O-Ring Information for SF 10X owners

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,

After trying out many different sizes, I feel that 1 7/8" x 3/32" works best. 1 7/8" is the inside diameter, 3/32 is the thickness or wall size.

This is slightly larger in thickness, a little smaller in diameter than the OEM O-Ring. The thickness makes the head assembly feel very solid and the slightly smaller diameter keeps the o-ring tight on the body.

If you have a lowes near you it can be found in the plumbing section near the sink parts. At Lowes the brand is BrassCraft, Part #0613. At Home Depot, the company is Danco.

I have found that replacing one is sufficient in making it solid feeling. I think I'm the only one that feels the OEM O-Rings were too small?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I have two 10X lights, one A01807 and A02020 and the former has that loose fit, and the latter is nice and firm.

I can't be sure I didn't swap battery packs at some point so it could be the other way around.

Casual visual inspection shows both to have two O rings and both look the same size.

Hmm?

-john

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi John,

The 10X feels like it's one piece with the 3/32"w o-ring. It could be slight manufacturing differences in the battery and/or head assembly. Maybe I'm just too picky.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Surefire M6:
Hi,

I have found that replacing one is sufficient in making it solid feeling. I think I'm the only one that feels the OEM O-Rings were too small?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am with you on this one.
grin.gif
I'm heading to Home Depot on Saturday thanks for the tip.
grin.gif

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
My 10x has two O rings which do i need to replace if any to have it as described above?

Also could you give me the size of the replacement O-ring in mm?

Thanks

Tombeis

Enlightened
oren1s:

I replaced the single O-ring on both my 10X's with the same size O-rings that SF M6 recommended above.

The conversion from inches to centimeters is from an internet converter and is as follows:

3/32nds.+ ).237998 centimeters.
1-7/8ths inches= 4.7625 centimeters.

I coated the bore of the 10X head with a thin film of silicone grease to help with the waterproofing and the ease of rotation with the larger diameter O-ring.

The silicon grease should also be available from a plumbing supplier where you get the O-rings.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SF M6 said:
After trying out many different sizes, I feel that 1 7/8" x 3/32" works best. 1 7/8" is the inside diameter, 3/32 is the thickness or wall size.

If you have a lowes near you it can be found in the plumbing section near the sink parts. At Lowes the brand is BrassCraft, Part #0613. At Home Depot, the company is Danco.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally got around to trying this out and have a couple of notes.

First, the BrassCraft part #0613 SF M6 refers to actually has an *outer* diameter of 1 7/8", not an ID. The part is marked 1 11/16" ID and the 3/32" thickness as SF M6 indicates.

Second, I noticed that the two channels on the 10X have different depth grooves and different thickness O-Rings. I had not noticed this before.

It looks like if you have the thinner ring in the shallower channel, the two O-rings should be even. Obviously this looks intentional - but I'm not sure why to do it this way. It seems if the channels were the same and the O-rings were the same it would be a lot simpler. Thoughts?

Third, I couldn't get a fit I liked. The 1 11/16" x 3/32" o-ring in the shallower groove was too stiff IMO. Using the SF thin o-ring seemed too loose. Using the SF thick o-ring (still thinner than the 3/32" one) it still seems too thick. Also, with this configuration, the 3/32" o-ring in the deeper channel doesn't come up enough to be even with the SF o-ring making it pretty much pointless.

Any thoughts?

-john

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
For what its worth, I replaced the rubber O ring on my mini mag to stop wobble and keep my badboy sandwich dry. The problem I had was that there was a very slight variation in many of the gaskets of a given size that I had to try several to get the desired fit. Don't know if rubber gaskets have much variation or if someone replaced a few in the wrong bin. They looked identical.

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
I just got my new 10x a few days ago and mine is equipped with 2 O rings, one is substantially larger than the other (The one closest to the bezel is the bigger one).

Bjorn