Finding the perfect EDC. will it ever ends...

Ian2381

Enlightened
It has been nine months since I joined CPF and I have been EDCing different lights and my urge never ends for the perfect EDC.

Here's what I pocket carried this past month's.

Romisen RC G2
Tank 007 E07
Ultrafire C3 SS
Trustfire EF 23
Ultrafire A10
Akoray K106
MiNi AA regular
MiNi AA neutral
Romisen RC29 Neutral

Current Pocket EDC(carrying two now)
ITP A3 SS and Ultrafire C3 SS with Warm Cree.

Now I'm still looking for a better EDC.
Eying at
Jetbeam E3S - I just wish it comes with a lanyard Hole or a Clip.
Nitecore D10 - (don't like Black)
Jetbeam E3P Neutral -
Quark AA - (don't like Black)
Fenix LD10 - (don't like Black)
Tank 007 E3 SS - (too expensive for a budget light)

It just never ends...:confused:

bullettproof

Enlightened
You need some quality USA made EDC lights. Not that yours are bad but those are lower end lights.If you are constantly looking for better then check these out that Im listing.

Heres my 4 picks for you and there all made in the USA.

1. Macs EDC SST50
2. Ra Tactical EDC 120 or better
3. Surefire L1 Digital HA-III
4. Surefire E1B Silver HA-III

fizzwinkus

Newly Enlightened
i went from l2 to lx2 to chimera mini.
don't think i'll be satisfied until the chimera is 1mm thick.

ky70

Banned
ZebraLight SC50w

I'm with vesper but I have the SC50 regular/cool tint. This light is a joy to EDC. A marvelous UI that allows you to cut the the light on in either low or high (and you can even start in Medium with 2 quick clicks). Really good runtime and a moonlight type low with a close to 200 lumen high...great features.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It never ends even if you find a light you think is the best EDC light ever their is always something else that might, just might give that favorite EDC light you already have a run for it's money.

So you get it and maybe it is indeed everything you hoped for well guess what now you find out their is this other light that might just be as good or better.

So you get that light and it's great but now their is this other light..and so on and so on..etc

In the mean time all the other lights you own are being released with new "upgraded" models and you have to have that new emitter or else.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, you will continue to search for the 'perfect EDC' whilst you stick to the cheaper lights. Since my purchase of the Ra Clicky back in early 2009, I haven't bought another similar style light for my personal EDC use.

My favourite light of all time, however is my first bought Surefire 6P. This light has evolved with me as I continue my flashlight addiction::eek::broke:

This combo rocks::twothumbs

Surefire 6P (Black)
Surefire Z59 clicky tailcap (new) (shiny finish from a Defender)
Stainless smooth bezel ring
Malkoff M60 (perfect tint & hotspot)
2 x AW ICR123's (matched) or Surefire CR123's depending on runtime requirements.

This is my 'to hell & back' light and I trust it with my life!!

James....:D

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say either the Surefire LX2 or the McGizmo Haiku (either version) are both excellent choices for an EDC light, and I personally carry both! :)

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC30 or the Nitecore D10 or EX10.

The SC30 is a great light, I no longer carry my D10 since I purchased the SC30 (still have the D10 though)

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aeon. I think it might be the best small EDC out there right now. Sure the quarks are brighter and have a fancy UI, but the quality, efficiency and simplicity of the Aeon blows me away every day.

Noctis

Enlightened
In my experience, you will continue to search for the 'perfect EDC' whilst you stick to the cheaper lights. Since my purchase of the Ra Clicky back in early 2009, I haven't bought another similar style light for my personal EDC use.

My favourite light of all time, however is my first bought Surefire 6P. This light has evolved with me as I continue my flashlight addiction::eek::broke:

This combo rocks::twothumbs

Surefire 6P (Black)
Surefire Z59 clicky tailcap (new) (shiny finish from a Defender)
Stainless smooth bezel ring
Malkoff M60 (perfect tint & hotspot)
2 x AW ICR123's (matched) or Surefire CR123's depending on runtime requirements.

This is my 'to hell & back' light and I trust it with my life!!

James....:D
I prefer:
-Surefire 6P bored for 1x18650
-AW Li-Ion 18650 2600mAh
-Brass + McClicky switch
-Malkoff M61(considerably brighter than the M60, widest spill available, warmer tint than my cool white drop-ins, very long runtime)

Longer runtime than the smaller cells, much more efficient, spill is very handy in blackouts(not that I've had one since I got the light, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one).

If I'm unsatisfied at all, it's that the lights simply don't seem bright enough the longer I use them.

purelite

Enlightened
Though I dont think the OP is asking for suggetsions for lights particularly, I would agree you have to try and segway into some higher quality which can be done without breaking the bank.

For myself I have gone through quite a large list of lights seeking the "right" one for EDC. Every variable from size to output to cost has been considered. I have setteled on a few decisions which may have been reached by others or not since everyone has different requirements for anything.

It has to be small but still adequate battery capacity and briteness and large enough to be manipulated with one hand relatively easily.

So with this first set of criteria I have decided on the AAA format. With todays advances in LEDs you can get adequate output for reasonable runtimes from something like an XPG on a AAA. There are Lithium AAAs for reduced battery sag and no leaking inside the flashlight and better shelflife of the cell . For me adequate output is no less than 40-60 lumens for this type of light and what I expect/need it for. The AAA is also small enough I can easily carry a spare battery in my wallet !!!
Being small enough is important to me because if its to big I wontwant to lug it around and wont take it with me. And if you dont have a light with you what good is it? Its a paper weight. I have tride carrying everything from a 2 cell SF 6P to a 1 cr123 EX10 or D10 by Nitecore. Though the Nitecore D10 is super easy to slip into a pocket and you barely know its there, I personally cant stand stuff in my pockets so I moved on from there. With the AAA format I can easily wear the light on a chain around the neck and under the shirt. The advantages of this are two fold. Its easy to retrieve, no pockets to dig in with my hands full and I dont have to worry about fumbling and dropping the light and being left in the dark. Yes this has happened to me. On a chain if I drop it it is right there swinging on the chain,. If my hands are going to be completely full I can turn the light on and just let it hang . The beam and spill is enough to light my way .

And lastly is cost . I have tried carrying very expensive (to me ) lights and all I did was worry about dropping them and or losing them. I had a cpl instances where the lights had slipped out of a pocket or what not and were in a car seat or on the floor or something and the panic and resulting search was not fun. i tired of this quickly. So the cost factor was also a major part in finding an EDC. For me anything $50 and under is low enough in price that I dont wory about it and just carry and use it . Of course if you go too low in price you lose reliability and quality so I wont carry anyting less than an ITP AAA EOS and even that though it has never given me problems isnt to me 100% bombproof. i carry a backup on the keychain, just a cheap Fauton style light .

So my criteria may be competely opposit of most others on here but the real hope for success for you is to work out your criteria and then apply it to every light out there and I bet you will come pretty darn close. I havent found the one for me exactly yet because of my criteria but things seems to be moving in the right direction

Really though for most of us I think the ultimate light will never exist. For me it would be a light that weighs next to nothing and lights up indefintely on a power source that never runs out and gives you 100% reliability and output of up to 3000 lumens if needed.

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
Thanks for All the replies.

It just happens that like others, I tend to feel uncomfortable carrying expensive lights in the pocket especially bigger lights that's why I just keep my pocket light at AA/AAA formats. My expensive and bigger lights has been shelf queens.:grin2:

My ITP A3 Stainless steel is in my keychain clipped in the pocket so no worry about losing it. Since getting the A3, I still feel the need for another bigger light (AA) and looking for somewhat a thrower light. Been changing from Ultrafire C3 SS in warm tint (flood) and Akoray K106 (a bit of a thrower).

papajoe

Newly Enlightened
Fun thread with good comments. So the answer to the question . . . . .
Will it ever end ? If your even a only a fledgling flashoholic - No !

Three keepers for you.

Keep it simple.....Keep it affordable.....Keep looking.

For me, for now, it's a Coleman Max 2CR2 ($24). If I lose it, I'll buy another. And I'm still looking.:popcorn:

BTW, my Quark Mini cr2 is my EDC "show-off and Wow" light.:D

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Perish the thought of this quest ever ending. The perfect EDC will never exist anyway, but a better one is around the corner.

Geoff

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
For quite a few of us, the quest for a better EDC has ended with McGizmo.
Probably because you can't afford to buy anything else after paying a staggering amount of money for one McGizmo light.