does your E1B have horrible rings?

KAP

Newly Enlightened
sorry i dont have pics, but i just got my e1b and couldnt help but notice the several rings in the beam. they are noticeable even while not shining it on a wall. all of my SFs have never had this, but ive never had a TIR model so is this normal or did i just get stuck with a bad one?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my surefire TIRs i have ever owned has rings except an E2L. With that said, I only notice them indoors and not outdoors so it doesn't bother me.

Give SF a call if your are unhappy.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, it is almost impossible to get ring free beam from a TIR. All the SF that I have seen has rings in the beam, that includes my LX2, E1B, and also the L1 which I once owned. That is normal. I don't do white wall hunting so I can accept the rings. In actual practcal use, they are not noticeable. If you don't like the rings, you are better off buying a light that uses reflector instead. The rings are caused by refraction of lights from the optics so it is normal. You could either return them or put them up for sale on CPF.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't see any rings in my E1B's beam but it depends also on what you call 'rings'. Do you have a light with a CREE XR-E and a smooth reflector for comparison? :p

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a cheap TIR from DX that I used to replace a reflector and it has no rings. An aspheric will have rings but a TIR shouldn't.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My older L1 Cree has some dark rings, as does my new LX2, but the rings in my LX2 are much less noticeable. In use, I don't ever notice.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has some slight yellowish rings at the outside edge of the spill beam. Also has a slight dark ring around the hotspot. These are not really that bad in mine. Not really noticeable in actual use beyond the white wall. I like the overall beam pattern and the large hotspot more than makes up for the few artifacts.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have no beamshots, you should at least describe where exactly you see those rings!

I just checked mine, until now I haven't seen any rings in real use. Shing at the ceiling, I get a bright and huge plain hotspot, surrounded by a bright spill, no rings in there and that's the usable part of the beam. Because of the TIR, there is not much brightness in the corona, the spill ends more or less cut off and the dim corona is indeed full of rings, which I barely see, beause it's so dim compared to the hotspot and the spill.

That's what I call a normal beam for a TIR, you concentrate everything you get in the center of the beam and don't care about the dim light around, it's enough to let you see what is around, but it isn't really usable.

Are those the rings you are reffering to, or do you see some in the hotspot/spill area, where you shouldn't see any?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my TIR Surefire light's are also a big hotspot surrounded by even spill. I only see a ring maybe on the very outer edge of the spill and it's really not noticeable. They certainly don't have rings like a typical XR-E with reflector. Can you post a pic even if it's poor quality we could see if it's normal or not.

Newly Enlightened
Surefire TIRs have notoriously ugly beams. For some reason, you don't see a lot of people on here admitting it.

These are not the ideal lights for sitting inside your home, closely examining the beam on a white wall. I would recommend a Surefire light that uses a reflectored SSC P4 for wall duty.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, my E1B has some rings, just like my L1 (both use TIR), but I only notice them while white wall hunting...

In real use I can´t see them. :sssh:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire TIRs have notoriously ugly beams. For some reason, you don't see a lot of people on here admitting it.

These are not the ideal lights for sitting inside your home, closely examining the beam on a white wall. I would recommend a Surefire light that uses a reflectored SSC P4 for wall duty.

Yep. But there are a large number of folks here whose "real use" seems to be only shooting white walls. :(

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is Surefire notorious for ugly beams? Not that I know of. I think that Surefire's TIR optic produces one of the best throw beams we could have because the farther the distance the bigger the hot spot. The slight rings on the side spill is negligible compared to the beautiful throw it provides. With that said, of course you don't see much of anyone complaining about it because we all love the beam profile. Most of those who bought the E1B and LX2 seems to love what the two lights does best, which is throw with some usable side spill.

And correction for you, no one is admitting it because no one thinks that it is notoriously ugly, so what is there to admit? Surefire users are mainly users and we use our Surefire lights as tools in situation where we can depend on them not to fail. The majority of us who bought Surefire are happy with our purchase.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG, WHAT'S THAT?!?

And also, a piece of good advice. Unintelligent comments like this are best left out of your post because it is not really welcomed here in CPF. Questions like this are looked upon as for the purpose of baiting another poster.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1L has some dark rings on the edge of the spill and out into the corona. In use outdoors, where I use this light, they aren't noticeable. The hotspot and inner spill are clean.

I have other lights that have reflectors that have ringy spill edges and coronas, and they really don't affect outdoor, or even indoor use, at some distance.

What gets me all ticked off are beams that have rings right up against the hotspot and through the whole darned spill, :shakehead but....no, we don't want to go there.