Where does the term "molle" come from?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I tried a google search and came up empty.
I understand its used to describe lights that clip onto a shoulder harness/vest... but where did the term originate from (military origins)?

thanks... and thanks to all the guys/gals serving in the US armed forces.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, the weird world of military acronyms. My personal favorite was a project that I worked on called HERMIT.

H - Hybrid
E - Electric
R - Reconfigurable
M - Mobile
I - Integrated
T - Testbed

We used to say that you were officially a member of the HERMIT engineering team when you could remember what the name stood for! :D

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOLLE is the overall system.

PALS is the specific name of the connection system.

So really, anything "MOLLE" friendly just means it comes with a glorified pocket clip.

-Trevor

JeffInChi

Enlightened
system is ok- prefer ALICE...All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment....the metal clips are so much easier to remove than the polimer "Malice" clip of the Natick snap connect. PITA.

ALICE is the old school one, I have a couple of ALICE as "bug out" bags loaded up with all kinds of good stuff. It has a great durable external frame. I'm not too familiar with MOLLE, but I think it has a internal plastic frame that tends to crack easily, at least easier than the MOLLE frame from what I have read. MOLLE is the more modern one, however...

Last I heard, MOLLE was being slowly eliminated for an even newer system, can't remember what it was being called though. Both equipment bags have their place, and they both have pros and cons. Long story short, if your looking for a durable bag that wont come apart during a hiking trip and will save your back from a lot of stress and pain, both of these systems work great and won't break the bank. Both can be found online at ebay for under $50 (used), and that beats spending upwards of $500 on similiar civilian backpacks that do the same basic thing.

Latest posts