Commercial interests = CPF censorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
An hour or so ago, I posted the following topic:
One of the current CPF banner advertisement reads:

"IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN A PEAK AT US RECENTLY THEN YOUR MISSING SOME COOL STUFF"

Unless I'm unwittingly missing some subtle homophonic play on words here, this is a sad commentary on the pitiful standards of English within our younger generations.

The pronoun in question here is a form of the possessive case of "you", and used incorrectly in this case as an attributive adjective, rather than the correct contraction the writer was, obviously unsuccessfully, seeking.

We also find, with embarrassing regularity, "should of" et al, when in fact the writer means should have or should've. There's a thousand other lamentable examples too.

Or am I simply suffering from a bad case of pedantry?
Within a mere fifteen minutes, my thread was locked! A whole NINE lines of text. The reason given? It had already been done to death in other previous post(s). Yeah; sure. If that were the case, why didn't the moderator then provide a link to that post so I could add my little bit? Because — I'm guessing — it doesn't exist.

This is a classic case of allegedly unbiased, impartial and non-commercially involved cyber-media in fact kowtowing to their site's advertisers. Ooh, ooh... we can't risk upsetting PEAK flashlights can we, by letting one of our posters have a gentle jibe at their (deserved) expense.

If — and I'm guessing it will be! — this topic is deleted by a moderator, I can only perceive it as evidence in the affirmative for my allegations. I'm disappointed that my harmless little dig at PEAK's ad was seized upon with such alacrity on their behalf by a CPF moderator — particularly when they allow so much other rubbish to slip through to the catcher's mitt.

Apparently, we can talk about CPF's sponsors as long as we don't rubbish them? Even indirectly?

— Pretty sad really guys. :( I was enjoying myself on CPF. Jack.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
in B4 lock

But, seriously... A private person owns this site. They allow us to use it, and if they feel that a jibe at a respected company and their advertisements is unwanted, they can remove it.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things are moderated tightly around here. It's a little disrespectful of the contributions that fellow posters make but that's the way it is around here.

Empath

Flashaholic
Censorship is irrelevant to this thread. The important aspect of this thread is the casual approach you take to breaking our rules.

Concerns of moderator actions, as suggested by those rules, can be addressed personally by PM or email, but not as an open discussion on the board. If a more public display is needed, you're also welcome to address the issue in the Underground.

Please, before you continue with your use of this board, read the rules.

This thread, too, is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.