Which 1 x AA for EDC?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix L1T v2 has gone missing (I'm sure I'll find it, but it might be in 2011), so I'm down to only 1 AA EDC light, which is unacceptable.

My current AA EDC is the Jet 1 Pro v 3 with a Q3 5A emitter. It is bright (to me at least) for a 1 x AA light, has good throw and the F04 diffuser fits perfectly, so I can have a flood beam, too. In short, I am very pleased with it, my only criticism being that I don't think the clip is so great, though better than many, and it is a bit large for a 1 x AA, but that does make it very comfortable to hold, so it's not really a criticism.

So, I could just get another Jet 1 Pro, but I'm also finding myself interested in the D10 and the NDI. If I got another Jet, I'd get the R2 cool white (and probably wait for the olive anodized version...just so that it differs from my current Jet).

With the D10 and the NDI, I'm torn between the nice warm Q3 XR-E with some ringiness (which doesn't seem bad on my EX10 with the Q3 XR-E) and the XP-E R2, which should give me a smoother beam, although with a cool white tint. I can live with that as long as it doesn't go blue or green on me. I recall someone saying that the R2 XP-E beam from one of these was similasr to the NovaTac beam profile, and if that is so, it's very tempting.

If I get a D10, I could live with either the SP or old-UI. The NDI UI seems a bit more appealing to me, perhaps simply because I don't have one yet, but also because it seems a bit simpler than the old Ui on the D10.

The D10 has that great, IMO, clip. The NDI has no clip. Frankly, I'd rather have no clip than anything less than a great clip, so it's a toss up on that factor.

The other possible contender is the new Jet E3S, because it might be brighter than eithe the Jet 1 Pro, or the NDI or D10. But then again, I think they're probably all putting out about the same number of lumens. The E3S would be very similar UI-wise to my L1T v2, though I'd guess a good deal heavier with the stainless construction. Two levels is often enough, so it too has some serious appea.

I'm not interested in another Fenix AA; I bought the one I liked.

I'm not interested in the Quark AA. I have a clipless 123 and like it, but the R5s seem to be a bit a hit or miss thing with tints, and I've become very picky about beams this year (witness my ripping LP a new one for the IncenDio LP beam...). I also don't care for the clip. Nor am I interested in the Minis. Just call me sceptical of getting quality at that price point. Though I could be proven wrong.

So, I can't decide between: Jet 1 Pro v3 with the R2 (and the OP reflector), D10 SP Q3 5A, D10 SP R2, D10 traditinal UI (if I could still find one), NDI Q3 5A, NDI R2, and the Jet E3S, erm... what is it, an R4?

Any thoughts on how to figure this out? Any lights out there that I should be considering in addition to these?

Rexlion

Enlightened
As much as I like my D10, I don't use the clip much... erm... at all, really. It is up against the knurling, so it grips like the hand of death. I don't want my pocket fabric abraded every time I move the light in or out. I just slip it into the pocket and ignore the clip; its only use to me is anti-roll.

But yeah, great light.

I actually EDC a Quark RGB (now with single 123 tube) and Maratac AAA the most. Of course the beams are totally different from what you are probably looking for.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
How about the Zebralight SC50? It an XP-E R2 that runs on AA or 14500, had a great clip (IMO), side electronic clicky, easy access to all modes, 0.7 lumen low mode and is 80mm long.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I currently carry either a Fenix LD10 R4 or a Nitecore D10 Tribute in my pocket.

Both are very good IMHO overall. I do find that the Fenix LD10 doesn't have that great a beam (kind of a halo effect in the middle of the hotspot).

I do like the reverse clicky on the LD10 since it is far less prone to accidentally activate in my pocket than the D10 piston.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Zebralight SC50? It an XP-E R2 that runs on AA or 14500, had a great clip (IMO), side electronic clicky, easy access to all modes, 0.7 lumen low mode and is 80mm long.

It also exists in neutral white, is probably the smallest AA I have and the beam is floody and smoothy, quite bright as well. Great EDC light without any doubt!

The D10 is not recommended unless you know how finicky the piston drives can be. I never really liked the NDI, quite expensive as well, but as it seems they do a good job and are very bright. My preference goes to the Jet-I Pro, which is comparable. What about an RRT-0 with the extender? Too expensive? The light is great with a throwier beam...

Vesper

Enlightened
I also just picked up a Zebralight SC50 neutral. It has, for now, replaced my D10 as my EDC. Very nice small size for AA, beam, UI and the side clicky is nice. Damn bright w/ the 14500 too.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
zebralight is a great suggestion.

also consider the H501w. but if you wait H51 should be coming out, which would be brighter and has a reflector.

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I've had a Jet 1 pro (older version) & have had multiple NDI's.

I still keep an NDI in edc rotation along with a Mini AA warm white.

The UI on the NDI is great & it's quite bright on even alkaline batteries.
The form & ergonomics are among the best of any light I've handled.
I love it.

The throwy nature of the Jet kept it around despite it's shortcomings as an edc compared to the NDI. If you want a throwy pocket light you should check it out before deciding. The NDI is no slouch in that dept either compared with other AA's of similar form factor.

A good mini aa on 14500's is also really something when it comes to size, beam quality & output. I'd look at one of those too. Still surprised when comparing the NDI & Mini AA side by side. Particularly after seeing both of them on side by side.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
The iTP A2 is only 75.5mm long by 17.5mm and weighs 22 grams ... My stainless is 41.1 grams.

If you want a lightweight torch , the A2 with an AA lithium primary weighs only 36.5 grams.

Even smaller , the A3 is only 66.5mm long by 14mm and weighs 9 grams ... With an AAA lithium it weighs only 16.7 grams.

InHisName

Enlightened
I have three 1xAAA now. Two are good enough for EDC.

1. Fenix E01 VERY small and light. Beam pattern smooth and useful for reading text on computer motherboards etc. I tried it as 'candle' in dark room and wow I could almost read by the ceiling bounce! Nice light.

2. Ray-O-Vac $3 special from wally world. Spot looks like 'alien' with rings of saturn, one ring yellow green. Holding like a candle in same dark room, cannot read at all. Only good for playing with the 'alien'.

3. Then I ordered the 'free' sample from Coast. What a surprise that turned out to be. Its a bit wider beam and a bit brighter than the E01. Reading by candle style holding was about the same or ever so slightly better. Current Mini Tac light now comes with 4 AG13 and not 1xAAA. I really like what I got from them with 1xAAA. Best EDC of my collection.

All three of these work great with my 'junk' NiMH cells that I cannot use anywhere else. Maybe I can rejuvenate some cells back to normal usage.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
my 1AA EDC story...

For a year I was happily EDC-ing an L1T-V2. Then my daughter lost it... lord knows where (shes only 4), somewhere in the house. Who knows maybe a decade from now I will find it with the duraloop and post a "Look what I found" thread.

I picked up an H501 and used that for a while, but it was too floody to be any "fun". At work the lack of a hot spot, hindered its use. Its a great area flood headlamp though.

I picked up an ITP A3, its actually too small and doesn't really fit in my leatherman pouch. So its been on my key ring as a late night key hole finder, and EDC backup since I never go anywhere without my keys.

I used a CCI promotional XRE from my heatsink supplier and its a nice light, in the form of an NDI clone. But the strobe in between Hi and Lo drove me nuts. Absolutely the WORST UI. At least with a Lo/Med/Hi/strobe you have 3 regular modes before you hit the strobe.
dscn5962.jpg

Recently picked up a fenix MC10. Really nice EDC and it fits great in my leatherman pack. I can wear it on my hip, turn it on with the button on the top and light my path infront of me. Nice alternative to a headlamp, because I don't like bugs swarming around my face. Really nice night-hike setup + task-light. Despite how ugly it is.

dscn2872q.jpg

dscn2874p.jpg

dscn2873f.jpg

One of Fenix's most well thought out designs IMHO. Lot of practical use as a lantern with the beam shaper flip diffuser.:twothumbs

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own a number of lights usually like CR123 sized lights for EDC, but lately i have been carrying the Akoray K-106 that i got off KD, it's programmable, reasonably sturdy, deep carry pocket clip and best of all, it won't hurt so much if i lose it (unlike my EX10 GDP+ which i lost), i have actually left my Novatac 120P at home and only carry that on special occasions instead of an EDC.

I also own a Jet I Pro v2.0 but i'm always worried about losing it, hence the Akoray K-106, it is a great light especially when running on a 14500!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I can't decide between: Jet 1 Pro v3 with the R2 (and the OP reflector), D10 SP Q3 5A, D10 SP R2, D10 traditinal UI (if I could still find one), NDI Q3 5A, NDI R2, and the Jet E3S, erm... what is it, an R4?

For me, having a good, sturdy clip is a necessity for an EDC as is the light being as small as possible. While the Jet 1 is a solid light, it's a little large for me to EDC. The E3S looks like a nice light but it does not have a clip and neither does the NDI. Among the lights you mentioned, I would go with the D10 SP or Tribute if you can find one. If the NDI had a nice deep pocket, bezel down clip, that would be my ideal EDC given its UI.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you guys have actually been pretty helpful, and I've reached a decision.

I'm going to go with the NDI with the Q3 5A.

My reasoning is, I've already got a Jet I Pro v3. While I think it is great, It's a bit large for EDC, and I don't really like the clip, though it's better than most. I might pick up another one, an Olive R2, or see what other emitters come out in the next year, either a true warm or a cool white several bins away that will really up the output. I must say, I really like this light.

I'm going to skip the D10 altogether. My reasoning being, I have an EX10, and I prefer the stainless bezel ring on the EX to the no-bezel ring D10. Also, if I am going to go whith this form factor, I'd just as soon have the longer runtimes offered by the EX10 over the D10 SP. The 30 minute +/- runtime on hi on Eneloops is pretty disappointing. I've also read that the piston design is a bit touchy, the D10 perhaps more so than the EX10 (based on not recalling any complaints about EX pistons, just D10 gripes.)

The E3S looks like it will be a nice light, but... Smooth stainless and clipless says "heavy and slippery." I suspect it will slither out of a pocket in no time. And I don't think the R4 is going to offer me any perceptible increase in brightness over the R2s of the Jet Pro v3, D10, and NDI.

So that leaves me with the NDI. I like the UI. I like the size. The only question is whether to get the R2 or the Q3. I think the warm tint would be more useful. I prefer it aesthetically, and it seems to work better outdoors for both color rendition and depth perception. It won't be as bright as the R2, but since this is an AA light, I kind of think trying for maximum brightness is a bit of a fool's errand. If I want a "bright" EDC, I can go to a run 14500s. The NDI seems to get a decent boost in output from Li-ions, so that will be an option.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as im concerned the D10 is a piece of crap. I am getting the Quark AA and im gonna see how that goes.

Hey, don't hold back diesel, tell us what you really think. :)

I have a Quark 123 tactical (neutral, no clip), and got an AA tactical R5 for my dad. They are nice lights; I think you will like them.

deKatt

Newly Enlightened

Quote from the review: "Fenix advertises the LD10 R4 to output a maximum of 132 lumens, so I was really surprised that this particular review sample managed to push a peak of 176 lumens out the front."

I've never seen a stampede of flashaholics, but 276 lumens from 1xAA would probably cause one. :)

Last edited:

jason978

Newly Enlightened
another vote for the zebralight sc50. I REALLY like the side clicky. I really don;t like using my twisties(is that a word?) now.