TK40's not all created equal

trescocos

Newly Enlightened
I bought 5 tk40's the other day - pool buy for friends. loaded them up with new enloops and 2 of the 5 have a noticeably yellower spot. I switched battery packs to isolate a battery issue and no - it is the actual unit. some are bright white and others a yellower shade :) had to draw straws on distribution.!

wonder what that is all about

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
We call that the tint lottery!

Although it is over today in terms that you don't get purple and green beams anymore, you still have a variation in tint.

I've no idea how big your differences were, but they should be minor, so, that you see a difference comparing the lights, but used alone the tints should all look more or less bright white, yellow beams are not right, that's would be another bin (though I'm not sure they even use only one bin...).

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If by "noticeably yellow," you mean "closer to incandescent," congratulations, you've just won what many consider a desirable feature in the tint lottery... A neutral/warm tint!

In real world use, it's probably not going to be an issue, and in fact, may make colors appear a little more "clear" when outdoors, compared to the pure-white lights.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about it. All too often, flashlight enthusiasts spend *way* too much time obsessing over how their lights look when shining them on an indoor white wall. Do yourself a favor, release those TK40s from their indoor prison and get them out in the open where they belong! :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care about small differences of tints. A warmer tint to the yellowish I consider as good, slight greenish not a problem at all. But I don't like bluish, and purple really sucks, in my opinion. My TK30 has a warm very slight greenish tint.

Regards, Patric

trescocos

Newly Enlightened
Not all TK40's created equal

I bought 5 tk40's for friends - group buy. I loaded them up with new fresh charged enloops and 3 lights had a bright intense white spot and 2 had a dimmer yellower spot. I switched battery packs around and isolated the problem to the light and not the power source.
Wonder what this is all about?

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Not all TK40's created equal

didn't you already post a thread stating this exact thing? Answers were given there.

As has already been discussed, it's not a problem, it's a tint lottery. Many people prefer the "yellow-er" light from a neutral/warm tinted LED, especially when it happens by accident. It's better than getting a swamp-green tinted light.

Deal with it, or, if none of your friends are willing to put up with it, return the neutral-tinted ones and buy some more.

trescocos

Newly Enlightened

yes i did post but couldnt find it so thought it didnt make it. will look again.
ok the tint lottery . thats kind of what i figured. thanks

kramer5150

Flashaholic

as stated before.. tint lotto.
Fenix only advertises lumen output and therefore in this one respect they ARE all EQUAL.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

As others have said, please don't post 2 threads about the same thing - read Rule 9. I'm merging them.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

yes i did post but couldnt find it so thought it didnt make it. will look again.
ok the tint lottery . thats kind of what i figured. thanks

If you can't find a post you can try running a search through the google search box or an advanced search (this link should be just above the google search box). The advanced search also lets you search by username. :)

Another thing that can be useful is that if you click on a username, it will take you to that user's profile and you can find all threads posted by them via that page.

fannin

Enlightened
pure white or a warmer yellow: either sound pretty good to me, a purple or a green would be a problem but you should be happy with those man.

the yellow ones may be nicer outdoors anyway