Getting a new road on the map?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lease a small commercial building for my business. Customers are basically by invitation only, and I chose this place because it's right off a major highway at a new stoplight...easy to find.

Problem is, people like to get their own directions from mapquest, google maps, GPS, whatever. This new intersection that goes to my shop was put in maybe 18 months ago, but it still doesn't show up on any maps! If you follow any automated directions to my shop you end up at a closed road. I'm really getting tired of phone calls from lost and mad customers who won't believe THEIR map could be wrong...

Is there anything I can do about this?! Somebody I can contact and tell them they need to update the maps? It seems like all the major mapping software uses the same database of some sort, since they all have the same problem. I have no idea where they get their info.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
NAVTEQ
Tele-Atlas

NAVTEQ does Garmin and Tele-Atlas does TomTom. But they both sell their map data to other companies too.

Warning - Reporting the error will not stop your problems, even if they fix it. People like me refuse to pay for map updates. So until my machine dies and I have to buy a new one, my maps will be out of date.

DM51

Flashaholic
Google Maps should show the new road layout in "satellite" mode.

Could you put a link to your location in sat. mode on your website, or copy it to a pdf file to email to your customers?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google Maps should show the new road layout in "satellite" mode.

Could you put a link to your location in sat. mode on your website, or copy it to a pdf file to email to your customers?
Unfortunately the latest satellite image of the area doesn't include the new road either. I spent a good bit of time in google earth myself trying to figure out where the road currently is...and I drive it every day!

I like the links above...to tired to look closely now but at least it's a start...

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! I was just going to ask where google gets their map data and checked google earth again - it's on there! I literally just checked that like a week ago and it wasn't!

I hope the government isn't reading my thoughts. :shrug::green:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
When we moved into our present house the mapping programs couldn't find it. Took them about a year to catch up.

Geoff