Desert Tan Fulton Anglehead XP-G

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is the first XP-G anglehead mod.

I found a website that had one Desert Tan Anglehead left and purchased it for this mod. My previous seoul modified anglehead now belongs to my Pastor to travel around the world on mission trips.

This anglehead I decided to add a little more ooomph, and went with a Madmax wide open plus. The LED is the XP-G r5 mounted on a 20mm board and attatched to a piece of aluminum I found at work. I drilled out the bottom and potted the MM+ in the heatsink.

You will have to excuse the cotton on the bottom of the potted MM+. I put a small amount of a cotton ball in the anglehead to check out the beam before I attatched the reflector to the LED and some stuck to the bottom:ohgeez:, the reason for this is the crappy Loctite clear epoxy, I don't know if I got a bad batch but it was suppose to setup in 60 mintues and even after a few days it was still tacky. I will go back to the superior Devcon clear 30 minute epoxy.

The reflector is the most excellent reflector for the XP-G. It is 41 x 31 and only requires a slight trim to the inside lip of the anlehead to fit flush in the light. I epoxied the reflector to the heatsink so that it would transfer heat to the reflector and not move around at all.

IMO, this is the ultimate reflector/LED combo for the Fulton anglehead. Now on to the pictures.

Heatsink and LED
fulton003medium.jpg

Back of heatsink
fulton005medium.jpg

Reflector
fulton006medium.jpg

fulton008medium.jpg

Notice how close the reflector mates to the emitter board for more heat dissipation to the reflector.
fulton013medium.jpg

Epoxied the reflector to the HS with the good stuff! 5 Minute Devcon clear.:party:
fulton025medium.jpg

fulton025medium.jpg

This shows how the reflector sits after a little trim to the mouth of the anglehead.
fulton039medium.jpg

Next are some reflector and body photos. Excuse the ugly plastic lens, I have some glass on the way. :)
fulton052medium.jpg

fulton053medium.jpg

fulton073medium.jpg

fulton079medium.jpg

fulton080medium.jpg

fulton081medium.jpg

fulton084medium.jpg

fulton085medium.jpg

fulton086medium.jpg

fulton087medium.jpg

fulton088medium.jpg

I will add some beamshots in the coming days when time allows.

I hope this will help guide some in modding this great light. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Really nice setup. Questions. Will you using Alkaline D's or NiMh's? What is the current draw at the tailcap? Did you measure current to the LED? Thanks,

Bill

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome job, very clean,
i always wanted to mod anglehead, one day i will

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really nice setup. Questions. Will you using Alkaline D's or NiMh's? What is the current draw at the tailcap? Did you measure current to the LED? Thanks,

Bill

I am using alkalines for now, and may buy some NiMh later.

I did not measure at the LED, but I will measure at the tailcap and post here.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested the current from the tailcap and it's a solid 1 amp. I would imagine that the LED is seeing a little more. This thing is bright! I wish I could come up with a way to have a low and a high.:thinking: Any ideas from fellow modders appreciated.

Maybe some kind of resistor in the tail?

I left the light on for about 5 mintues and the felt of the heatsink and reflector, it was only warm at that point. I am sure as the batteries run down the current will drop also.

Outside the light has really good throw and a nice spill beam. It's about time someone came up with an excellent reflector for the XP-G. Kudos to Dealextreme!

I removed the extra ring from the end of the anglehead that allows you to put filters on, and this increased the spill by about double. I am sure once I add a glass lens the output will increase ever so slightly.

Next update will be beamshots, probably later this evening. I just have to find a light in my collection to measure it against.

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
first I have to agree with you, do not use loctite epoxy it is brutal! That Devcon stuff is much easier to use and it sets up like it says.

As far as the mod that is RaD. I always wanted an angle head. Now I have to start looking for one.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cut off is 2.6 volts. Need a boost driver.

Bill

+1

The Madmax+ that I am using now goes down to 0.8 volts. It is a great driver for what I wanted to do which was more output, I just didn't expect such a scorcher. Even with the 1 amp draw it will still run quite a while with 2 D batteries and should have a long trailing output that will not leave you in the dark.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
first I have to agree with you, do not use loctite epoxy it is brutal! That Devcon stuff is much easier to use and it sets up like it says.

Yup, the Loctite not only does not dry as suggested, it has that awful yellow tint to it unlike Devcon. I only wish Wal-Mart still carried it in stores, what a mistake. :(

As far as the mod that is RaD. I always wanted an angle head. Now I have to start looking for one.

Thanks! This is where I bought mine.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

though I guess it s kaidomain?

Bingo!

Parts list
Reflector
MadMad Wide Open Plus
Flashlight
Glass lens I have not tried these yet since I don't have them. Should be real soon, I will report back on these.
The XP-G LED was purchased from swrdply400mrelay on CPFMP. He does not have any more so you're on you own. :)

Any other questions, please ask in this thread so it can benefit others.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks...have this glass but it is too narrow . have fited mine with an outer ring of singlke stand telephone wire WOTH its insulation.....