New 500 lumen MCE light from... Coleman!!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually been out for a month or two now. Someone was telling me its not very good though. Poor regulation maybe? I forget.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know what the battery holder looks like, as well as what 'PerfectBeam™ light technology' is. If it's cheaper than the ITP A6, could be interesting...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many people (non-flashahols) will buy this,

put in the stock batteries,

go Ooh, Ahh, then,

leave it for six months in the cupboard and
go to use it when they need it and :oops:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The time is coming my friends, when you won't have to order via Web Sites or buy from the CPF MarketPlace to get a high output torch. 500 lumens for $80 - not bad bang for your buck!! I agree with Jash about the possible problems with long term storage and leaking batteries - alkalines subjected to high draw in a device such as this almost always leak - in my experience anway.:sick2:

James....

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Coleman doesn't say anything about it even being regulated.:whistle:
However if it is it might not be a bad light.
Someone please test and review it!:D

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a valid point that one day, when led technology matures, there won't be as much of a market for "exclusive" lights as we discuss here as the local Walmart el cheapo light will have the same specs.

They are already as good I would imagine as what would have been discussed on here several years ago.

Then the technology matures and lights sold in Walmart catch up it won't be as much of a hobby anymore.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
its actually 50 bucks if you look at the coleman family store, if that encourages anyone to be our guinea pig. :poke:

The time is coming my friends, when you won't have to order via Web Sites or buy from the CPF MarketPlace to get a high output torch. 500 lumens for $80 - not bad bang for your buck!! I agree with Jash about the possible problems with long term storage and leaking batteries - alkalines subjected to high draw in a device such as this almost always leak - in my experience anway.:sick2:

James....

I'm not as confident as you are that we're going to see the same quality specimens as we are able to purchase here in the places you mention, but I hope I am wrong.

Illum

Flashaholic
I really hope nonflashaholics get into this...they need to be enlightened soon or later. however the 6AA part is still a bit on the odd side, why not 3C and a boost circuit?

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I am sure that you will be able to buy lights that are as bright, one day. However, by then, CPF will have lights that are still at the cutting edge and years ahead of the big box store. Plus, the variety of materials and craftsmanship will never be available at Walmart.

Once the final bit of efficiency is pulled from leds and available at a place like Walmart, there will be a new technology we'll all be drooling over.......

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not as confident as you are that we're going to see the same quality specimens as we are able to purchase here in the places you mention, but I hope I am wrong.

It will take just ONE flashaholic to get promoted to 'Purchasing Manager' at a big chain store (K-mart, Target, whoever) and then ring Fenix and say "If I order 10,000 of these, what can you do them for?" And you will see a TK20 retailing for $30 right there next to the batteries in the homewares isle.

Illum

Flashaholic
It will take just ONE flashaholic to get promoted to 'Purchasing Manager' at a big chain store (K-mart, Target, whoever) and then ring Fenix and say "If I order 10,000 of these, what can you do them for?" And you will see a TK20 retailing for $30 right there next to the batteries in the homewares isle.

if the public does not consider the progress of flashlights as essential you could potentially have fenixes sitting beside evereadys and have people walk up and choosing the latter...sales manager or not.:shakehead

superdave138, you're going way off topic here, lets stick with the coleman light will ya? :thinking:

joe1512

Enlightened
For the same price, I am very sure that I'd prefer my itp A6 polestar. itp has been making quality lights for a lot longer than Coleman. Hence, their regulation, circuitry, etc is bound to be a lot better.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
While statement two may be accurate, statement one is not.

And, Coleman undoubtedly didn't manufacture the flashlight. Therefore, it is quite likely from one of the other china-based factories we are already buying from. It's just a question of which one, and what specs did Coleman agree to? They clearly wanted to keep cost down and use AA's.

And, Coleman undoubtedly didn't manufacture the flashlight. Therefore, it is quite likely from one of the other china-based factories we are already buying from. It's just a question of which one, and what specs did Coleman agree to? They clearly wanted to keep cost down and use AA's.

Why the Coleman hate? Do you have any proof they outsourced the manufacture of this light? What even gives you reason to believe that? Is it CLEARLY copied from another light's design? (probably not otherwise you and others would have said so). "They clearly wanted to keep costs down" did they? Can you tell me the last time a manufacturer of products sold at Wal-Mart and every other big box store said "To hell with keeping costs down, spare no expense on this one." Even 4Sevens, likely the most respected production level manufacturer on this site, is always talking about keeping costs down.

papajoe

Newly Enlightened
I think the intent of the OP was to draw our attention to an obscure product that may have potential interest on the forum.

As an aside to this, I have a Coleman 2CR2 Max, 115 lumen, from Walmart for $24. Great bargain, well built, performs as advertised, suits "my" needs, no problems (so far).

Could this larger light be a bargain as well? I don't know, but I hope someone here takes the plunge and tells the rest of us the raw performance details of this lamp.

I don't care about outsourcing, China, copyright, the future of flashlights, etc. I just wanna know about the OP's discovery.

Holy Illumination Batman . . . . . :popcorn: