Quark RGB build quality, fit and finish

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me how the overall build quality and finish on the quark RGB, or any of the other 4sevens lights for that matter, compair to the Fenix TK series lights, particularly the TK10? I'm considering purchasing an quark RGB I'm just wondering how the build quality is. I've read in reviews that the quality of the 4sevens lights is excellent, I just want to keep my expectations in line. If it is atleast as good as my Fenix TK10 them I'm definitely sold.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I just got my Quark RGB today (and my Fenix TK10 has been my EDC for a couple of years now)

The Quark does feel like a quality product, but, its construction is much thinner than the TK10, and the benefit of that is that it is lighter, but it just doesn't "feel" as hefty if you understand where i'm coming from.

Also, the glass lense in the TK10 is quite a lot more "recessed" then in the Quark.

The beam profile of the Quark RGB is TOTALLY different to the TK10, i suggest you have a look at some beamshots, but there is no real "hotspot" in the RGB, its pretty much pure flood (which, for the reason i got it, is great)

In summary when you hold both in your hand, it does feel as though the TK10 is much sturdier, but i'm sure its really irrelevant, because the Quark will be strong enough to survive anything that is realistically going to happen to it.

Switches, threads, finish (anodising) etc on both are probably about equal.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
All I can say is that I really like my RGB and find not only the light to fill a niche no other light can, the company stands firmly behind their product and has excellent customer service.

The UI, which allows you to save one brightness, or mode for all the colors, while treating the white emitter separately was pure genius!

GreySave

Enlightened
I agree with the prior posts. At its price point this light is one of a kind right now. Actually given that it is all flood it is one of a kind at any price point.

The only light I can think of that comes close if the SureFire Kroma at over $300 a copy. The build quality and fit and finish is good, but it will not have the heft and feel of a more expensive light such as the Fenix TK series, a SureFire, or the larger Inova lights. This does not make the 4Sevens lights bad, just different and a great value at the price.

johm

Newly Enlightened
I also fully recommend the quark RGB.

Built quality is great (if something is wrong, warranty is also good and reliable)
The finish/feel of the quark line is excellent in my opinion, knurling throughout most of the body is grippy enough to hold securely without having to squeeze, yet nothing on them is sharp.

The RGB is a fantastic and quite unique light. The colors are very bright and very crisp.

I would also recommend the Neutral white version which is also available (great for close-up work and reading).

NOTE: if you expect any kind of throw from this flashlight you will be disappointed, there is none.
On the other hand the flood/spill is perfect (even wider than zebralights)
The beam itself is not perfect (due to the asymmetrical nature of the RGBW led) but its not bad.

If you like to play with flashlights, not just use them (like i do) this flashlight is a must.

Bottom line: look at beamshots, if you like the flood (and don't mind the small artifacts) go for it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just pulled the trigger on the cool white version. I went with cool white mostly due to the fact I'm going to use it mostly indoors, and if I like it well enough I might just get the neutral white version as well some time later. I'll post back once I recieve and let you guys know what I think. Oh, now the wait begins, boy I love the anticipation and excitement of waiting for the new light to arrive.

johm

Newly Enlightened
Excellent decision :twothumbs

Quick tip: If you unscrew the head just enough to go to 'colors' mode (a tiny bit), then you can switch color (normally done by tightening and loosening the head) by applying a small amount of force on the head (sideways or back towards the body).
And although this is not strange behavior to twisty mechanisms, in the case of the RGB with this User Interface it is IMO a blessing.

You can always 'cancel' this effect by loosening the head a bit more.