Please Help With Nitecore Rail Mount Search.

SilentType

Newly Enlightened
After much searching I have come to the conclusion that this website has the most knowledgeable and experienced individuals posting in regards to flashlights.

So I have come here with my first post to ask for help.

I have a Nitecore Extreme R2 flashlight. I would like to mount it to a MIL-STD-1913 rail in an offset mount. The Nitecore company has emailed me stating that the diameter of the light is 17.8 mm and I am having difficulty finding an offset light mount that will accommodate the diameter of the Nitecore Extreme R2 and the short length of its body.

All the mounts seem to be 18mm. Is .2mm going to make that much of difference and lead to the loosely mounted light?

I appreciate any assistance that anyone could offer as to where such a mount can be obtained or how I can modify it to fit in an alternative mount without losing any of it's operating modes.

Thank you.

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
:welcome:
shimming would be easy enough, and, you'll need to find a mount short enough to hold the body though too?

a bigger concern to me would be damage caused to the light circuit board and cell from weapon recoil.

Lights that are designed for weapon use typically have a spring contact on both ends of battery contact, not just tail cap but also at head/+ end.

This design allows the cell/s to move within the body like a shock absorber thus minimizing the damage caused by the recoil.

The battery/ies basically becomes a battering ram slamming against the head/circuit board in the head, and at the battery end (protection ICB board) during recoil.
The battery can momentarily also loose contact at the head causing some lights to activate strobe or other hidden modes. (same way a quick momentary can do from the tail cap)

I don't remember, but I don't believe the Extreme has a spring at head/+ end? :eek:

There is a similar thread in the Batteries section stating even the fairly light recoil from a HK MP5 can cause damage to cells.

Tod

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery can momentarily also loose contact at the head causing some lights to activate strobe or other hidden modes. (same way a quick momentary can do from the tail cap)
A weapon-mounted light should not have multiple modes. It should be on/off. In the heat of the moment you should not be fumbling with the light trying to switch modes. That could cost you your life. Can you imagine turning on the light only to find that the last time you had it turned on it was on low?

entoptics

Enlightened
Doh! See the next post.

0.2 mm is 0.008", so I think a pop can shim would be too thick. Perhaps aluminum foil would work, since you're dealing with the thickness of only 2 sheets of copy paper.

Not sure how much battering the light will take, but I'd be surprised if it wouldn't hold up to recoil at that price point. Who knows though.

Last edited:

apdb90

Newly Enlightened
The O-light mount is pretty long, and 1" (25.4 mm) diameter, so it's probably too big for the OP's purposes.

0.2 mm is 0.008", so I think a pop can shim would be too thick. Perhaps aluminum foil would work, since you're dealing with the thickness of only 2 sheets of copy paper.

Not sure how much battering the light will take, but I'd be surprised if it wouldn't hold up to recoil at that price point. Who knows though.

Not an M series mount, a T series. The M series mount is for 1" diameter, but the T series is smaller and has a much smaller "footprint" on the battery tube.