Nitecore D10 buyers -- are we chumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatman

Enlightened
Like many of you, I bought a D10 from 4Sevens. I had some initial issues, and was assured that this light was not problem-prone. That was despite a number of posts to the contrary.

What I find disturbing is the following post from 4Sevens on 4/23/10. It is the first public statement I have seen acknowledging the extent of the problems:

4sevens
user_offline.gif

Man-Ad-CPF.gif

icon1.gif
Re: 4Sevens Quark with Piston Drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower
Not. Gonna. Happen.

haha that's right. the nitecore implementation has abysmal reliability - we're still getting them back from customers - they fail for no reason months after being used. we send loads of them back to the manufacturer and most of them come back still defective.

also, they don't do well with the mass market. people still like the clicky feedback. maybe there's a niche demand in cpf, but our numbers tell us otherwise for the mass market.

Here's the link, so you can read the full context for yourself:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=224077

Now, before you flame me, like many of us, I'm a big fan of 4Sevens, its well-deserved reputation for service and its excellent Quark line. I'm awaiting a new Quark warm as I write this.

And, in fairness, 4Sevens worked with me to resolve my issues. My D10 works pretty well now (cross fingers.)

My concern is about disclosure. When was 4Sevens (or, for that matter, anyone else involved in the manufacturing and sale of this light) going to tell consumers about this "abysmal reliability" and the fact that he was sending "loads" of D10s back to the manufacturer and getting them returned still defective? On the face of it, not until after he stopped carrying them.

There is undoubtedly more to this, and I for one would like to hear the full explanation. Although 4Sevens no longer is carrying D10s, other dealers are and many here are continuing to buy them (I bought a Tribute model.) Even as this information about lack of reliability is coming out, others here continue to post tributes to the light.

A lot of us are feeling like chumps right now, so, please -- give us the facts.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
mine works fine so far, and it's from the very first pre-order batch. My concern is that the only disclosure we have is from 4sevens, whose relationship with nitecore seems to have soured quite a bit.

I've spent my share of money at 4-sevens over the years and don't plan to stop, but the statement is not from an impartial source.

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
i have a couple of ex10s (r2) -- no real problems. one started to flicker and i was having problems with turning it off and on, etc. but a bit of research here and a bit of lube between the brass ring and the head fixed my problem completely.

when i had to send my extreme r2 back to china, nitecore's customer service was top notch. i bought all of my nitecores from 4sevens and when the extreme shorted out, 4sevens suggested i contact nitecore directly and everything went fine when i did. i have the extreme back in working order now.

without knowing nitecore's side of things, i will continue to completely support 4sevens and nitecore...until i have a reason not to.

entoptics

Enlightened
I'm feeling similar to Hatman. I bought a D10 Tribute from BatteryJunction about a week before the above "disclosure" primarily because of the great feedback I read around CPF.

A couple weeks after I have it in hand, and "the D10 is junk" threads start showing up with alarming frequency.

I love the light, but have had some issues already myself. The pocket clip cracked lengthways (batjunct quickly sent a new one), the little brass ring in the head is sticky, and my piston was a real bear to press and took quite a bit of fiddling to finally sort it out.

I too am concerned with 4sevens waiting to disclose "abysmal reliability" until after they have dropped sales and support. To be fair, 4sevens shouldn't take a financial hit for another manufacturers problems, but it still smacks of keeping quiet in order to clear inventory, and then proceeding to slam a competitors product.

hatman

Enlightened
Yes, by all means, let's hear Nitecore's side.
And the dealers' side(s) as well.

Lets hear from the maker and the sellers. Give us the facts. That's what this thread aims to do.

Let's not turn this into another, mine works, no mine doesn't work thread.

Thanks.

jsmitty1967

Newly Enlightened
I have a GDP version if that gives you an idea how old it is and I have never had a problem. I think the issue with the D10 is how long it has been available. There has to be as many of them out there as any decent quality EDC light. The more there are out there the greater the number of failures there will be. The problem is I think people are way more apt to post a complaint than if the light worked the way it was supposed to. I think the vast majority have had a an experience similar to mine or else the light wouldn't have stayed on the market the way it has.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the original pre-order D10s when they were selling the tritium vials and slotted pistons. It has worked well, and sees use almost nightly. I like the low mode for night-time navigation, and checking on my son. The high level is only a double press away. I have not babied the light at all, and it shows. But, the light still functions well and remains one of my favorites. So I feel like I have made a good purchase, even with the added expense of the tritium piston.

Maybe the new versions are not as stable, or well constructed as the older versions?

antikythera

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the original pre-order D10s when they were selling the tritium vials and slotted pistons. It has worked well, and sees use almost nightly. I like the low mode for night-time navigation, and checking on my son. The high level is only a double press away. I have not babied the light at all, and it shows. But, the light still functions well and remains one of my favorites. So I feel like I have made a good purchase, even with the added expense of the tritium piston.

Maybe the new versions are not as stable, or well constructed as the older versions?

+1

I bought one of the first R2 lights, and have gotten a lot of use out of it. I really like the feel of the PD clicky, and have had no problems at all with it. It is an excellent travel light due to its small size and common battery type, and being taken everywhere, has taken its fair share of knocks. Apart from some cosmetic damage (weak anno job on the light), it looks and functions as it did when I first bought it.

Like datiLED, I too feel that the purchase of my D10 was money well spent.

DM51

Flashaholic
This forum is for the discussion of lights. It is not the place to discuss dealers or manufacturers, or ask for their input/explanations. Please take such topics to the appropriate section in CPFMarketPlace.

Status
Not open for further replies.