lights as they are more secure than li-ions, they have less capacity though. There is no problem in using two or more IMR, just be sure which pill you order.

As you want to have a DBS SST-50, you are limited to the SM-pill, the SST50 doesn't exist in SD. There are no specs of the SST-50 on Dereelight's website, normally the 1SM pill is good from 3,4-16V and the 3SM from 3,4-9V. If you use 123 sized cells, you'll be limited to 3 of them, in practical use to 2 of them. The extension tube is for 4 x 123, 3 x 18500 or 2 x 18650.

Before you order, make up your mind about the cells, if you really don't want to use larger cells. For 123, no extender will be needed... I'll stick to 123, because I'm into small lights and don't want an extender. The runtime of the SST-50 should be good 20 minutes on high on 2 x 16340 IMR. I'm OK with that, but if you really need your light all night long, you should know that 2 x IMR 18650 have 3 times the capacity and 2 x 18650/2600 even 5 times the 16340 IMR...

The SM pills don't run on a single cell, the SD pills do. If you get two SM, you don't need to change the batteries, but you always need two cells. An SD pill runs fine on an 18650, but will go :poof: on two cells (I suppose it does, I never tried...). So, the easy and secure way is to order 2 x SM and I would take the 3SM, the 1SM is full power or nothing, for normal use you won't get happy with it.

owner

Newly Enlightened
For your information, the input voltage for DBS SST-50 3M is 3.4-15V。

maxilux

Enlightened
My Information about Dereelight SST-50 3SM Pill is 3,4V - 9V and drives at 2,5A.

owner

Newly Enlightened
The sticker on the reflector shows that the input voltage is 3.4-15V.
dbssst50.jpg

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightjunction says you need 2 batteries for the SST-50 pill. Are you sure it will regulate at 3.4 Volts?

As I wrote above : SM pills are not for use with a single cell. An 18650 has a nominal voltage of 3,6V under load and will fall soon below 3,4V (sooner even with an SST50). The result will be flickering and an early shutoff...

maxilux

Enlightened
On mine there is 3,4-15V too, that is right. But now it works near 1 hour with one 18650 battery.

Blerv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great info everyone!

I got the DBS SST50 from Flashlight Connection and FlashCrazy answered the additional questions. What a GREAT place to shop! :twothumbs The R2 and Aspherical is a kick too.

Back to the books. I gotta do more research on this stuff. :)

Blerv