KL1 - Green?

pahl

Enlightened
I see over on the BST forum someone is looking for a green KL1.
Why would you want a colored LED?
Also what colors do the KL1 come in?

Thanks,

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KL1, KL3 and L1 come in White (WH), Red (RD), Green (GN) and Blue (BL).

Why would anyone want any other colour light then white?
I have a Green KL3. I also have Green LEDs in my A2 at the moment.
I have a green PhotonII also.

The KL1 comes in either HA or GM finish.
The L1 comes in either HA or BK finish.
The KL3 comes in either HA or BK finish.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
One reason you might want green is that green is suppose to preserve your night vision.

White leds do not put out as much light as colored leds because white leds lose some efficiency by the phosphour coatings that make them appear white.

There is also the novelty [cool factor] of having a colored led.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
One reason you might want green is that green is suppose to preserve your night vision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can hear the clicks of Quickbeam typing his post about night vision colors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Green does not preserve your night vision. Red does.
Back on topic here, colors do have that cool factor. My dad has a teal EverLED, and when he shows people his lights, he always gets an "ooh" or an "aahh" from the teal color.

I get bored of white after a while too. Imagine if all of your flashlights were black HA type three. BORING!!!! The same thing, in some ways, applies to color. Some people are just looking for something different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I read that a very low level of green light is better at preserving night vision compared to red light. Green is easier to see compared to red so you get a better quality view. It is important that the green light is low intensity though.
Perhaps this is why green is used for nightvision and instrument displays? I also read that red light for illumination isn't used as much currently by certain groups in the Special Forces community.

I've never been bother enough to experiment myself though.

Al

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spec-ops and other members of military now tend to use green for low-light illumination to preserve night vision because it offers an easier transition to the green light cast in view through night vision gear. I've heard that red is still the best low level light for night vision retention, though.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I can hear the clicks of Quickbeam typing his post about night vision colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy, here we go again....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Guys, guys, guys. Green is just about the absolute worst color to preserve night vision. It's used in conjunction with electronic night vision equipment because the equipment doesn't overload when viewing green light like it does with other colors.

Exceptionally dim turquoise light is very good at preserving night vision, but if you can ID the color of the light, it's breaking down your night vision. (looks like "light", not turquoise) However, this applies to any color light, except red.

Red light at any level will preserve your night vision because the parts of your eye responsible for night vision are blind to red light. So you can use a relatively bright red light for navigation, looking at charts, seeing what's going on around you, etc, and when you shut it off you still have your low-light sensitivity.

Watch out, though. Too bright of a red light will leave afterimages on your retina that will interfere with your night vision since the afterimages in the red cones will overlap your night vision field of view. Use a somewhat dim red light if possible.

People tend to like green LED light because our Photopic (daylight) vision is more sensitive to green light and as a result green light appears brighter than any other LED light at the same power level. With green you get brighter light (almost double in the case of white vs. green KL1 modules), but no real color rendition capability. Plus consider the fact that a white LED light loses some of it's brightness because the phosphor takes the blue light of the led (yes, it's really a blue LED under there) and spreads out the spectral output across a larger number of frequencies - not as bright, but wider color spread. Sort of like going from a narrow hose nozzel to a wide spray - less pressure but larger area of coverage.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
pahl,

I was the one that originally was looking for the KL1 in Green over at B/S/T.

Night vision/smight vision.... I just think a greek KL1 would be cool!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus, I like green too! I like my Turquoise AAA the best though, much brighter than white AAA's and just a cool color, it does cast some artifacts due to the lack of phosphor to even out the beam but it's still very cool!! I would like a green KL1 for my E1e! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam, I use an original CMG Infinity in red for night vision retention because the light level is just enough to read a map or search for something in my bag with but not enough to affect my NV. Red Photon II's are pretty good too but can be a little too bright.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pahl

Enlightened
Quickbeam,
Very interesting, thanks!

I have a white KL1, but it has a lite blue tint. I don't mind the blue color at all.

I tried a red filter on a E2e-HA/MN03 but it was not what I expected.

Maybe a KL1 in red would be a better way to go if I want a red light for close up lighting at night.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a red, green, and blue KL1. My green one was by accident, but I really like it. I had gotten the red one for outdoors at night. I had figured it was too bright for indoors. I use a real tiny red LED for indoors. The blue one is just to have it and goof around with it, sorta like my Royal Blue MadMax.

Quickbeam hit the nail on the head, again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif --maybe there should be a "sticky" to refer to so you don't have to go back to your old posts or re-type it all./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I had tried the red and blue filters on my E2e and an E2o, but was disappointed with them as well. They just weren't what I was looking for where the LED's are exactly what I wanted.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I didn't read previous thread(s) on nightvision coloured light. It's good to learn new things.
Personally, for seeing stuff in the dark I prefer a low level red (A2's LED's) compared to the low output white from the L1 for example.
I find low output red light be quite soft on the eyes in the dark.

Al

Latest posts