Changing mailbox location?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I previously mentioned I lease a small commercial building for my business. The mailbox is one of the neighborhood types with like 15 boxes stuck together out by the sidewalk. Problem is it's quite a long distance from my building, and, given the industrial neighborhood, I don't really feel my mail is safe out there at night. (there has been a lot of crime around lately)

I'm wondering, how does the post office decide where a mailbox like that is going to go? Is there any possible way I could actually have mine moved onto my own property, or better yet, through a slot in my door? Do I not have some kind of 'right' to have my own mailbox on my own property?

As a side note, they will come right up to my door anytime I ask for a pickup...because obviously I can't leave a package laying out on the sidewalk. :shakehead

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yes there is some sort of federal regulation for that. My parents casually looked into relocating some mailboxes on their rental properties and it turned out to be more of a hastle than it was worth.

I dont know the details though.