Newb - Addition to my EDC set

Tangolima600

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, first post, searched for a similar topic to answer what I'm looking for but haven't found it, but link me to the threads I may of missed.

I'm looking to add to my EDC (every day carry) kit and put a lot of thought in what I have so far. I am looking for a light with dual output settings, one for general illumination, the other for a very powerful non lethal deterrent for self defense. I may also add a primary non lethal device such as OC or pepper spray down the line but having a light is worth carrying for multiple purposes. So far my eyes are set on the Surefire E2D LED Defender but there are so many other choices out there, it's a little overwhelming where to start. I suppose the biggest and most import needs are:

Dual output - for general and defensive applications

Light output - needs to be very bright to temporary blind a potential threat

Size and Weight - needs to be small and light enough to carry as a clip on for your pockets or use a holster

Durability - needs to handle multiple temperatures and environments as well as take a beating from wear and tear

So far from my research, Surefire seems to fit my requirements but I would like an educated second opinion since I am no expert on illumination in general.

I'm also in the military, does Surefire offer discounts for servicemen?

Thanks!

Tim

znmzdx

Banned
I think you can choose Fenix TK11 ,It has two modes,the high output up to 240 Lumen ,and it is not so expensive !

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can buy the E2DL get it there is enough info around CPF on why to buy Surefire but for the E2DL in particular the large white hotspot is wonderful and throws it a ton. The Surefire knurling is wonderful nothing feels better that I have in my hand then the E2DL.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
You should also look at the LX2. Same brightness as the E2DL, but the user interface is different. Unlike the E2DL, which changes modes every time you turn the light off and back on within a few seconds, the LX2 has a two-stage tailcap:

press for a momentary-on 15-lumen long-runtime low beam ... press further for a momentary-on 200-lumen high beam ... twist for constant-on low beam, twist further for constant-on high beam.

Although some may disagree, I think the UI of the LX2 is better for SD, since you may need to flash, move, flash. You could accidentally activate the low mode on the E2DL in this situation.

Both are fine lights; consider which UI better meets your needs. And remember, a flashlight alone is not a weapon. It will only distract an assailant temporarily, giving you time to employ greater force.

Tangolima600

Newly Enlightened
You're right that the LX is very similar to the EDL, different UI and weight increase with a decent price increase. Though a nice addition with the twist cap, I don't see it worth the price hike.

Tangolima600

Newly Enlightened
Just came back from my local range where they had the E2DL 200 lumen edition for $115 :huh:

Fantastic torch, solid feel and bezels are sharp. Great add to my EDC set!

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Excellent price, Tango. Having used both the E2DL and LX2, I was going to recommend the LX2 for its UI. However, I would say you've done very well snagging the new E2DL for $115. Very nice indeed.

By the way, Surefires (and Malkoff products) multiply even more quickly than guns. Point is, be very careful with these things. :D