does anyone recognize these led flashlights "waterproof"

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for what i think might be the ultimate flounder gigging light. Number one it needs to be bright, we used to use car lights hooked up to car batteries with 25 foot of cable, a real pain in the A**. Then i came across these bad boys, guy in New Zealand selling them. Pretty nifty, the lights are supposed to be waterproof to 10 meters. anyone recognize what they are. They are saying a cree emitter and a "fisheye" lens to open the beam real quick. I am thinking of ordering the 2 torch light, or as they claim 400 lumens.

oh yeh, i found this in the warranty section

Warranty for Flounder Light.
The 3 Watt flounder light you have purchased is a purpose built underwater torch with a sealed lens and a tried and tested 10 metre (33ft) IP68 waterproof diving torch switch and cap unit with an "O" Ring seal. This combination will give years of watertight service if properly used.
Our 3 watt underwater torches and chargers are guaranteed for one year against manufacturing defects.
  • Should your light not work for any reason, please contact us. If we agree that a fault in the light is a manufacturing defect a replacement light will be dispatched free of charge. Please note the customer is liable for all shipping costs involved on replacement parts.
NOTE: User contamination of the "O" Ring seal is NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY!
  • The switch and cap unit on the torch is the same as is used on diving torches and is perfectly sealed with an "O" Ring. The "O" ring seal must be kept clean to seat correctly and form a watertight seal. (Please see instructions above)
I guess they are purpose built..
http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/flounder_fishing/flounder_lights.html

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
after more reading i see that they are claiming 200 lumens for 2 hours on turbo, on 1 rcr123a battery, i am sure the lumens claim is way high , but 2 hours on 1 battery? must not be regulated.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is possible to get 200 LED lumens off 3W (700 mA). With an XP-G R5 they may even get 200 OTF lumens. 4sevens does that on his Quark R5 torches.

An RCR123A is 700 mAH so will give 1 hour at 700 mAH draw.
A CR123A disposable ($10 at the camera store) can double the runtime to 2 hours.
The guy is cheating - selling you one battery, than doing tests with a different one!

Lithium batteries are not like alkalines, output does not gradually lower.
Alkaline unregulated
1 sec - 200 lumens
1/2 hr - 150 lumens
1 hr - 100 lumens
1.5 hr - 50 lumens
2 hr - 0 lumens
Alkaline regulated
1 sec - 100 lumens
1/2 hr - 100 lumens
1 hr - 100 lumens
1.5 hr - 100 lumens
2 hr - 0 lumens
CR123A unregulated
1 sec - 200 lumens
1/2 hr - 190 lumens
1 hr - 180 lumens
1.5 hr - 170 lumens
2 hr - 0 lumens
The drop in light output in alkaline battery torches from 1.6V to 0.5V is huge making regulation a must for a steady output.
With lithium (and NiMH) the drop in voltage and light output is much slower making it not absolutely necessary for a regulation circuit. These lights have gone from (visually to my eyes) full brightness to completely dark in about 10 seconds as the battery became exhausted so always have that 2nd battery supplied fully charged and handy!

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
you are probably right, but he actually sends 2 for each light, so you get a spare, probably not the highest quality L.I. batteries but hey,, what ya want. i was more interested in who makes the flashlights. never did figure that out.