Soshine SC-S2 18650 fast charger

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictured with Xtar 18700 [ yes plenty of room + some to spare , even with a 18700 ]

Power cord = 1.4meters
Power Adapter = 110 – 240volt 50/60Hz @ 1Amp
Output = 12v DC – 1.2A
Euro Zone plug

Charge rates
Batt @ 4.05v charge rate = 400mA
Batt @ 4.13v 4.15v charge rate = 200mA
Batt @ 3.82v charge rate = 900mA to start then eased to 800mA holds 750mA

This charger does not turn of on completion , but rather trickle charges .
With my multi meter as part of the circuit , I got the following readings .
Blue light comes on around 4.15v and the main charge cycle stops and then trickle charges @ 52mA

Battery @ 4.18v , trickle charges @ 40mA

Battery @ 4.19v , trickle charges @ 29mA

Battery @ 4.2v , trickle charges @ 25mA

@ 4.23v its trickle charging at 4mA

Now the MM seems to affect the charger when its part of the circuit , so Im currently charging a battery to see where it terminates , as with the MM it was terminating the charge @ 4.15 and going to trickle charge mode ..

So I drained a battery to 2.85v threw it right into the charger [ charging @ 0.99A ] So hopefully it will maintain a good rate up to about 3.8v [ I hope ]

More info as it comes to hand .

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well its up to 3.9v and seems to maintain a reasonable charge rate , so if it holds 800mA up to 4v [ or close to it ] , then thats good .
The power adapter gets warm charging 1 cell , the charger itself seems to run cool enough , and the battery is a little over room temp .

I stopped the charge and the battery was at 4.22v [ Channel 1 ] ... It charges quickly , but deff looks like it wants to overcharge .. Im not sure how far it wants to go

I can say , whilst it charges rather well , its not a charger you can trust or leave unmonitored , Im charging on the other channel now to see if it goes to trickle charge mode anywhere near 4.2v
Ok the other channel actually charges to 4.2v , Im charging a second batt in the other channel .. See if it does it twice ...
Then I will throw in two batteries and see where they top out ...

Ok 2nd battery in channel 2 came out 4.2v , now Im doing 2 batteries to see what happens , 4.2 or more ?
Well , channel 1 goes 4.23v and channel 2 goes 4.2v even ...

Channels 1 and 2

Conclusion :

2 Independent charging channels
Channel 1 charges to 4.23v
Channel 2 charges to 4.2v

Continues to trickle charge on completion ..
Charges an empty 18650 in about half the time of the WF-139 and even that much better than the Trustfire TR-001

Fits the 18700 with room to spare :

This charger can not be left alone , as it will continue to charge ..
Charger does not seem to overheat
Batteries get a little warm during charge
Charger bay cover is flimsy , best to part with it early .
Over all a useful charger that requires user monitoring

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to check the trickle current but the resistance of the Ammeter interfered with the true current measurement ... If I changed ranges , I got different readings so I gave up trying in the end ... The ammeter resistance increases as you go to the lower ranges which reduces the voltage across the cell , as there is a volt drop across the ammeter ... I tried with two different DMMs and also my analogue Avo model 8 ... The only way to measure the actual trickle charge would be to measure the volts across whatever resistor is in the charger output stage ... If you know the value of that resistor and you know the voltage , you can work out the trickle current ... I didn't bother with this.

The open circuit voltages on my SC-S2 are 4.25 on one channel and 4.26 on the other , but the blue LEDs come on well before this value ... As long as the cells are taken off when the blue LEDs come on , they will be below the 4.2 volt point.

I like the charger even though it has the trickle charge , as it is fairly quick and I do remove the cells as soon as the blue lights come on.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep , trickle looks like 50mA to start with , then as the voltage increases the current drops even lower , I think . Either way it trickle charges on completion , where the Ultrafire WF-139 actually does not , the WF-139 actually stops charging .

Norm

Retired Administrator
170957a3f245bdbe24094ed7d3e687d0.jpg

US plug
Plug looks to be for Europe
Norm