My McModule (V2T) "screetches" ... !!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
My McModule (V2T) \"screetches\" ... !!!

Hey all !
My wonderful new V2T McModule from Charlie is not only capable of producing the little clicking sound when turned on that the L4 also produces, but it can make funny noises! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The best one is some kind of screaming sound which is quite loud and hearable from several meters away. wow. this mostly occurs when I use the momentary-on feature of the PM6 host, so maybe it is some kind of bad contact?
this is the first light that speaks to me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: My McModule (V2T) screeches... !!!

Me thinks you have a posessed light! Quick, you need an exorcism! Send it to me and I'll banish the demon! Quick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Really, though. I'm not sure what is causing this, but it could be arcing at a bad contact somewhere, or have something to do with the regulator IC, or maybe you just have voices in your head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I know some of the BadBoy/MadMax sandwiches emit a faint buzzing sound, but never as loud as what you're describing. Hmm...
gruebel.gif
That's the best I can do.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My McModule (V2T) screeches... !!!

I have a number of halogen spot lights in my home that are on dimmer circuits. The lower the dimmer is set, the louder the halogens hum.

It's not nice to interfere with the halogen cycle.

LED's are another story.

snuffy

Enlightened
Re: My McModule (V2T) \"screetches\" ... !!!

That's strange. I might be getting "deef" but my W3V is as quiet as a church mouse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: My McModule (V2T)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think this is caused by the momentary switch of the PM6 making bad contact since it isn't there when I use constant on.
it does not affect the output itself. I don't mind a possessed light since I do not have soul to be taken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
seriousely, I think it's funny but I don't have a problem with it.
bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic

anyway, I have an Z49 on order, this should successfully do the exorcism.
bernhard

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree it's probably a bad contact. Press harder and see if it quitens down or the frequency changes.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

ok ... did it, and it changes something. when I press like good old Arnie, the light becomes a bit brighter and the sound goes away.
damned.
just a bad and soon-to-be replaced switch and no demon!
bernhard

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My McModule (V2T) screetches ... !!!

Does the McModule have a coil on it? If so, it's possible that you're hearing coil whine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

It happens to computer power supply units, too. I've never experienced this firsthand, but in the computer world the fix is to apply some adhesive -- maybe epoxy or even super glue -- to the coil's windings to lock them in place. You might give that a try.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

milkyspit, it has an emitter on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
no coil to be seen, it is just a module. well, not just a module, a McModule!
bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic

in fact, the sounds are emitted from the switch itself!
when brought close to the ear it resembles some kind of hissing as if something was cooking inside. but it stays cool.
?
bernhard

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks kiessling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif If the McModule is regulated it most likely has some sort of coil in there somewhere, but it sounds like you've already found the cause of the screetches elsewhere. (The switch assembly?)

Anyway, for general info, sometimes the windings of a coil come loose, and under the right conditions can make a whining sort of sound. If you ever run into that, the solution is usually to put a little dab of glue on the windings.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah it's arcing (when a switch or contact doesn't make good contact, it will arc current through the resistance. In high amperage applications you can see the blue or orange arc, and can actually heat up and weld the metal). Since it's regulated it's actually pulsing current from the battery on/off and the crackle/screetch sound is being emited by the poor contact in the switch. This sound will be the same or close to the frequecy that the regulator runs at, probably a bit lower.

Try cleaning the switch contacts or putting a different switch on. Flashlightlens makes a kroll adapter I belive so you can have push on/off but the rotating switch no longer functions then.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

At first it would seem like the coil in the switching power supply. On second thought, the IC (controller) switches at more than 1MHz, even a dog couldn't hear that. I'd say it definitely is possessed.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bernhard,

I think it's definately a bad contact... Just for kicks, I took my Fluke and took it to the bottom of the light to create a closed circuit of the module and the body of the light. The light turned on, but as I start to rub and scrape the positive tip of the DMM needle on the sides of the body, I can definately hear what sounds like static charge or arcing charges... It's not a click sound, like in the A2, but it's definately a low hum, if the needle isn't in good contact with the threads of the PM6...

Hope that quells the need to exorcise the light...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Bernhard,

We have discovered the MotherShip brought a tainted load of dilithium crystals, a cubic micron of which may have been used in your McModule. Please return as soon as possible for replacement...

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Charlie, do not blame the Mothership yet. I changed the switch to a classic M3 end-cap, and there is no sound at all, and the light is at full power immediately. as the strange sounds really seem to come from the tailcap, I think the earthly PM6 host shows some of it's flaws.
IMHO the McModule itself is just fine, no replacement necessary. I have a Z49 coming my way and it should be fine by then.

btw, a very generous offer Charlie, you da man!
I initially only posted this because I thought it to be funny and cool, but as you guys pointed out it (the "arcing") could actually be dangerous! oh man!
I never wanted the McModule or it's creators look bad!
I really like CPF, thanx all very much !!!!!

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic

got the Z49 mounted, and everything is fine now, no screeching.
so ... my light is not possessed and the mothership did not fail Charlie, it is just a bad PM6 switch.#

and now, having the 5W-V2T abd the 1W-R2H-DB750 the fun of this concept really kicks in ...

bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Good to hear Bernhard! You might consider leaving milk and cookies out for the aliens though, just in case.......

- Don