Law Enforcement Flashlight

dugswin223

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a flashlight to be used for nightly law enforcement work in a major US city.
Im not a huge flashlight expert, so thats why I came here :D

I currently own a Surefire G2 Nitrolon and a Surefire E2D LED Defender

I plan on carrying the E2D as a backup light, but I need a primary light thats

-rechargable (having to buy an additonal conversion is ok)
-runtime of more than 2 or so hours (the more the better)
-tailcap push button on/off
-WITHOUT a bunch of different intensity settings like on the Streamlight LEDs

basically im looking for a rechargable SF G2 LED

with regards to that statement, ive seen this
http://www.surefire.com/B65-Rechargeable-Battery

which says it fits the G2, but im not sure if that would also include the G2LED. can anyone shed some light ;) on that or reccomend a different light to use?

Thank you, this seems like a great forum

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you already have the G2 LED ? - you just refer to the G2.

if you do have a G2 LED then making it rechargeable is easy - simply drop in a 17670 lithium ion battery, or a pair of 16340 "RCR123" lithium ion batteries.

basically you need batteries, and a charger, problem solved.
most people around here reccomend getting AW brand protected cells, and a Pila IBC Charger.

Personally i use AW batteries, and a WF-139 charger.

If you want to buy a new light, you can try the G3 Led, with 2x 17500 cells

and if the output of the P60L led dropin is a bit weak, either Malkoff or Nailbender will have something much much brighter (runtime/brightness are a tradeoff, long runtime=lower output, high output=lower runtime)

apdb90

Newly Enlightened
I just retired after 20 years on the job. If I was looking for a light similar to what you're describing, I'd be buying an Elzetta 2 cell. It will run on CR123's (nothing sucks worse that being in a chase and having a rechargeable only light die mid chase....ask me how I know), you can run it on RCR123's, and it comes with a Malkoff "Drop In" already installed. They can be had with a crenulated bezel to go with your E2DL, a smooth bezel, a forward clicky like you describe or a forward clicky and 2 stage output (15 lumens/235 lumens by loosening the tail cap 1/4 turn). They're built like a tank, are US made, and have a lifetime warranty. It's what I'd be carrying as a "primary" if I was still on the job.

ama230

Enlightened
You could buy my flashlight as i am going to do a review with beam shots. Its a maglite that charges in less than 10 minutes and runs for an hour. 10ounces vs 25 ounces of the original flashlight with batteries. It is battery less so you never have to open up the light and charges 500,000 times. Would be a maintainance free light. Home or car charger is also an option and its 600plus lumens as it uses 36 nichia gs k1's in a beautiful array. Think of the 5.11 light but 3-4x as bright with the same run time.

No batteries = happy animals and plants.:D

botach_2107_605556514

Then here is my light: Same run time but no advanced modes or awesome charger.

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

Last edited:

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a flashlight to be used for nightly law enforcement work in a major US city.
Im not a huge flashlight expert, so thats why I came here :D

I currently own a Surefire G2 Nitrolon and a Surefire E2D LED Defender

I plan on carrying the E2D as a backup light, but I need a primary light thats

-rechargable (having to buy an additonal conversion is ok)
-runtime of more than 2 or so hours (the more the better)
-tailcap push button on/off
-WITHOUT a bunch of different intensity settings like on the Streamlight LEDs

basically im looking for a rechargable SF G2 LED

with regards to that statement, ive seen this
http://www.surefire.com/B65-Rechargeable-Battery

which says it fits the G2, but im not sure if that would also include the G2LED. can anyone shed some light ;) on that or reccomend a different light to use?

Thank you, this seems like a great forum

Fenix TK11 would be my recommendation.:welcome:

ToNIX

Enlightened
I'm currently using a Fenix TK11 R5 as my primary duty light. Love the light, it's plenty bright, has 2 modes, tight hotspot with usable spill, awesome throw and a very good runtime on 18650 batteries.

I'm about to purchase a Malkoff MD2 with M61 dropin when it's back in stock and see which light I prefer.

You might also check the Jetbeam JET-III M, which has a bit less spill than the TK11 and the Eagletac T20C2 Mark II or Olight M20.

Of course, you'll need to get some 18650 batteries and a charger. You can do 2/3 night shifts with 1 battery without a problem.

gilly

Enlightened
I would recommend these two lights, run with their optional extension tubes on 2 x 18650 rechargeables:

Jetbeam M1X
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230019

Olight M30
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

A number of guys in my department (including me - I have an M1X in the car with me) have had success using these lights and more and more guys on the job are switching over from the old magchargers. Some will criticize these lights as not being durable enough, but I can testify that I've seen them dropped and banged around, rained on, etc. They keep on working...

Another highly regarded light (that I don't have experience with) would be the Catapult. Check out Selfbuilt's excellent multi-emitter light review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255044

I'd recommend the Pila IBC charger and AW 18650 batteries. (the M1X needs the nipple-top ones - NOT the flat tops)

Good luck - stay safe.

Last edited:

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Dugswin223,

You might want to look at the HDS Systems EDC Tactical as a primary law enforcement light. When ordered with the R17670 battery compartment, batteries and charger, it will meet your requirements quite well. Typical runtimes on High will be 2.5 hours - and much longer if you wait until the output drops below 50%.

This light is the only light that can automatically detect and properly handle rechargeable batteries, without worries about accidentally over-discharging the battery or accidentally activating the batteries protection circuit and having the light suddenly go dark. Instead, the flashlight slowly steps down in brightness and will double-blink every two minutes to let you know you need to change batteries.

You may also want to consider the EDC Executive for your small backup flashlight. It is much more capable than what you are currently planning on using. You may want to consider making the backup light a high CRI model for better color rendering when looking over a crime scene or examining a victim for bruising.

Henry.

csa

Enlightened
The surefire rechargable system you mentioned at the start of the thread is a great option. Reliable and rugged as anything.

You might also consider a Tigerlight as an option, possibly with the LED head. Good magcharger alternative if that's what you're looking for.

HDS' advertising spiel is perhaps... optimistic. Sorry, there are plenty of smart lights on the market now. Not bad lights, but probably not what you're looking for if the G2 is your yardstick.

apdb90

Newly Enlightened
Dugswin223,

You might want to look at the HDS Systems EDC Tactical as a primary law enforcement light. When ordered with the R17670 battery compartment, batteries and charger, it will meet your requirements quite well. Typical runtimes on High will be 2.5 hours - and much longer if you wait until the output drops below 50%.

This light is the only light that can automatically detect and properly handle rechargeable batteries, without worries about accidentally over-discharging the battery or accidentally activating the batteries protection circuit and having the light suddenly go dark. Instead, the flashlight slowly steps down in brightness and will double-blink every two minutes to let you know you need to change batteries.

You may also want to consider the EDC Executive for your small backup flashlight. It is much more capable than what you are currently planning on using. You may want to consider making the backup light a high CRI model for better color rendering when looking over a crime scene or examining a victim for bruising.

Henry.

I didn't even consider the availability of a different battery compartment on a Tactical. A 170's been my carry light for a while now and it's proven to be bulletproof.

Henry knows his products far better than I obviously, but I'd probably stay with another Tactical with a 123 battery compartment as a backup light if for no other reason than commonality in function. I don't know much about the high CRI versions, but I always preferred a cool LED as an admin/crime scene light as it seemed to throw less pronounced shadow's to my eye, and actually helped me see "visible physical injury", but obviously YMMV.

TILLER

Newly Enlightened
I was in the same boat and went with an Olight M30. Pretty impressive brightness coming from a 6p or similar. I've tried wolf eyes m90, which was too big and the switch broke, and the Tiablo A8, and the switch stopped working on that one too. So far the Olight has lasted longer than the others and is brighter. You can use rechargable batteries or just use cr123a. And it comes with a plastic tube for using cr123a, which means you can use rechargables and keep the tube of cr123a's on hand for backup.

The Olight also has a separate button for strobe, which is nice.

Course i'm back on these forums now looking for an even brighter light to take with me back to graveyards.

Roland

Newly Enlightened
If you want the best then concider a P7 or MCE in a 3D maglite. Ask for a "high bin". Runs on 3 rechargeable D-cells and is MUCH brighter than any maglite and several other mentioned lights will be at a rintime of 4 hours per charge.

Several here can build you one.
If you want a quick dropin look in
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=195931
or still brighter:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=189311

If your rechargeable NIMH's run flat you can insert D-cell batteries (just will run dimmer on batteries)