QUARK AA2 WON'T BLINK

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
MY Q AA2 is relatively new but getting ready to take it to the woods I noticed that it will no longer blink in high mode. Or at least it blinks twice or perhaps 21/2 times and then shuts off. I didn't buy it so recently that I can find the manual, but I'm sure a forum member can tell me if it's trying to tell me something or if I should consider exchanging it (the store I purchased it from basically has a no questions asked replacement policy). Thinking it might be a weak battery signal (although everything else works fine), I did try a battery swap but that didn't eliminate the problem. This would normally be something I might just let go, but as stated I can exchange the unit... as long as the store has them in stock.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
When i first got my Quark 2AA i thought it was broken on the blinking mode as when you turn it on it

Blinks about 5 times fairly quickly and then stops
Then it blinks once every few seconds (about 10secs between blinks) and just carries on like that.

So if that's what you seeing i think that is normal, i meant to ask on here if it was meant to blink differently but never got round to it as i did not have any other problems.

jcw122

Enlightened
The blinking mode as in Strobe or Beacon?

Like another poster said, if you mean beacon, it blinks quickly a few times, but then does it in much slower intervals. Might wanna check that.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Mine is not the tactical version, I bought it for camping in areas where you can't get 123s etc in case I want to gift it to someone. I do get the slow beacon-blink in the 'low mode' series. If the high mode beacon flash is even slower, that could be all it is. I'll turn it on again tonight and see what happens....

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
you sound very confused on what modes are what, and that is translating to not making sense to the rest of us.

are you talking about beacon or strobe? there is no "blink mode". what EXACTY is it doing?

what are the voltages of your cells?

when is the last time you clean all contacts?

drmaxx

Enlightened
Mine is not the tactical version, [...] I do get the slow beacon-blink in the 'low mode' series. If the high mode beacon flash is even slower, that could be all it is.
If I understand it correctly, then you are talking about the head tightened and you turn on max and then press the button slightly to get into strobe mode? In your case strobe mode does not work? Is that correct?
If everything else is working normal then this must be a problem with the light and I would contact the seller.
The manual is in the box or here:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=1620

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
If I understand it correctly, then you are talking about the head tightened and you turn on max and then press the button slightly to get into strobe mode? In your case strobe mode does not work? Is that correct?
If everything else is working normal then this must be a problem with the light and I would contact the seller.
The manual is in the box or here:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=1620

OK Guys, sorry for the earlier vagueness, caused at least in part by haste due to my possibly misplaced desire to get some paid employment done :rolleyes:.

With the head tightened, and the light therefore in MAX setup, what 4Sevens calls the BEACON mode (not 'strobe') seems to stop after about 2 emissions of light. Every option checked out upon purchase last winter, and every other option still works just the same, but it is nonetheless possible that if the flashes on BEACON mode are VERY far apart, that is the whole observed problem. Which is not one worth returning the light over. Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. Verdict tomorrow! Or the next day!

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
This.

The modes are :

(Loosen head) moon, low, med., high, S-O-S, beacon

(Tighten head) Turbo, strobe

Then I'm getting the world's slowest and shortest strobe and the thing isn't working for sure. Back to the store we go.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
What store did you buy a 4sevens light at?

At the Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Canada. Great on customer service, but with a Soviet-style supply system that gets ever worse as you move east- as I am constantly telling them.

Testing my Q last night, it was the strobe on the power setting that isn't working properly. However it did come on after I took the unit apart and put it back together- I refer to unscrewing both ends and then reassembling. Then it wouldn't come again, then it did. Strobe is not something I need but I may decide to return the unit for another anyway- in case the problem is a sign I got a lemon. If I do get a new one I WILL KEEP THE MANUAL WHERE I CAN FIND IT.

Thanks to all for your assistance and suggestions. Without this forum I wouldn't even be aware of 4Sevens, who do make pretty good lights.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
you never answered. have you cleaned all 7 contact points? tightened retaining ring?

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
you never answered. have you cleaned all 7 contact points? tightened retaining ring?

They LOOK clean and bright, plus the light is pretty new, but good point- I'll give them a polish with a suitable device. I've got one of those fibre pens somewhere.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
machining oil can look clear

clean with an alcohol swab. don't forget the tube end. 7 contact points in all

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
UPDATE THE LAST (HOPEFULLY): OK I spent 30 to 60 minutes giving the innards of this light the best instrument cleaning this side of an OR and without actually having spotted any clue about what the problem was, it now seems to be working just fine. And being unable to find the brochure that came with it, I have printed one off the website so that in times of stress or whatever I can look up exactly what it's supposed to do. And I now am absolutely sure that my working policy of sticking to a maximum 2 function light is a sound one... unless the UI is totally idiot proof (I have to leave myself an opening, don't I?) :grin2:

Once again thanks to everyone who took the trouble to post advice.