SF Z2-S: Pics and Thoughts

tsl

Enlightened
When the 2010 SF catalog came out, two lights caught my eye – the LX1 (which I knew about from the 2009 catalog) and the Z2-S. The Z2-S caught my eye because I had always wanted a Z2, but I prefer HA (Mil Spec Type III) lights. The Z2-S was HA and had a nice output (150 lumens), so I waited for SF to release it.

I knew SF had changed the way it packaged newer lights, and when the Z2-S arrived, I was glad to see that it came in the new packaging. Inside the sleeve is a study black cardboard box with the light, lanyard, and user manual.

Packaging:

dscn0163r.jpg

Z2-S in Box:

dscn0164v.jpg

The packaging is superb and much better than the old plastic clamshell arrangement. The new packaging allows you to actually try out the light for ergonomics, beam, tint, etc in a B & M shop before you buy it. With the plastic clamshell arrangement, you had to rely on a store demo unit (if they had one), and you had no idea of LED tint prior to buying.

The packaging says 160 lumens maximum output and 4.5 hours useful runtime. The user manual says 2 hours of tactical runtime (runtime until output drops below 50 lumens).

Here are some side views of the Z2-S. I'm not a big fan of the FCC CE on the bezel, but I guess these are there to show FCC and CE approval.

dscn0186o.jpg

dscn0187d.jpg

Here is a close-up of the scallop for the engraving. The body is round except for the scallops on each side.

dscn0220x.jpg

Here is a close-up of the bezel. The bezel retaining ring is serrated and protrudes slightly past the aluminum bezel to offer some protection. The serrations do result in edge artifacts in the beam (see beam shots later), but the spill is so huge, so it becomes a non-issue in real world usage. The new "knurling" is unobtrusive and does the job so far. Because the groove edges are not rounded, I expect this to be one of the first areas to show anodizing wear. How quickly this will happen, only time will tell.

dscn0221y.jpg

Here is the Z2-S disassembled. As usual, there's an o-ring at each end of the body. The design of the front end of the body is quite different from that on my C2 and G2Z. It may be new. It does provide a stable, secure, and tight fit between bezel and body.

dscn0179w.jpg

Here's a close-up of the front of the body. The inside of the body does not have the typical yellow coating. I believe I had read on CPF that SF had moved to a clear coating.

dscn0182k.jpg

Here are some close-ups of the bezel. As you can see, the reflector has a significant flat portion. This may account for the tremendous spill.

dscn0190.jpg

The bottom of the bezel is uncluttered.

dscn0184p.jpg

Here is a close-up of the serrated bezel retaining ring. For those wishing to put an aftermarket SS bezel retaining ring on this light, I don't know if there's enough bezel lip to do so.

dscn0185f.jpg

Here's the Z2-S compared to a C2 and G2Z. The Z2-S is shorter than both. This is due to the Z2-S having a shorter bezel. The Z2-S body is also shorter than that of the G2Z. Note that the anti-roll hex on the Z2-S is thinner than that on the C2 and G2Z.

dscn0158cx.jpg

Here are some beam shots 10" away from the wall. From left to right: Ra Clicky Prototype GT on high (140 lumens), P60 in a G2Z, and Z2-S. The spill of the Z2-S is significantly larger than the others.

dscn0193j.jpg

Here's an idea of beam pattern. From left to right are Z2-S, Ra Clicky Prototype GT, P60 in a G2Z, and a M60W in a C2. The angular distribution of light from the Z2-S is much greater than the others. You can see that the tint of the Z2-S is not quite as warm as that of the Cree 5A in the M60W, but it is much warmer than the GT of the Clicky.

dscn0218s.jpg

Here's the beam pattern 2.5 feet away with the same line-up as above. You can't get much of an idea of spill here; most of this is hotspot.

dscn0217y.jpg

I tried to take some inside shots, but I wasn't able to accurately capture the tint and spill. I will keep trying.

In regards to the strobe function, you have to rapidly press the tailcap button three times and hold the button in on the third press for momentary activation. For constant-on strobe, you have to rotate the tailcap to constant on while maintaining constant pressure on the tailcap button. Not sure how easy constant-on strobe would be in real life. Momentary strobe is easy and requires deliberate action to activate.

Verdict: SF has a winner in the Z2-S.

Indoor shots were taken last night with a Nikon CoolPix camera. I had to play around with the scenes to get one that fairly represented the beams. As it was, the exposure time varied somewhat for each shot. So. I'll post the information next to the picture.

Ra Clicky Prototype GT on Burst (140 lumens): 1/6 sec, F2.7

dscn0275zs.jpg

SF Z2-S: 1/4 sec, F 2.7

dscn0276d.jpg

P60 in G2Z: 1/3 sec, F 2.7

dscn0277.jpg

M60W in C2: 1/6 sec, F 2.7

dscn0278p.jpg

Took some outdoor beamshots the other night. Environment would be what one would call "dirty lighting" - in other words, it was not pitch black as my neighbor's spotlight was on as was other lighting a couple houses down (see lit up tree in left of pictures). Camera was set to "Night Landscape." Exposure time was the same for all four shots, so they should accurately show the differences between the four lights.

Ra Clicky Prototype GT on burst (140 lumens)

dscn0353s.jpg

SF Z2-S:

dscn0354r.jpg

P60 in G2Z:

dscn0355u.jpg

M60W in C2:

dscn0356k.jpg

The P60 is totally out-classed by the other three - which shouldn't be a surprise as the other three have 140 or more lumens output. The Ra has little hotspot at this distance and a narrower spill but the spill is brighter than the others. The M60W puts the most light on the target 60 feet away (the green covered chimnea) ... thanks to its optic ... and has good spill. Colors are nicely rendered. The Z2-S has a well-defined hotspot and the most spill. It also renders colors nicely.

The Z2-S serves its purpose well.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review. Does the head fit other, older, Surefire models?

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Monocrom beat me to it by two min. while I was typing. Great Photos. I got the email from SF the other day on this light, but I must resist at least until next paypay. Sorry for the dumb question or to thread jack, but will the 160 lumen (don't know part number would this be like a P61L) Z2-S LA or head fit in a 6P C2, M2, G2, Z2...? I understand the part about losing the H/L/S features, which is the tailcaps job. I also noticed they using what looks like a retaining disc that holds LA in like a MD2 and ET and others.

Last edited:

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I like the new smoother HA finish that SF's incorporating.

Bucky

Enlightened
Great review. Thanks for the pics as well.

Looks like SureFire is introducing an updated logo on the new lights.

dscn0187d.jpg

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see any way the new head would fit on an older SF. Just to answer anybodys question. I still like the Z2 better. Especially an Oveready Z2 bored for 18mm batts, and HA III anno.

tsl

Enlightened
Does the head fit other, older, Surefire models?

... will the 160 lumen (don't know part number would this be like a P61L) Z2-S LA or head fit in a 6P C2, M2, G2, Z2...?

All I had to check was a C2 and G2Z. While the threads are the same, the construction is so different that the Z2-S bezel will not work on either the C2 or G2Z.

dscn0226z.jpg

dscn0228z.jpg

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always loved the Z2 grip. Thats why it's the only SF I still own. But the P60 drop-in is/has reached its limits. IMHO it is obsolute from a heat and reflector size standpoint. I like this new format that uses a standard seperate head like every other modern light. I will buy a body for sure for future projects, and add my own high-power custom heads. Essentially that is what I've done now with my Masterpiece Pro 1 head on my Z2 body.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
All I had to check was a C2 and G2Z. While the threads are the same, the construction is so different that the Z2-S bezel will not work on either the C2 or G2Z.

:sigh:

That's too bad. But thank you for clearing up that question for us.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the P60 drop-in is/has reached its limits. IMHO it is obsolute from a heat and reflector size standpoint.

I beg to differ. As LED tech advances, less and less heat will be generated from the LEDs, even as output increases dramatically. (see: XPG ;) ) The P60 dropin format, to me, is a huge winner in my book.

Latest posts