Maglite reflector texturing

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Greetings Everyone

I see that there are a lot of Maglite reflector modifications that are described as "orange peel", "textured, "strippled", etc....

Can someone describe what the different reflector texture categories are, and what the advantages/disadvantages for each are?

I have searched the forum, but have not been able to find this information. If I missed a thread that has this information, please post the link.

Thanks everyone,
Battery Guy

mrartillery

Enlightened
Without going into a big spill about it and to make it simple, a smooth reflector will give you the most throw but there will also be artifacts in the beam that you will mostly notice when shining against a white wall or on a ceiling bounce test, not as noticable when outside. The artifacts are the filament of the bulb, which can be smoothed out with a orange peel or or stippled reflector, the greater the amount of orange peel or stipple the more flood the reflector will have. Orange peel texture is the same similar texture that Surefire uses in their reflectors. Light orange peel or LOP or Medium orange peel (MOP) are my personal favorites, due to the fact that they still throw wonderfully and still have a nice smooth wall of flood and there are basically no artifacts. Stipple reflectors generally have more flood than an orange peel reflector, due to the greater amount of sputtering on the reflector surface.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Without going into a big spill about it and to make it simple, a smooth reflector will give you the most throw but there will also be artifacts in the beam that you will mostly notice when shining against a white wall or on a ceiling bounce test, not as noticable when outside. The artifacts are the filament of the bulb, which can be smoothed out with a orange peel or or stippled reflector, the greater the amount of orange peel or stipple the more flood the reflector will have. Orange peel texture is the same similar texture that Surefire uses in their reflectors. Light orange peel or LOP or Medium orange peel (MOP) are my personal favorites, due to the fact that they still throw wonderfully and still have a nice smooth wall of flood and there are basically no artifacts. Stipple reflectors generally have more flood than an orange peel reflector, due to the greater amount of sputtering on the reflector surface.

Excellent summary! Thanks!

Cheers,
Battery Guy