I need some sound advice...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first post to this forum. I have been a lurker for the last few days and decided to sign up. My question is this. I am looking for a light that will throw a good spot out to 150 to 200 yds. I will use this light only for when I run my dogs at night. I live out in the country and run them without a lead for excersise as they are 4 big dogs. For emergency purposes if a dog goes after a coyote or a deer and will not respond to my whistle I have a one million cp Max Spot Light but for general purposes when out with the dogs I would like something smaller to carry instead of lugging the spot light around. I was thinking about the US as I already own the SL Stinger XT/HP which is rated at 40,000 cp. I did talk to Greg at BG and he told me that the US would be 3 times brigher than the XT/HP with the 10 watt versus 6 watt bulb that is in the XT/HP. Does anyone have experience with the US? If so do you think it would serve my needs. Could I spot a dog say 200yds in the dead of night with the US. Keep in mind that all this talk of Hot Spots and Surround light I don't think is all that important for my application. I also would like to stay away from the SF line as I think in my own opinion of course are grossely over priced and most of them carry the wide beams instead of a adjustable spot/flood beam.

I did recently purchase the Twin Task 3C by SL and that is a work of art, really impressed with this light.

Thanks all for your help...

Dukester

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Definitely Tigerlight.

Rechargeable batteries, many times brighter than a Surefire 6P, and a pre-focused non-adjustable beam. The light will definitely throw far enough for your needs.

And best of all, only around $130.

jtice

Flashaholic
Hmm, Im not sure about the brightness of the stinger..
But, I would recommend the PT Tec 40 = 4AA batts very bright. Much brighter than a 2D M*g.
Or, a PT Surge.= 8 AA batts, VERY bright, and still smaller than a 2D M*g.

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
The US will do what you are looking for. 600 feet is not a problem for this light. I am using mine at the same distance and more and it doing the job just fine.

Chris

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided with the US, partly because I already have the quick charge a long with the piggy back charging set up for my SL XT/HP Stinger. I found out that the US can be used on the same charging station, neat...

Anyway, what would be a good back up lithium flashlight? Again this would mostly be used for when I am out running the dogs. No need for a tactical setup, that's what my Glock is for:). I was thinking on the SL Scorpion?

RY3

Enlightened
Both SF E2e & SL Scorpion are great. SF L4 & ARC LS are also nice if you consider LED.

However, as a backup light, I like UKE 2L because of it's size, weight & run-time. They are inexpensive too.

My opinion of cause. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I second the suggestion of the UKE 2L if you want a compact 123-powered light. It's very lightweight and simple and makes a pretty tight beam for its size. The Scorpion is an ok light but I've been hearing the bulbs burn out pretty fast. You could look at the Pelican M6 which has a tighter beam than the Surefires, but is kind of heavy for a 2x123 light.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've already made up your mind. What I have to say is just to get you to look at things from a different angle.

First of all, if your only experience with a "better" class of flashlights is the Streamlight brand, your really missing out here.

Do not get me wrong, Streamlight makes solid, strong flashlights at a price point most people consider the TOP of their budget. Most people look at the heavy construction and say this must be a good light! Same thing with Maglight people equate solid construction with a good light output and nice beam, it ain't so! If you have never directly compared them to a "top of the line" brand like Surefire, you don't know a world class flashlight is. In my opinion the difference is impressive. If you can't afford the price that is ok, but my papa taught me when I was a kid you get what you pay for.

I've had my Streamlight 3C twin task for a few days now. My impression is it's a great light if all your used to is a Maglight but it's crap compared to a Surefire. I've bought my first Surefire 15 or so years ago and never looked back. In fifiteen years of buying using and comparing flashlights with guys and friends at work the only thing I've seen that compares to surefire are the ARC lights. When I was on Graveshift a co-worker was talking big stuff about his ultrastinger, saves money/rechargeble, great price, blah blah, he never said a thing when I pulled out my SF and lit up the night.

Yep Surefires ARE expensive, too expensive. However if you want a flashlight you can pull out of a coat or pants pocket and light up the night....

Flame away guys....

GregR

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure Al, but I think I goofed up when I edited my post. Thanks for taking care of it for me!

GregR

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
GregR - You do make some good points on the SureFire Line of flashlights, and as you put it probably is top of the line for flashlights. For my needs though I would think the Streamlight Line would suffice. Surefire mainly produces tatical flashlights which produce a wide spread beam. I do not need this type of flashlight for only running my dogs at night. I need a light that will throw a beam out there where I can spot a dog out in the dark out at say 200yds or maybe a bit more. I was pretty impressed with my SL Stinger XT/HP in the dead of night throws a descent beam out to say 150 - 200yds. Greg told me that the US would be 3 times brighter than the XT/HP so it sounds like a winner to me. I have seen sample Light Comparison Photo's of say TigerLight versus US and while I am certain the Tigerlight is a fine light looking at the comparsion the Tigerlight might be marginally better than the US in the beam test and I use marginally rather loosely here. Hardly enough to justify the difference of $50 to $60 in cost.

Those nasty replacement lamps for Surefire, my gosh. Only good for 20 hours and I almost had a cow when I saw the replacement cost for those lamps. I have seen anywhere from $15 - $30 (these prices are approximate)depending on what model? Reminds me of Hewlett Packard the manufacturer of their fine inkjet printers. They actually make their money from their ink cartridges they sell as a consumeable item versus their actual printers. Likewise with Surefire, they make their money from the consumeables such as the costly lamp assemblies...

I don't want you to think that I am bashing SureFire, I am not... If I was in the market for a tatical flashlight I would be taking a hard look at the surefire line of lights. For my needs now, I don't even consider the surefire line, for just running my dogs/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I also have the SL 3C Twin Task. I am super happy with the light. If Surefire made the same light which I think they have something compareable in their LED line though not sure they would probably command over $100 for their similar model whereas SL sells theres for $29...

Yep, Surefire is very pricey...

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
I have just been bitten by that flashlight bug myself. They tell me there is no known cure, one can only treat the symptoms by purchasing lots and lots flashlights. I have been lurking here for several weeks trying to learn. I have just ordered my first two Streamlights from BrightGuy. I looked at the SureFires and like the Cadillac and Lexus they are out of my price range. I drive a Ford F250 and my wife a Chev Cavalier and we are happy with that. I will also have to be happy with my Streamlights too. I am paying for a daughter in college and two grandchildren in private school. If I ever get these kids out of school I may get me a Cadillac and a SureFire flashlight. Until then Streamlight makes flashlights for guys just like me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duckster-

Your right about the beam throw and your needs. You're U.S. is probibly best for the need you specified.

Flashlights are tools, different tools for different jobs.

I break flashlights down into two basic categories, flood and spot. Most people get the wow from a light that throws a distant spot, but in reality need a flood. Don't get fooled by adjustable focus flashlights, it's a poor solution and give uneven poor beams. Most people think this is a great feature, but if they think about their use they realize after playing with it they leave it on the tightest focus possible, because that give the best beam.

Marketing and wow value makes people buy a flashlight that is rated at tens of thousands of candlepower, which is in a tight focus spot beam. Problem is, you can quickly lose a moving subject in the tight beam and then have to sweep it around to find them again. I tell people to think of it this way, a laser pointer has probibly a million candlepower in a focused beam that you can spot on a tree, a quarter mile away and fits in your shirt pocket. But it absolutely sucks as a flashlight!

If you need a flashlight for checking a room when you hear something go bump in the night, you absolutely NEED a flood type beam.

Different jobs different tools.

With regard to Surefire lamps, the lamp is the heart of the flashlight. The lamp IS the flashlight. I've had Surefires since very shortly after they came out with the 6P. I just had to have one, after I read a review in a Shooting Mag.

In what must be 15 or more years I've only had one (1) lamp burn out, that was the original 6P after about 6 years of use. I did have a 500L lamp for my M6 pop after 15 mins of use. SF sent me two replacements and a new flashlight head (bits of glass inbedded in the reflector) by 2 day UPS.

Some day you'll get a bonus check or an extra tax refund, treat yourself to a surefire E2e or even a 6P they are stunning when they light up an area with a smooth, even, brilliant light.

GregR

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights with adjustable focus are worthless to me. Look at M*glites, their wide beam is too full of holes, and their spot is too tight, and too dim to do any good. I love the E2e, it is perfect for everything from about 10 to 75 feet. closer than 10 feet it is too bright, and the beam is too wide to light things up very well over 75 feet away.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am basically an LED guy. Yet, I saw a need for a bright incandescant light. I drooled over E1Es and E2Es, but the bulb prices made me shy away. Same with the Scorpion. So, for my rare need for such a light, I settled on a Brinkmann Legend LX and bought a half dozen spare bulbs.

The best advice, is to get what suits your particular needs and budget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
GregR - Good Post... You are absolutely right, flashlights are tools that serve different needs. There is no doubt in my mind that a SF can turn your backyard from night to day in the flick of a switch. One day I am sure that I will have a need for such a light. I will then have to purchase a SF. My gosh, there is so many of them it would take weeks to research them all oh wait, there is always CPF, thank goodness... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
Charles, where did you get your spare bulbs for the Legend LX? I could not find them anywhere so I order 3 direct from Brinkmann. With shipping they came to almost $6.00 each. Brinkmann advertises free shipping but they sure charged me $5 (actual shipping was $1.50).

The package the bulbs came in says "use with Brinkmann LX". It also says on the package, Xenon 4.8 volts. Two CR123a Lithium batteries should be 6 volts. That has made me concern that they may have sent the wrong bulbs even though it says for the LX on the package. Are your bulbs 4.8 volts?