iTP A6 Polestar... my impressions.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Have had my A6 Polestar for a couple of days now — and bearing in mind this is my very first LED flashlight — these are a few of my thoughts about it.

Overall: AUD$99 delivered. Excellent build quality; no flaws in anodizing, which is low-sheen and matching on all parts. Compact form factor and well-balanced in the hand. Rubber-covered side switch even and responsive feel with solid and positive click. All modes intuitive. Oversize knurling works well with no slip from hand. Proportions of body to head well matched. Heat-sink fins deep and well machined/anodized. Tail stands very firmly and tail-cap flats prevent roll.

Pros: Perfect round beam and hot-spot. No rings or artifacts other than Cree white-wall "cross" at less than 60cm distance. Shallow, light OP reflector provides plenty of spill. Last-mode memory. Location of switch below head on body side well-suited for shape/mass of light. Mass evenly distributed between head and tail ends. Six AAs good compromise between run-time, size, and costing. Nice brushed lining holster with Velcro closure, belt loop and carabiner. Tailcap threads smooth and lightly greased with one/eighth turn to switching lock-out. Two spare O-rings plus neck lanyard. Low 12 lumen mode ideal for indoors.

Cons: From unmeasured visual observation, less than advertised emitter 700 lumens. Head appears to be bonded permanently to body shell. Lanyard mounting hole in tail-cap indent too small/awkward to be practical. Supplied lanyard too long for wrist use and its carabiner too large for tail-cap mounting hole.

General: No issues with battery carrier as far as connectors, polarity, structural integrity. Potential issues with replacing side-mounted clicky if necessary due to limited/zero access. Flattened brass contact under pill does not have to take any unsupported loading from carrier as tail-cap spring has ample length and compressive strength to provide adequate electrical contacts. Alleged thinness of handle wall seems not to be a major issue for non-combatant scenarios. Throws to at least 100 metres with person-sized targets easily identifiable. Evenly projected and largish side spill with definite but soft cutoff line. Cool white light with slight mauve/green tint.

Summation: Overall an excellent flashlight choice considering build, form and function — particularly for its low pricing point. Ideal as a first-timer's entry-level light. Bridges the (potential) gap between pocketable/keyring EDCs and physically large throwers/spotlights. Would not recommend for combat and/or LEO users.

And as I've said, please bear in mind that this is my first LED flashlight, so some of my opinions — although personal — may not match the consensus view.

— Cheers, Jack. :)

chenko

Enlightened
I wonder if such flashlight could be run with 6 NiZn batteries to provide the lumens it is intended to emit. MCE-based flashlights generally accept that voltage range and a similar MCE AA-powered light (Fenix TK40) uses 8 cells, not 6. This would be interesting, and NiZn batteries seem to perform very well while being relatively cheap! :)

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if such flashlight could be run with 6 NiZn batteries to provide the lumens it is intended to emit. MCE-based flashlights generally accept that voltage range and a similar MCE AA-powered light (Fenix TK40) uses 8 cells, not 6. This would be interesting, and NiZn batteries seem to perform very well while being relatively cheap! :)

I'm new to most of this battery technology, so I'm assuming you're referring to these:

greenbatteries-store_2102_78125

http://www.greenbatteries.com/nickel-zinc-aa-rechargeable-batteries-and-charger.html

Are these an acceptable alternative to NiMH batteries? Will they increase the lumen output noticeably in practice? Or only theoretically?

— Thanks, Jack. :)

CM2010

Enlightened
Glad you found a light you are happy with as you did alot of research into which light would suit you.

chenko

Enlightened
@jack
Yes, those are the batteries I'm talking about but... I wouldn't advise you to put them in the A6 without knowing for sure the operating voltage of the flashlight. I looked for it, but it seems it can't be found anywhere in the web. Maybe a more informed CPFer could answer our doubts, or you could try contacting the dealer you bought the flashlight from or even ITP itself. I'll be watchnig this thread for news! :)

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review - well structured and to the point! I have to agree with your review regarding the less than expected output. The sample I tested looked to output less than 400 floody lumens. The TK40 I compared it with looked to be twice as bright with superior throw - but I too do not have measuring equipment to verify actual output numbers.

I hope you find your new light to be a useful acquisition. Pray to God you don't get the sudden urge to buy more!

James....

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
I believe that Going Gear once stated that the maximum voltage is 10 volts. So, using NiZn batteries would definitely be risky, especially hot off the charger. I have read that a NiZn battery can come off the charger at around 1.8 volts or so.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review - well structured and to the point! I have to agree with your review regarding the less than expected output. The sample I tested looked to output less than 400 floody lumens. The TK40 I compared it with looked to be twice as bright with superior throw [...]

Thanks James...:D

I'm sounding like a stuck record I know, but the TK40 should potentially — and in the hand — perform a lot better overall than the A6 considering it's twice the price! The TK40 was one of the lights on my original short list, but lost a lot of points because of its near-$200 pricing in Australia. And although I'm definitely an "AA person", the 8 No. in the TK40 might be stretching the friendship a tiny bit!

From the various beam shots I've seen in the reviews on CPF, I'd be guessing around 400-ish for the A6 as well James (as purely guesswork). But for a 100 metre range — which is all I need — 400 "genuine" OTF lumens is fine for me out of the A6.

— Cheers, Jack. :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I've had two Polestars (still have one) and it's around 450 out the front lumens with fresh cells. Still a far cry from 700, but it's a really bright flashlight either way.