RIP Dr. Fritz Sennheiser

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you've ever worked in audio, ever noticed those long, skinny shotgun microphones used on sports events or ever worn an open-air headset, your life was touched by the inventor of several audio technology breakthroughs and founder of the company that bears his name, Dr. Fritz Sennheiser. He has passed away at the age of 98.

I remember the first Sennheiser mic that I worked with back in the 70s - it was amazing. Incomparably crisp, clean sound and a sharp hypercardoid pickup pattern. And the Sennheiser HD-414 headphones, the first ones I'd ever seen with open-air design back then, just blew me away with their clean, transparent response and rich bass.

The man clearly knew his stuff and had a passion for good sound. His inventions changed the audio industry forever.

RIP sir, and thanks for showing us How It's Done Right.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a set of Sennheiser phones. They do sound good and they are ultra comfortable to wear. I haven't used them in over 3 years because one of my pets decided to chew the wire in two. Luckily the cord plugs into the phones for easy replacement, but due to my monetary situation, I can't afford the rather pricey cord right now. I am rather happy for this man for living such a long life.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My first Sennheiser mic was a 416 and when my girlfriend and I first started singing together I bought a 441 for each of us.

Still have some 845's and 414/424 headphones and the name Sennheiser will always equate with quality & innovation.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
I have Senn HD600 phones. Comfort beyond what you might think possible and sound quality that is unbelievable. Of course, we won't mention the $$$$. But worth it.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually wearing my fourth pair of Sennheisers as I'm typing this. And... their first microphone was born the same year as me!

An innovative man, and finely designed, innovative audio products. RIP.

—Jack.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I remember getting a set of Sennheiser headphones in about 1978 and the sound quality was a quantum leap ahead of anything I'd tried up till that stage. I stopped seriously listening to music back in the late eighties but I'll always remember the "wow" that I felt when I first started listening through those 'phones.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
if they are a high end pair (I have a pair of HD-420s - which I love because they are 600 Ohms - and are designed as monitor phones) they sell replacement parts - new surrounds, new wires etc - and they will fix them if you send them for service

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of HD280s that I have been very happy with, as well as some older HD540's and a pair of Sennheiser in ear phones as well.

Its a shame that so many people now settle for poor quality headphones and Ipod earbuds. Sennheiser has always (in my opinion) offered a very good value.

98 is quite an age to live to by any standards.