Newbie needs AA work light

airecon

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new to all this, I have a Princeton Tec Torrent and Tec 40- I like both lights, but the Torrent takes too many batteries (8). I'm looking for a light no bigger or smaller than those - I'll use it at work around cars to look under a dash or inside a door panel. I would like to use eneloops, but I can use alkalines if I have to. Here's a few I'm thinking of.

Dorcy Cyberlight, Duracell Daylite and Streamlight Propolymer 4-AA. I like the the looks and shape of the first two the best, but I've read good things about the Streamlight.

I've also read good things about the Fenix Tk20, but it's a little pricey, but I could go for it.

Any advice on these lights or suggestions on others. I'd like to stay under $35.00.

Thanks

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
The Tk20 is a great light. I have one and love it, but it's on the bulky side. Look at Fenix LD10 or LD20's (1 and 2 AA respectively) or a Quark AA or AA2 from 4sevens. For around $50-$55, you'll have a great light that's a keeper, instead of a part of an expensive learning curve! Batteryjunction is a good source as well. Good luck!

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
Try a Quark Mini AA or Quark AA (non-tactical) from 4sevens, or a Fenix LD 10, or a Nitecore D10 from Batteryjunction. The TK20 is great, but maybe a little bulky.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the Fenix or Quarks. The extra cost over those slightly cheaper lights is well worth it for the benfits of a properly regulated light that comes with a good warranty.

I've got both the TK20 and Quark AA2 Tactical and both lights are great.

The TK20 has a very tight hot-spot, the Quark has a more floody hot-spot (still rather throwy).

If I had to choose only one it would be the Quark as it's far more versatile with the output options.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix TK20 and a Fenix LD20. I also spend *way* too much time working on cars and trucks too. (I'm a D-I-Y guy plus I own a classic car that requires constant work.) While I love the TK20, it's just too big to use when poking around in door panels and under a dashboard. I've done custom car audio installs so, unfortunately, I've dug around in car/truck interiors too. The LD20 or similarly sized light like the Quark AA2 mentioned by others would be better in my opinion. I always reach for my LD20 when I'm working on my vehicles.

Also the TK20's output is just too bright, even in low mode, for that type of close up work. A good low mode like what are on the LD20 or AA2 should be a strong criteria, not lots of lumens or huge throw distance. The floodier the beam, the better for that type of work. The TK20 is a throw light with a tight hot spot, something that's kind of out of its element when poking around in a car or truck.

A good headlamp like one from Zebralight might be a better choice.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
After thinking about it some more, the Fenix MC10 Angle light also might work out well for automotive work. I know that I sure could have used one when I was doing car audio installs.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Dont forget the Fenix E20, that will keep you within budget, and has adjustable flood/throw focus (and remains waterproof)

2 problems with the budget Fenix though:

1- Single mode only, and the single mode is fairly high (not good for close work or preserving batteries)

2- The tint on mine is pretty blue and I dont really like it

It doesn't feel like a quality product to the same extent as my Fenix TK20 feels like a quality product, but it is much cheaper, and it is much lighter, and it certainly doesn't feel like its going to fall apart.

Mine doesn't get much use, as I have better options, but I did do a waterproof test, and it has been dropped a couple of times, and it still works fine.

If you must stay within $35 the Fenix E20 could be worth a look, but I would recommend saving up for either the LD20, LD10, TK20 or another light from another manufacturer such as 4Sevens/Streamlight/Eagletac/ITP.

Actually, ITP could be worth a look, they are "quality but affordable" lights.

entoptics

Enlightened
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and actually consider your $35 budget, and suggest that perhaps the iTP EOS A2 would be ideal.

$22.50 plus shipping at Going Gear using the 10% off CPF discount code

It's smaller than the lights you mention, but it has outstanding brightness and runtime for a single AA light, and has low and medium modes useful for all sorts of automotive tasks as well as potent high mode for searching around a dark garage or yard. It has a dead simple head twisty operation, and is small enough to clip to the bill of a hat as a makeshift headlamp.

Two other offerings from iTP which are slightly over your budget are the iTP SA1 (1xAA) and the iTP SA2 (2xAA) which are both $36 at goinggear.com. These two lights are bigger and brighter than the EOS A2, and have a handy switching system with a tail switch for on/off and a side switch for modes.

I don't have any experience with the SA series, but have an EOS A3 (AAA version) and gifted a couple of EOS A2s and they are OUTSTANDING value and well built.

znmzdx

Banned
I think there are many falshlight you can choose , but you should choose a brand ,because a brand mean high quality,although the price is expensive than others ,it's deserve.Fenix has a lot of flashlight you may like it,like TK20,LD10 etc,You will not regret getting one of them !

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark is my go to light but if you can't spend the extra $$ then I agree you need an ITP A series light. I have an A3 Ti and SS on mine and my wife's keys, very nice lights for the little bit of money they cost. $25 for the A2 in aluminum is cheap for what you get IMO.