Question on modding MiniMag

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I am thinking of trying my hand at a bit of modding, and which other better candidate than my MiniMag 2AA? Can someone pls kindly point me to a relevant thread on this board (I'm sure its been asked before) to get me started? I was hoping to be able to add in some white LEDs, kinda like the Opalec... or any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'd buy the ready made ones, but the cost of shipping would probably end up more than the product itself!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Thanks in advance everyone... oh, and sorry if this is one of those questions that has been asked many times before, just that my searches on the forum didn't quite turn up what I was looking for... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh duh... sorry guys, I shoulda checked the 1st thread on the top of the list, huh? Well, didn't see that the first time round, cos i don't check in to this thread that often... Sorry again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dat2Zip's "Sandwich Shop" has lots of mods and parts especially for minimags..

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, go to the Sandwich Shoppe. Wayne just got in some more BB 400 Q3s. Do get the premium Q3 for $10 more. It's worth it. And Wayne doesn't make money off of shipping. My first order was $2.32 for shipping and I've got over $100 worth of stuff coming now that was $3.20 shipping. (I did pay an extra $2.20 for insurance on that one). You won't believe that it's a 2AA flashlight once you install it.

Good luck.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, kitelights... while I do understand that the mods here are very reasonably priced, what I meant is that it might cost me quite a bit esp for overseas shipping to where I am... Maybe I'll just shift over to the States to take advantage of the cheaper shipping...
Any of you guys coming to Malaysia by any chance? ;P

nexro

Enlightened
I am interested in modding too.
I have modded my maglite solitaire (simple mod) by replacing the bulb with a 1W 5mm white LED.
seems bright enough in the dark...but at daylight, you won't notice anything.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Stanley, If you are moding a MiniMag I can recommend that
you get a Kroll switch & a mineral glass lens at The
Sandwich Shoppe. The Kroll is a clickie switch & the lens
is much nicer than the plastic lens that is standard IMHO.
I like the MadMax+Q3 & the BadBoy 400Q3L. These come with
NX-05 optics, but you might want to try a McFlood also.
I hope this helps, Good luck!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe try and find some other people in your area interested in doing similar mods, and buy all of your parts from the same place at the same time, and split the shipping. Shipping should be the same for only one or many very small parts like the sandwich mods (which I highly recommend).

-Keith

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Nexro, Welcome to CPF! There is so much to learn here & fun
for all. The MadMax & BadBoy mods are a great place to start
They are drop in mods & you will be impressed with the light
output.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neonlights,

If only that were true, my flashlight collection would've grown and the same time my wallet empty... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif As of yesterday (6th Aug), I finally found a 2nd flashaholic in M'sia (or Kuala Lumpur for that matter) and 2 of us wouldn't really add up to much of a group buy... so I guess I'll still have to wait till more of the local flashaholics 'come out of the closet'... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Oh, by the way, the other flashaholic from M'sia that i mentioned happens to be Nexro... So, welcome again Nexro! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif