Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone suggest a car wax that will do the following:
*Protect the clear coat
*Protect from bird...stuff
*Allow water to run off or prevent water marks

chiphead

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Meguires is the old standly for me. Pure carnuba & does a better job on windshields when buffed in than rainx if done right.

There are some other good resin glazes also that would be a good sealer base. Zymol is also excellent.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
Harly pure Brazilian #1 yellow Carnauba paste is one of the best you can get. Paste wax is a bit harder to apply but worth it.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you are able to get it (you might have to order it), the company I work for makes Race Glaze. It's really a good product, and since it's not wax based it doesn't yellow or get funky like some waxes do. The polish is excellent. My boss developed it and uses it on his *ahem* fancy cars.

Cooter

Newly Enlightened
You should check out Victoria's Wax- Mayhem. Very nice wax. Has great durability. Glimmerglassdetailing sells Vic's. Its not to expensive. I'm a member of a few detailing forums. Thats pretty much how I ended up on CPF. Everyone went on this Fenix craze for a little while. One of the suppliers started carrying the whole Fenix line.

RaceGlaze does have some nice products by the way. There is a supplier in Canada (autowerkes). Their leather products are nice too.

mrartillery

Enlightened
I use mostly Meguiars, I've always had great results from it. Before I started using it though I used Turtle Wax Emerald Series. This was some great stuff, but I think they must have quit making it, either that or I just can't seem to find it anymore. :duh2: But either way, the Meguiars rubs off about the nicest of any wax I've used without a whole lot of residue.

jarekdadej

Newly Enlightened
I am into car detailing and have tested lots of waxes - Meguiars, Mothers, Zaino and many others but the most durable wax that i have had is Collinite Insulator Wax No. 845. First and most importand thing to do is to prepare your paint for wax. Use claybar and then some cleaner or light polish like Meguiars SwirlX and then wax it.

Cooter

Newly Enlightened
Apply Collinite as thin as you can get it. If you put it on thick, it will be like trying to remove concrete!! But, it is recognized as one of (if not the most) the most durable waxes on the market.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh...this reminded me, I'm due to wax the car. :sigh: I do ours once a year...not motivated to do it more frequently since this routine occupies more hours than I want to devote. The Einszett/1Z was a promo for the car club and I got a good deal following. Otherwise, I'm not too picky.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Meguiars for me too - I like the paste wax that comes in a tin - it's more work than the liquid but seems to last longer.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Zaino :)

Zaino for me for protection wise.

The list is endless for car prep (which is most important) you want to make sure your finish is perfect or as close to perfect as possible before applying a protectant. Besides having a porter cable dual action polisher, makita rotary polisher, and a long list products, the right technique comes into play. No real use having all these products if you can't push them to see what you can do (I used to learn and experiment on beater cars.)

www.autopia.org is where I started, although I haven't had the time lately to keep up with all the details (pun intended.)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hardly the last word on car wax, but some years ago I saw an incredibly old Audi Fox (later became part of the Volkswagen product line) with surprisingly nice shine to the paint. I asked the owner what he had done with the car to keep it looking so good. He told me the paint was original (that surprised me!) and that he used both a wax and a color restorer on the paint to keep it in good shape.

Since that time I've always used a color restorer in conjunction with wax or polish when I've hand waxed my own cars. (Admittedly, since having kids I don't do that nearly often enough.) The color restorer is basically a colorless polymer(?) coating that fills minor scratches in the clear coat, making the latter look closer to showroom new. The progression would be: wash and dry car; apply color restorer; then wax or polish to suit. In my experience it really works.

It's been a long time since I've bought either product, but seem to recall Turtle Wax carrying a color restorer... no doubt there are better ones out there, too. I believe some brands call it clear coat protectant or some similar name.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Colour restores are for removing oxidized paint to restore true colour IE. from fading. They work like a mild liquid sand paper to do this and vairy from one company to the next as to how strong they are.
Allways polish and wax after useing colour restors as they remove all protection from the paint.

Polish and Wax are two diffrent things and often get confused. Most Polishes or Waxes are a blend of the two.

Polish is what smoothes and gives the sine.

Wax is what gives the shine its depth and a layer of protection.

If I got any of the above wrong please correct me. Hope the above helps.

PS I use Meguirs stage 123 system mainly just 2 and 3 or if feeling lazy there Gold class blended polish/wax.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am into car detailing and have tested lots of waxes - Meguiars, Mothers, Zaino and many others but the most durable wax that i have had is Collinite Insulator Wax No. 845. First and most importand thing to do is to prepare your paint for wax. Use claybar and then some cleaner or light polish like Meguiars SwirlX and then wax it.

All the Collinite waxes provide very good protection, but needs good prep, and MUST be applied VERY thinly. Like with all waxes, a little goes a LONG way. Try a test area. If you need to press down and constantly go over the area to remove the wax, you have put on too much.

Also check out Optimum car care products, FK1, Chemical Guys, and Clearkote. All of them put out quality stuff.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
It may be heresy but I use Eagle 1 Wax As U Dry. My 12 year old Grand Marquis looks like new. The protection will only last 2 or 3 weeks but I wash the car every couple of weeks any way. Us old guys are lazy and that stuff works for me.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the 15 years since I bought my car I never waxed it, or washed it, other than blasting it with a hose, and driving in the rain..

that said, wouldn't it be easier to give the car a coat of

1) acrylic plastic (available in spray can) ?

2) polyurethane?

3) shellac? (it's good enough for the space shuttle, and several trillion bugs..)

just wondering.

m4mike

Newly Enlightened
lovecpf wow, i f'n looovvve this forum...b4 being a lite-aholic, i was a car detail-fanatic(had a 98 mustang gt)...ur best bet is a quality cleaner wax (unless u really wanna go thru the 'correct' process, which i could explain if u want) such as Mother's or Meguiar's...use one of these as per directions nd let it set, but the trick is...fill up a spray bottle with chilled, clean water nd take a clean, dry microfiber or even a terry-cloth..lightly mist the car nd wipe it down with whichever cloth u have (this 'sets' the wax nd also gets rid of any excess u may have applied)...follow it up with Pinnacle Souveran (liquid or paste...liquid is cheaper nd easier to apply) results r absolutely beyond words...gloss/sheen at nite/slickness/water-repellancy are un-matched...girls used to come up 2 my car nd slide all over it cuz it was "silky smooth" lmao(zohan)...no joke...send me a PM nd i can fully "enlighten" u :twothumbs