I want to try legoing!

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
I want to put a SF together for use in a class I'm taking on low-light combat techniques. Yeah, I could you use a stock one, but what's the fun in that? :naughty: I'd prefer to only buy the exact parts I want, instead of buying some, and replacing them. Does this make sense? Here are the features I'm looking for. (Keep in mind I know basically nothing of surefires, I own a 6p that's it:thinking:)
Clicky (preferably forward, doesn't control mode changing, I need it to be able to do momentary w/o cycling through the modes.)
2-3 cell (This is for size, as it needs to be largish, and secondarily battery capacity)
LED (I have no idea what to do, probably a custom drop-in since if I can choose, I want runtime, brightness, and maybe a low/high.)
2-mode (Is this even possible? It needs to be selected through bezel rotation or tailcap selection? :thinking: Again I have no idea as to this, so let me know!)
Strike Bezel (Not necessary, probably easy enough to do with a custom host.)
Price (I would like to keep it cheapish, I have no idea what this might cost, so give me some numbers to work with.)
Thanks! I love this website!

Last edited:

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
I forgot, I'd like it to be in a drab HA color. (OD,Black,Grey...etc.)
Or in a High-vis color (orange,yellow,red...etc.) Yeah, I know they're complete opposites, but It's either noticable enough find it if you dropped it, or dull to not attract attention. Sorry for all the weird requests. (It doesn't have to be in Nitrolon, I've seen some aluminum tubes that were ceramicoted in bright colors. That might bring the price up though!) Thanks!

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
I also forgot about the beam! Agh! It doesn't have to throw for miles, but It cant be all flood. (We're trained to use the hotspot on the badguy, hard to explain to the teach why your flashlight doesn't have one! :p So probably a hotspot, with some usefull spill? Thanks again!

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
You can also find all kinds of parts for sale from other forum members over in the CPF Marketplace. If you get another SF that uses the "P60" style module (such as your 6P), you can get all kinds of different aftermarket dropins for different types of beams, output levels, emitters, etc. You can have one made here and select from a bunch of available options.

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
You can also find all kinds of parts for sale from other forum members over in the CPF Marketplace. If you get another SF that uses the "P60" style module (such as your 6P), you can get all kinds of different aftermarket dropins for different types of beams, output levels, emitters, etc. You can have one made here and select from a bunch of available options.
Yeah, but I have no idea what to get on my drop -in? That's more what I'm looking for sorry for any confusion! I'm looking for someone to suggest a set up that would work for me. Ex. 6p host with sst50 nailbender drop-in and McGizmo McClicky tail switch. I have no idea what that means, just some words I've heard! So, sorry for the confusion!
Ok, I guess I need to give some specs for what I want the drop-in to do?
It needs to run on primaries, yeah, I know li-ions are better, but it's hard to find them, and it adds extra startup cost to a flash light I already am spending some green on. I can get almost all the primaries I want from my friend in patrol.
It needs to have at least an hour, preferably more like 2.
It needs around 100- 120 real lumens. (This is negotiable down, for runtime)
It needs a smoothish beam with a central hotspot.
It should probably have a cool tint, I find it has more blinding effect, just me.
It needs to have 1 mode. Preferably 2. (one high/turbo, one low/moonlight) They need to be selected by a method other than the tail switch, though this is probably not possible!
So, any suggestions on a light source that will do this for me?

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
I've been playing around with the Malkoff MD2 with M61 drop in. It's an improved 6P basically. If you added a high-low bezel switch, it would meet all your requirements (except they're hard anodized, so they're a little shiny). Fantastic build quality, great output, runtime, and solid user interface. It'll fit in any 6P mount if you're using it for a rifle. You could even add a 3 cell body, for longer runtime. There's even a rare orange verson, if you've got win-the-lottery kind of luck.

The only problem is availability. They're tough to keep in stock, apparently.

Malkoff: http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/turnkey-ha-flashlight-md2-p-68.html

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Lumens Factory Seraph lights? Well made, rugged, have high quality single mode drop-ins w/ the beam profile you want. SP-6 uses 2 CR123s, SP-9 uses 3 CR123. Come boxed w/ two tailcaps [clicky & twisty], two bezels, batteries. Plus LF makes plenty of "lego" parts: extenders, turbo heads, LOTS of different LED and incandescent bulbs.

http://www.lumensfactory.com/cart_detail.php?id=119

Here's the LF page on Light Hound, great prices and great service.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory_c_195.html

No, I'm not a LF pimp, just a satisfied customer....

BTW, I've now managed to drop one of my SP-6s 3-4 times w/o the least problem. In one case it fell from nearly 6ft. It got a couple of tiny chips in the finish, the concrete floor got a chip in return....

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
@Gurthang
WOW! Nice prices on those! Better than I was hoping for! Thanks, we have another contender!

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
On the Multimode Lumens Factory offerings, how do the modes change? Tailswitch presses? Thanks!
Also, do they run on cr123 primaries? I only see a refference to 18XXX (I'm geussing that's like 18650..etc.?)

Last edited:

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Sorry... "legoing"???

According to urbandictionary.com:

legoing: The art of physically fitting perfectly with someone be it on a couch or bed, essentially an advanced version of spooning. The result is maximum comfort, safety and warmth.

How does this apply to flashlights? I'm assuming it means making a custom one up from different bits and pieces from several supply sources?

—Jack. :confused:

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
^ :devil: I want my flashlights to reproduce, you know the m6 with the hellfighter... :devil: Ya, your explanation hit the nail on the head!

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shelby,

All the LF lights work w/ 123s, and in fact are supplied w/ a set [comes in the box w/ the rest of the goodies]. The SP-6 can work w/ 18650s or 17670s depending on the voltage range of the drop-in / lamp installed. The SP-9 will also work w/ 2X 18650/17670s if you add an extender, again depending on the required lamp voltage.

Yes, the multi-mode drop-ins use the clicky switch to change modes. Thats why I recommended the single mode versions. If you go to the LF home site and look at the various lamps available you'll find more choices [mainly incandescent] than you probably thought existed. LF makes LOADS of lamps for SureFires and compatible lights.

purelite

Enlightened
Can anyone say if the extenders do indeed work with 18mm cells? I need a 1 cell extender but they all seem to be 16mm internal diameter. I dont really love the style of the LF 1 cell extender but if it was indeed 18mm internal diameter maybe I could live with it.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
The only Surefire that truly meets your requirments is a U2 good size as it's just a little bigger than a 6P good hot spot with lots of throw and spill. It has a simple forward clicky that allows momentary and the brightness is changed at the bezel...

Other Surefires with the dual mode clicky would work for low light threats but not well. I think a single mode light would be a better choice and a backup light with multi mode fixes that!

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
The only Surefire that truly meets your requirments is a U2 good size as it's just a little bigger than a 6P good hot spot with lots of throw and spill. It has a simple forward clicky that allows momentary and the brightness is changed at the bezel...

Other Surefires with the dual mode clicky would work for low light threats but not well. I think a single mode light would be a better choice and a backup light with multi mode fixes that!
Yeah! Thanks! And thanks to all the other responders! I've kinda decided that a surefire isn't the way to go on this. I found the fenix TK20, it seems to fit all my needs, except it isn't cool tinted.