JETBeam M2S Review: A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
JETBeam M2S - Posted for consideration for the review forum

The megalight arms race continues to heat up with the desire to provide discerning users with ultra powerful hand held illumination. JETbeam has responded by adding the M2S to their lineup, allowing them to reach even further heights in this ever expanding market.

JETBeam M2S

Meat and Potatoes

Behind its awkward, slightly ungainly appearance, the JETBeam M2S is a light where form follows function. The elongated body tube and large head are all purpose built, designed to power, focus, and cool the large Luminous Phlatlight SST-50 LED. This LED, the smaller sibling to the monstrous SST-90, allows the M2S to be pushed to an amazing 1,000 lumens at max output.

Unlike other multi-18650 lights the M2S stacks its cells in a single tube rather than side by side. This approach allows JETBeam to offer the use of either 3 CR123A cells or your choice of 4 CR123A's or 2 18650's with the optional cell extender. At a mere 45 minutes of runtime on "high" however, the use of primaries with the power requirements of this light could get quite expensive. Personally, I believe the extra length of the extender is a small price to pay for the freedom to use the light as you please with rechargeables.

With its large smooth reflector, the M2S is definitely designed for throw. Its tightly focused beam is more adept at illuminating small targets at distance than it is for lighting up your entire campsite while you set up the tent (you should have gotten there during the daytime!). The beam does have some fairly decent transitional corona to it, so you are not left with something completely useless at short to mid-distance, but you can very definitely tell what the intended purpose is. Incredible brightness that is capable of reaching significant distances.

Smooth Reflector

The user interface of the M2S has one particularly good feature. It is divided into two modes, based on head position, called "Max Brightness" and "Daily Use". The former is a wonderfully specialized mode that only gives the user on and off at full power. This mode definitely gives credence to the "Searchlight" labeling bestowed by JETBeam. It is nothing except a simple, single output mode that pairs wonderfully with the seemingly quality momentary forward clicky switch. I am not quite as fond of the "Daily Use" mode, but more about that later.

Constructive Criticism

Once again, I tend to find smooth reflectors to not be quite all they have stacked up to be. I can see some of the allure with having a light that has the extremely tight focus and can put a spot at the top of a tree hundreds of yards away, but I am far more interested in a light that produces a beam that is completely free from distracting artifacts. The M2S however does not quite fit that category. Between the fact that the LED is slightly off center and the reflector is an incredible mirror polish, the beam has seen some seriously detrimental effects. There is definitely still a transitional corona to this beam, but it really shows up only around half the spot, stretching lopsidedly outward like the petals of a dying flower. I would have drastically preferred a textured reflector which would likely have smoothed things out dramatically. In the wild, this isn't quite as apparent as when I am hunting the elusive white wall, but it can be slightly distracting.

Thankfully, the M2S lives up to its design quite well as a high power searchlight, because I find that its "Daily Use" mode is occasionally a little frustrating. In order to change outputs in this mode, you need to turn the light off for somewhere between .5 and 3 seconds. If you simply blink the light with slight half-presses before turning it on, you will not change the mode from where you are. Similarly, if you accidentally wait too long you will find yourself in the same mode that you started. Trying to change modes quickly or when distracted will often prove frustrating.

JETBeam M2S

The "Max Brightness" mode on this light does have one slight drawback that I didn't mention previously. Your output in that mode is time limited to 10 minutes before the torch automatically throttles back to "Medium" output as a matter of heat protection for the LED. This may seem like a significant issue, but thankfully the differences in output between "Max" and "Medium" are not as easily perceived as you might imagine. In a genuine emergency, a quick power cycle will bring you back to full output immediately for yet another 10 minutes allowing you to weigh the risks of the LED against your current need. My suggestion though would be for that limit to be genuinely temperature based rather than purely timed. That way you would be able to use the light for longer periods of time in the winter, or if there is a stiff wind helping to shuck the heat away from the light. I believe active thermal protection like this would be far more useful if it were dynamic.

Conclusions

The JETBeam M2S is quite a powerhouse of a light. Its far reaching capability will definitely astound you. With so many of these large format, super high powered LEDs starting to show up, I believe it is still a pioneer in this growing market. Solid build quality comes together with good electronics to make quite a showing.

JETBeam M2S

Provided for review by the kind folks at JETBeam.

Last edited:

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
When did the M2S started to ship with a smooth reflector? I just got my M2S about a month ago and it has an orange peel reflector.

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
When did the M2S started to ship with a smooth reflector? I just got my M2S about a month ago and it has an orange peel reflector.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the timing. I suspect they just changed a couple of things with this version. I keep reading about it only running for 3 minutes on high however mine will run for 10 before cutting back to Medium. Also I don't have the same trouble keeping the light to stay on a certain level that some people had. You used to be required to turn the light back to high before turning it off and turn it on in High as well it seems. That is no longer the case.

fonarik.com

Newly Enlightened
excellent flashlight
In our test, it is the best light.
P_JetBeam_M2S_SST-50_1000lm.jpg

http://fonarik.com/test/?model=75&scene=1&mode=0

Waiting RRT3 from JETBeam

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
I don't know the timing. I suspect they just changed a couple of things with this version. I keep reading about it only running for 3 minutes on high however mine will run for 10 before cutting back to Medium. Also I don't have the same trouble keeping the light to stay on a certain level that some people had. You used to be required to turn the light back to high before turning it off and turn it on in High as well it seems. That is no longer the case.

My M2S does not need to have the head tighten and then loosened to remember the last mode used. It is a little annoying because of the waiting time involved with remembering. I have to leave my light on for at least 10 seconds before it will remember it.

Zivman

Newly Enlightened
I had one with terrible whine that I returned for exchange. I don't remember the reflector, but my extension tube was not cogged/flaired. I have not recieved my replacement yet

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty photo and nice layout of the review....but totally lacking in the real performance of the light. The problems with the UI and mode-skipping, the lack of ability to run flat-top batteries, the High-mode time limit, etc. What this looks like is a typical magazine article where the Mag is also getting advertising from JetBeam, and thus don't mention the serious problems until the next model comes out....at which point they tell you what the improvements are to the problems with the old model...

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty photo and nice layout of the review....but totally lacking in the real performance of the light. The problems with the UI and mode-skipping, the lack of ability to run flat-top batteries, the High-mode time limit, etc. What this looks like is a typical magazine article where the Mag is also getting advertising from JetBeam, and thus don't mention the serious problems until the next model comes out....at which point they tell you what the improvements are to the problems with the old model...
I believe that I covered a large portion of those real-world performance items fairly adequately. I did bring up my issues with the UI but since it appears to be updated from the original model, I don't have the issues with mode-skipping. The lack of ability to run on flat-topped AW cells I didn't mention simply because I do not own any of them and thus can't test that aspect. From what I can see, many lights don't have that capability and most non-CPF members don't know of their existence. I could be mistaken about that last point though. I would be more than willing to accept donations if anyone is interested in supplying them so that I can include observation on that point into further reviews.

As far as the high-mode limit, I must apologize for my glaring oversight there. I didn't remember to bring that one up at all, and as such, have added a section to represent that. My updated UI however allows for a full 10 minutes before throttling instead of the 3 minutes allowed by the original. It's by far much less of an issue to me than what it would have been otherwise.

Thank you very much for your critique. I genuinely attempt to fit everything in, however sometimes I get distracted with the flow of the review and forget to come back to an important point. I always appreciate comments about my reviews and I will often attempt to correct any problems pointed out.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My, my... :naughty: if the M2S comes with a smooth reflector and allows 10mins running on high before reverting to mid mode I'd MIGHT prefer to get the M2Sv2 rather than the Thrunite Catapultv2. Right now I'm just waiting for a head-head comparison of the M2Sv2 vs the Catapultv2 to see the pros & cons of each light before I purchase one of them.

Great quick review!:twothumbs

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey AardvarkSagus:

Any chance of night time outdoor beamshots to gives us an idea of how tight the beam is with the SMO reflector? So far all the reviews with the M2S have only got beamshots with the OP reflector.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low light? With a 1000lumen M2S shining at max power? Don't think so... haha :D

BTW, where do I buy one that offers international shipping? I tried looking at BugOutGear, the same place where I bought my M1Xv4, and didn't see the M2Sv2 with SMO listed for sale.

lew187

Newly Enlightened
damn, I just ordered the new smo version of JB m2s.. I already have the older one with op Reflektor... I like this light, but I'm very interested in the new model... maybe it throws the beam farther then the OP version. And maybe it has a much more bright spot??? maybe?!

I'm curious about it...

but I'm also waiting for new 4sevens light... damn.. can't wait. omg.:sick2:

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
Let us know what the difference is between the two reflectors when you get it.