LED vs Xenon Strion

FlameOn

Enlightened
I've had a Xenon Strion for about 7 years now and all I seem to read about is the LEDs...and yes, I too have caught the LED fever...yet Streamlight still makes the Xenon model and it's not exactly cheap...does it have any advantages over an LED model in regards to throw? It's rated at 110 lumens and is pretty blinding. I guess what I'm asking is there any reason to still buy these style lights with all the new technology in LEDs?

cm_mtb

Enlightened
I guess what I'm asking is there any reason to still buy these style lights with all the new technology in LEDs?

I'm not sure about the beam profiles of these exact lights, but many people report that incans throw better in foggy, smoky, etc. conditions. There are loads of threads on this, but incans also have better color rendition than LEDs. Incans are still useful, even if they aren't as efficient as LEDs.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Some folks seem to prefer the warm tint of an incan bulb and say that it provides better contrast outdoors (i.e. woods, forest, etc.). Not sure about the throw comparison between the incan and an LED.

Streamlight also came out with a new Strion LED 74302 rechargeable model. So, if you like your old Strion (output, UI, size, etc.), just upgrade to the LED version.

Last edited: