A few questions about Nitecore EX10

sugibdg

Newly Enlightened
I saw two Nitecore EX10 versions, Nitecore EX10 SP Cree XP-E R2 and Nitecore EX10 Cree R2 (this is the newest version). What is the different between XP-E R2 and Cree R2? Max lumens says 145 torch lumens, is this OTF or emiter lumens? Which one should I choose if I want cool white tint?

Thanks and regards,
Sugiarto

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not too sure if they use different emitters, but the EX10 SP doesn't have the ramping up and down mode. Instead it uses three set levels and a hidden strobe and SOS mode.

I think this is preferable as you can get a VERY good idea of runtime depending on what mode you are using.

It will also blow away the 145 lumen max using an AW RCR123.

Mine is a beautiful white, my wifes has a slight blue tint around the edges. That's the tint lottery for you.

Torch lumens always refer to OTF lumens in the same way car makers claim their cars go from 0-100kph in a given number of seconds.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw two Nitecore EX10 versions, Nitecore EX10 SP Cree XP-E R2 and Nitecore EX10 Cree R2 (this is the newest version). What is the different between XP-E R2 and Cree R2? Max lumens says 145 torch lumens, is this OTF or emiter lumens? Which one should I choose if I want cool white tint?

Thanks and regards,
Sugiarto

the EX10 SP is, as stated above, a non-ramping version. I have the EX10 Cree R2 (ramping) and using an RCR123 (the grey trustfire protected RCR123s do not fit, i am using soshine unprotected RCR123s) the output looks to be above 145 lumens. The tint on my EX10 R2 is a very nice white, no blue or greenish tint to it. Most of time the tints are a bit of a lottery but an R2 should generally be a cool white tint.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks and regards,
Sugiarto

You should give us the direct link to the dealer to check.

As other said, older models had a ramping UI, all SP lights have the 3-mode UI. If you say that "EX10 Cree R2" model is the newest one, it has the 3-mode-UI as well, but it should be labeled SP.

As for the emitter, the older models used the XR-E while teh newer ones have the XP-E. The beam is totally different (well, four us freaks it is...). While the XR-E has a mire defined hotspot, some rings and a little throw, the XP-E is much more floody, the hotspot is blurry and goes into the spill, no really discernable rings. As always, some preffered the XR-E for the better throw, some like the XP-E for the floody beam...

The 145 Lumen should be emitter Lumens, while both versions have more or less the same output, the XR-E may appear brighter, because it has more throw and thus a brighter hotpot (higher Lux reading). There were or are models claimed 130 Lumen, maybe the old Q5, those ones were much dimmer to my eyes at least, normally you shouldn't notice 15 Lumen difference.

sugibdg

Newly Enlightened
You should give us the direct link to the dealer to check.

As other said, older models had a ramping UI, all SP lights have the 3-mode UI. If you say that "EX10 Cree R2" model is the newest one, it has the 3-mode-UI as well, but it should be labeled SP.

I found it on ebay. The item id for Nitecore EX10 Cree XP-E R2 is 370371632191 and for Nitecore EX10 Cree R2 is 120566811179.

But I am confuse, Nitecore EX10 Cree R2 seems don't have 3 mode UI, while Nitecore EX10 Cree XP-E R2 has 5 UI (low, mid, high, sos, & flash), so which one is the newest one?

Last edited:

sugibdg

Newly Enlightened
I have the EX10 Cree R2 (ramping) and using an RCR123 (the grey trustfire protected RCR123s do not fit, i am using soshine unprotected RCR123s)

How about AW RCR123, does it fits in EX10 Cree R2?

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

The SP version is the newest version where nitecore changed the UI to the 3 mode with flash and strobe with the newest cree XP-E r2 . However the older model UI (ramping and preferred by many myself included) has been changed/upgraded (I prefer the cree XR-E as I think it throws more) and is also available with the same cree Xp-E r2 led. So to answer your question they are both the newest cree XP-E r2 led but with different UI. You just need to work out which version UI you need for your uses.

Cheers

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found it on ebay. The item id for Nitecore EX10 Cree XP-E R2 is 370371632191 and for Nitecore EX10 Cree R2 is 120566811179.

But I am confuse, Nitecore EX10 Cree R2 seems don't have 3 mode UI, while Nitecore EX10 Cree XP-E R2 has 5 UI (low, mid, high, sos, & flash), so which one is the newest one?

OK, now I see clear, the second one is the "old" version with the ramping UI. In fact, just have a look at the desrciption : Unique Infinitely Variable Digitally-controlled Brightness System (100 levels)

The SP is what I call 3-mode UI, it has in fact 5 of them, inclusing the blinking modes... :shakehead

Decide what you like best!

ky70

Banned
It will also blow away the 145 lumen max using an AW RCR123.

A bit of sidebar but I'm so confused by comments like these about the EX10. I have the D10 SP R2 and do not see a great difference in output on high when switching from a NIMH AA to a 14500. So if the D10 and EX10 have the same engine, how then does one get a great boost in output from a lion battery (the EX10) and the other does not (the D10).

Is the EX10 using a lion on high produce more lumens than a D10 using a lion on high...and if so, how if they have the same emitters?

Last edited:

sugibdg

Newly Enlightened
OK, now I see clear, the second one is the "old" version with the ramping UI. In fact, just have a look at the desrciption : Unique Infinitely Variable Digitally-controlled Brightness System (100 levels)

The SP is what I call 3-mode UI, it has in fact 5 of them, inclusing the blinking modes... :shakehead

Decide what you like best!

Thanks for your explanation.