Fenix MC10 Review: Pics, Runtime, Beamshots, and more!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

Up for review is the Fenix MC10 Anglelight- a modern version of the anglelight made to replace the many old incandescent models on the market.

Here are some of the specs from , , who kindly provided the light for review. Take a look at their site, please! :thumbsup:

• Cree XP-E R2 Emitter
  • # 3 lighting levels, 2 flashing modes -Lighting mode: 50 lumens (5hrs) -> 5 lumens (65hrs) -> 125 lumens (1.2hrs) -Flashing mode: Strobe -> SOS
  • Uses one 1.5V AA battery (Alkaline, Ni-MH)
  • Size: 99mm( Length)*21.5mm(Diameter of the body tube)*25mm(Diameter of the lighting head)
  • Materials: aircraft-grade aluminum (lighting head), quality plastic ( Body tube)
  • Weight: 53.5g
  • Accessories: fastener, lanyard, diffuser lens , body clip

Tested Lumens -- From BigChelis
124.6 Peak OTF
109.2 Peak OTF w/ diffuser

here is the light:
IMG_2632_processed.JPG

Fenix uses plastic packaging versus their traditional paper box + plastic insert on the MC10 -- I guess it makes the light easier to inspect without opening the box.

IMG_2635_processed.JPG

Inside the packaging is manual, orings, lanyard, diffusor, and warranty information.

IMG_2638_processed.JPG

The diffusor is pretty nice -- made of plastic, with a well designed joint-- with a detent to keep the diffuser angle constant.

IMG_2639_processed.JPG

plastic body, aluminum head :)

IMG_2640_processed.JPG

Diffusor on, but not in place

IMG_2641_processed.JPG

Diffusor in place.

IMG_2642_processed.JPG

IMG_2643_processed.JPG

IMG_2644_processed.JPG

IMG_2646_processed.JPG

IMG_2647_processed.JPG

IMG_2649_processed.JPG

IMG_2653_processed.JPG

IMG_2654_processed.JPG

IMG_2655_processed.JPG

IMG_2656_processed.JPG

IMG_2657_processed.JPG

IMG_2658_processed.JPG

IMG_2659_processed.JPG

IMG_2660_processed.JPG

IMG_2661_processed.JPG

Size Comparisons:
on hold. some lights are oddly missing from my collection at the moment. currently investigating.

Comparison Beamshots:
on hold. some lights are oddly missing from my collection at the moment. currently investigating.

White Wall Shots:
Shutter Speed is not specified -- the white wall shots are meant to show artifacts, rings, etc in the beam, not for brightness comparison.
IMG_2663_processed.JPG

IMG_2664_processed.JPG

super smooth beam with a nice, well defined hotspot from the XP-E

Outdoor Beamshots:
Fenix MC10 1xAA
IMG_2189_processed.JPG
IMG_2190_processed.JPG

IMG_2191_processed.JPG
IMG_2192_processed.JPG

Fenix MC10 1xAA With included diffuser
IMG_2193_processed.JPG
IMG_2194_processed.JPG

IMG_2195_processed.JPG
IMG_2196_processed.JPG

Runtime:
SS-2010.05.10-20.11.21.png

Impressions:
The Fenix MC10 was a rather strange looking light when I first saw it over the internet. Well, to be exact, most anglehead type lights looks awkward in pictures, and I never thought I would carry one at all. When I received the MC10 in the mail, I was struck at first by how small it was. This, I think, made it much more useful, and I tried carrying it around for a few days to give it a chance. The result: The Fenix MC10 was surprisingly useful for the daily tasks I go through. From fixing things, to reading books at night, the MC10 proved to be one of the most useful, and special lights I have ever experienced.
Of course, that is not to say I don't have some gripes. I would have preferred that the digital switch would have some tactile feel to it. It appears that they made the switching system too tight, thus not allowing room for an actual "click" type of feel when activating the switch. I don't have too much of a problem with it, as it seems easy enough to activate. I love how the clip on the light is rotatable - you can rotate it to the front, so that you can clip the light to the outside of your pocket, or to your shirt, for walking outside or working on something with both hands. The design of the light, of course, also allows you to set it on a surface. :)
Also, the included diffuser is a very nice bonus indeed, as it helps quite a bit with close range objects, but, it seems to also reflect some light backwards.. right into your eyes.. ouch! That's one of my biggest negatives with it.
All in all, I think this is a vast improvement of the old incandescent anglelights of many years ago, and I think it would be very useful in someone's DIY toolbox, and for camping! (though, I have not brought this particular light on a trip, as I haven't been on one as of late.

The Bright Side Discussion Forum link: http://brightside.lumensreview.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75

strinq

Enlightened
Great review here Craig.
And i've been praising this light since i got it.
Seriously one of THE most useful lights in the market. Well angles, strong clip, easy to tailstand, solid build, really good diffuser. Can't praise it enough.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
It's surprising to see that it stands up okay with the head tilted over considering the head is metal and the body is plastic.

I guess they considered that when making the light and made it all balance.

Does it still stand up with the head angled without the batteries in?

daf3m

Enlightened
I like the colour..I thought it was available only in blue-azure which i find ugly!Of course i'd prefer a full metal body..

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been thinking of getting one of these they do seem to be useful and from what you say they indeed are so I guess I will get one.

:candle: What? This sounds scary did you find your missing lights?

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, Craig. Nice pics as usual. :twothumbs I've always been interested in the utility of this light, though I have some worries about the connection between the battery and the head since the light is hinged... (electrical + waterproof/dust build-up proofness, heh)

Funny about the diffuser shooting light back into the eyes - I think a reviewer on the 4sevens store mentioned painting the sides black to rid of this "side effect".

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
nice review,craig.thanks a lot.
been using mine a lot at work.mine´s the blue one,and maybe is an ugly color,but that way it´s easy to find in the dark.

It's surprising to see that it stands up okay with the head tilted over considering the head is metal and the body is plastic.

I guess they considered that when making the light and made it all balance.

Does it still stand up with the head angled without the batteries in?

well,the body is made of aluminium.the plastic just covers it.i guess it´s for protection.
and yes.it will stand without a battery with the head angled.

like i said before it´s a nice light for working, really versatile and useful

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Craig!

I didn't like this diffuser. As you said, it seems to also reflect some light backwards. I think the mounting and holder of it should be in black plastic. My thought.

Cheers
Dioni

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Can 14500 batteries be used? It would be a dealbreaker for me...
Thanks Craig.

definitely not. I bought two. Killed one with a 3.6V Lithium primary..:confused: That one was defective anyways, they machined the battery tube out of spec and certain brand Alkalines would not fit. So it was going back as an RMA anyways, and I figured what the heck. so Lithium Ion is out of the question.

Few more observations:
-This light has no visible PWM flicker on low modes.
-The Hi mode drops when the cell depletes. So it kind of serves as a low battery indicator. The modes just go Med/Med/Lo.
-There are two versions of this light. The XPE-R2 you see in Craigs review and my video... and an Osram golden dragon. I am not sure how the two versions compare.

Really nice light overall. I place it on my PC and use it to gently light my keyboard at night.
;)

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
:( Oh I don't want to depend on Eneloops... and lithiums L91 are so expensive.

Why ever not? :)
Rechargeable NimH's are good.
Anyways, just to add.
I did some night running with this and it's great.
Did some hiking too with it on my belt, it actually is more comfortable than a headlamp IMHO.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Fry's is selling some Fenix lights including this one. I agree that it is a good light for the glove box, tool box, or bag. It's too big for pocket or belt carry, which is why I haven't bought one. I would buy one in a heartbeat if they make the next version smaller. I have compared its size to my Zebralight H501 more than once. By my estimate, it's about 60% larger than the H501.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Why ever not? :)
Rechargeable NimH's are good.
Anyways, just to add.
I did some night running with this and it's great.
Did some hiking too with it on my belt, it actually is more comfortable than a headlamp IMHO.

I think I got too used to 14500's, 18650's and CR123 primaries to deal with the longer recharging times of NiMH and their self discharge (even Eneloops). Eneloops sitting for a month will show around 1.3 volts, whereas the 14500's stay at full charge much longer and they pack more energy.
If only L91 lithiums were cheap...

Maybe the MC10 is a nice light for emergencies, where you can put four L91s with it for long storage such as glove box, trunk and other places.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Really nice light overall. I place it on my PC and use it to gently light my keyboard at night.
;)

Exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I was looking at Cheap DX keyboard lights, but what fun is that for a flashaholic?

I take it the head angles down sufficiently to work well for this?
Nevermind, I just seen the pics above and it appears that it does angle down plenty.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I was looking at Cheap DX keyboard lights, but what fun is that for a flashaholic?

I take it the head angles down sufficiently to work well for this?
Nevermind, I just seen the pics above and it appears that it does angle down plenty.

dscn2909y.jpg

dscn2910.jpg

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! :thumbsup:

I've been eyeing an MC10 for my collection too. I don't think that I have any particular task for it, but I just know that once I get it, I'll most definitely use it. It's a type of light that I just don't have at the moment.

SixM

Newly Enlightened

Excellent, thank you!

This would also make an excellent work light for me, often I am working/ grinding by the light of a incan trouble light. Many times there are no open cords available, and breakers frequently get tripped. One of these would be great to have.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a side note, it seems like Fenix is really focusing on AA powered lights over the past couple of years. They seem to have a large chunk of the high performance AA light market, with the MC10 just another example of them having at least one light in every category of AA powered light. It would be interesting if they release more angle lights powered by other types of batteries. A CR123A powered one would be nice and stubby and perfect for a shirt pocket.