Need Search & Rescue light

tadbik

Enlightened
As an LEO, I have, once in a blue moon, taken part in SAR missions to search for missing person. Recently I was involved in a night time search for a mentally disabled person that went missing in a heavily wooded area. To make it more of a challenge she was wearing black and was believed to be unconscious after taking sleeping pills!

I had a police Magcharger and a backup LED flashlight. The Magcharger worked great until it died after 3 hours. The LED light gave me another hour but wasn't really powerful enough to see into the wooded areas.

What should I have in my gobag? powerful enough for search work but with a long run time and possibly snap in replacement batteries?

By the way, the lady was found an hour after I left the scene by a police tracker (at 3.30. in the morning). She was in perfect health and didn't really understand what all the fuss was about!

joe1512

Enlightened
There are a few options:

1) HID light. High Intensity Discharge. Produces a lot of light and they are pretty well focused. There is a subforum here that can tell you about them. They take a little bit to warm up and are more fragile, but they are cost-effective and work well.

2) Aspheric lens LED or HID - These use a special lens which focuses the light into a very narrow beam with no sidespill. I have used one and they are exceptional for being able to see into a small far-off area very very well. You don't need tons of lumens to have great visibility.
Quick search shows this as a shot: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/263818&page=2
Ah, here is a better picture of an aspheric in use: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/275559

3) Special class of LED light. probably the best is the Olight Intimidator which is a beast of a LED with good runtime, swappable battery pack, and tons of light at great distance.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT5GOG/?tag=cpf0b6-20
It is pretty expensive though.

There are a few less expensive options that have good 'throw' and would work decently. You might post in the Want to Buy section and maybe someone will sell you a homemade mag modification with an aspheric lens and a decently amount of power behind it.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your battery requirements?

And what was your backup light?

-Trevor

To add to the chorus, what are the open line of sight distances you typically encounter in your area? The reason I ask is because if your line of sight is typically limited by heavy brush or thick trees (as in the scenario you describe above), you may be able to successfully use a cost effective light such as the Fenix TK20, which uses a relatively warm emitter (about 4500K), produces a tightly focused hotspot (about 6200 lux), and uses two common AA alkaline cells, or two 1.7v lithium primaries for greater run time. The light has two settings, 75 lumens on low, and 150 lumens on high. The light easily throws a beam sufficient to discriminate shapes and colors at 150-200 feet. On the other hand, if your SAR work is in the wide open spaces of the west, the plains states, or the desert, the HID suggestion would be the way to go.

Finally, Nailbender offers some sweet drop-in modules for Surefire 6P hosts; Gene Malkoff offers a wicked-bright drop-in for both 6P and Maglight shells; and 4Sevens is reputed to be putting the finishing touches on his Maelstrom line of lights.

The bottom line is there is a huge reservoir of products available to meet your needs, but it would help everybody if you could provide just a wee bit more detail about the environments in which you expect to use the light. Once we know more particulars, the membership will gladly share their collective experience.

Last edited:

tadbik

Enlightened
Ok, a few more details. I don't need more throw than the magcharger. I wasn't in a vehicle, because of the thick foliage, all the searchers had to get their hands dirty and get in there. I had underestimated the search time and my two lights ran out of juice. So, I need a good throw light like the magcharger plus either, a long run time (three hours continuos use) or a way to easily change batteries.

Maybe the ideal would be some kind of batter belt or back pack? If there is such a thing.

My back up light was the Inova Inforce which worked ok but I hadn't brought extra batteries.

Thanks

The bottom line is there is a huge reservoir of products available to meet your needs, but it would help everybody if you could provide just a wee bit more detail about the environments in which you expect to use the light. Once we know more particulars, the membership will gladly share their collective experience.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G3L would probably make a good SAR light.
80 lumens, dropping to 50 lumens after 6 hours, small, light, good grip, plastic body (not cold on the hands)
if you get it in the holster kit its got space for another 3 batteries in the holster.

it wont throw quite as far as the magcharger, but will probably be just as usable, and for a longer time than the magcharger.
(i believe the magcharger is around the 160-180 lumen mark)

It can also be easily run on 2x17500 Lion for guilt free lumens, and can be used as an every day belt light, not just a long running SAR light

tadbik

Enlightened
I've just been reading on the forum about the Thrunite Catapult. Maybe a good option with a bunch of rechargeables. Anything else as good at the price?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tad,

Most of the better quality "tactical" lights you read about on CPF would meet your needs. The one item you touched on is a "battery belt". I'll assume you mean some sort of battery storage pack. +2 on that idea. For a small amount of space you could pack at least 8 CR123s or RCR 123s, or 4 17670s / 18650s. Small, high energy density, and would give you plenty of run time, at least 4-6 hrs, probably more like 8+. Good luck w/ your light search.....

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could consider a Jetbeam M1X, its got 2 modes, max with the head tightened and programmable with the head loosened. According to CPF member Selfbuilt's excellent review of the M1X at 50% it can give you 5hrs of light, get the M1X, the cell extender, a total of 4x18650 cells and you should be good to go.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Petzl Duo headlamp is quite popular with local SAR people, but I'm not sure that's the sort of light you're asking for. In its favour, it's robust and waterproof, and has drop-in battery replacements.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak LED Solutions makes a great Search & Rescue series of lights. They can be had in various levels of max brightness. Call them at 1 ( 877 ) 881-7325. Some people have had mixed results using email with them, and their website is not up to modern standards - but their lights are outstanding. Very high quality for the price. One reason the website doesn't do them justice is that they have many, many possible options/combinations for most of their light, but don't be put off by that, a quick call will get it sorted out easily.

They also have a NightPatrol series that may be bright enough for your needs. Both lights can be configured with multiple battery options.

tadbik

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to keep you focussed: I've got plenty of lights (As any good flashaholic should) but the Magcharger is the only one (my only non LED light) that has the throw for this kind of work. So, I'm looking for. 1) LED 2) Throw 3) Long run time or easy battery change.

This is why the Thrunite is on my short list. The new model will be 1000 lumens. Takes a 18650 battery. Reasonable price ($140-150) Small enough to throw in a gobag.

Any other contenders would be appreciated.

Dave

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M60L in a Surefire 6P.

4hrs+ of 140 lumens with 2x123's.

If you don't mind the added size and weight of a 3x123 host, then the M60L will be a tad brighter and run even longer.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've just been reading on the forum about the Thrunite Catapult. Maybe a good option with a bunch of rechargeables. Anything else as good at the price?

+1 on the Catapult. Thrunite just came out with their V2 Catapult which is rated for:

1.4 hours @ 1,000 lumens

13.5 hours @ 250 lumens

They also changed the UI into a simple hi - low only light which I prefer for my particular needs. If you don't like the UI of the V2, you can always buy the V1. The V2 should be available for sale in a week or so from a few different online vendors.

Here's a youtube video demo of the old V1 Catapult:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO0AYFQF9Po

Last edited:

ama230

Enlightened
There is another upgrade along the terralux that is heat free and will last even longer as it uses 36 GS K1 leds. Its made of billet and takes the place of the stock reflector. This thing is bright as i am going to do a review of it in the nest day but have put up the 48led work light module on for review in the meantime.

800plus lumens of PURE WHITE LIGHT and shine 100+yards no problem.
Try checking ebay and using "Fusion 36 led" I had received mine today and this easy matches and exceeds a 1million candlepower spotlight.
This thing only costs 26bucks and will rock your world while keeping the original ultra reliable maglite. Also this is a straight drop in and requires no modifications.

Then here is another light called the pc3.300 at botachtactical for 139$ shipped using the 10% coupon "stimulus". It comes with car and home charger. No more batteries, it floats and it charges in 90 seconds. Buttons at the head and tailcap so flexibility is there.

botach_2107_605556514

Hope this helps...

Thanks,
ERic

Last edited:

apdb90

Newly Enlightened
Wise LED Tactical. Sure it's pricy, but it's "Cop Proof". You know as well as I do that if there is anything on a light, or anything else, that isn't completely "bulletproof" (pun intended), a cop will break it within a few seconds. They're also upgradable as technology improves. It's roughly the size of a 2 D Cell Mag.

It will run 2 hours 15 minutes at 2200 lumens, 4 hours 15 minutes at 1200 lumens, 6 hours 15 minutes at 880 lumens...well, you get the point. They are also completely waterproof...actually diveable....which can be a HUGE factor in SAR operations.

I've had the opportunity to play with them quite extensively. They really must be seen to be appreciated. Plus, at 2200 lumens, you've also got another viable use of force option for other incidents. I know of one SWAT Team recently that was using one at a stand off, that ended in the suspect giving up and coming out the front of the residence. When he did, they hit him in the eyes with 2200 lumens from the Tactical which immediately caused the involuntary response of closing his eyes, and bringing his hands up to his face, palms out, to block some of the intense light. That motion also served to take away his ability to see to harm anyone, showed the officers his hands and that there were no weapons, and raising his arms pulled his shirt tight enough that they could see there were no weapons around his waist line either.

If you're serious about getting the right tool for the job, it's a great option and worth every penny.

ama230

Enlightened
Wise LED Tactical. Sure it's pricy, but it's "Cop Proof". You know as well as I do that if there is anything on a light, or anything else, that isn't completely "bulletproof" (pun intended), a cop will break it within a few seconds. They're also upgradable as technology improves. It's roughly the size of a 2 D Cell Mag.

It will run 2 hours 15 minutes at 2200 lumens, 4 hours 15 minutes at 1200 lumens, 6 hours 15 minutes at 880 lumens...well, you get the point. They are also completely waterproof...actually diveable....which can be a HUGE factor in SAR operations.

I've had the opportunity to play with them quite extensively. They really must be seen to be appreciated. Plus, at 2200 lumens, you've also got another viable use of force option for other incidents. I know of one SWAT Team recently that was using one at a stand off, that ended in the suspect giving up and coming out the front of the residence. When he did, they hit him in the eyes with 2200 lumens from the Tactical which immediately caused the involuntary response of closing his eyes, and bringing his hands up to his face, palms out, to block some of the intense light. That motion also served to take away his ability to see to harm anyone, showed the officers his hands and that there were no weapons, and raising his arms pulled his shirt tight enough that they could see there were no weapons around his waist line either.

If you're serious about getting the right tool for the job, it's a great option and worth every penny.

I seen this light on the website and it looks awesome. Then again i could never afford such a light so ill keep dreaming. This also seems great as the asthetics are very pleasing but it would be hard for me to bring it out of the case and scratch it without stressing out about it. I love the charging setup as well. This is the cream of the crop when it comes to a easy carry option.

tadbik

Enlightened
Re: Wise LED Tactical. Have you seen the price of that thing? $500! This buy is coming out of my pocket. The police here, will almost certainly use the Magcharger for many years to come!

I'm probably going to go for the Thrunite. 1000 lumens for $150 sounds better than 2200 lumens for $500. Unless someone wants to donate one!

Thanks for all the help. Just waiting for the Version 2 to appear.