From D10 to SC30

camarors64

Newly Enlightened
I've been edc'ing a nitecore D10 XR-E 130 lm for the last 2 years or so. It has done me well but I'm thinking about upgrading. The zebralight SC30 has caught my eye. I've read about everything I can about this light but I wanted to get your guys opinion. Is the SC30 a good upgrade from the D10? Is it going to be noticeably brighter, better beam quality and throw farther than the D10?

Also does anyone know if the SC30 will out throw the quark mini 123?

Thanks.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better beam quality? Yes (D10 with XP-E also has vary nice beam). Other things - no.

ky70

Banned
I have the Zebralight SC50 and the D10 SP XP-E R2.

With both using a 14500 battery, the SC50 has a bigger, slightly brighter hot spot and a bigger spill. The D10s beam is whiter than the SC50. 2 great lights (IMO), but the SC50s UI gives it the nod over the D10 for me.

jblackwood

Enlightened
I don't have an SC30 so I can't compare beam quality, but if you plan on using the clip on clothes, you might be better served by the SC50. If you look closely at the pictures the clip on the SC30 rests on those cooling fins. On the SC50, it rests on a flat part of the body. Like I said, I don't own the SC50, but I imagine over time the clip might eat away at your pants if you carry like that. I do which is why I love my D10, Lunasol 20, Dereelight C2H, even the Quark AA has an acceptable clip in this respect (it's just the deep carry issue that keeps me from carrying on that one). :twothumbs

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, Yes. The SC30 has a bit tighter spot and more noticeable throw.

Agreed, I have both and the Mini 123 is more floody. Will try to get you some beamshots later.

Ignoring the beam profiles for a moment, these two lights have very different UIs. The SC30 you can easily be used one-handed vs. the twisty Mini. This should play a factor in your decision.

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. In case you haven't read my review, it's here (no comparo to the Mini as I didn't have it at the time).

camarors64

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I already have a mini 123. I'm not a huge fan of the twisty plus I want something that would throw a little farther. It sounds like the SC30 is going to be the winner. The side switch and the UI seem really cool too. I like the extra power and smaller size of the SC 30 over the SC 50 and I'm not too worried about the cooling fins behind the pocket clip. It looks like I'll be ordering this light next week.

If anyone has outdoor beam shots comparing the Mini 123, SC 30 and D10 to share that would be great. I couldn't find all 3 taken at the same spot.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC-30 will out throw the mini 123 because the SC-30 has an XP-E R2 emitter and the mini 123 has an XP-G. The XP-G has more lumens. If you want to compare it to something you would have to compare it to a quark 123 R2 (4sevens still has some with the XP-E R2). The non-mini 123 is a bit bigger then the SC-30 though.

camarors64

Newly Enlightened
Ok I got my SC30 and like everything about it but the tint is very pinkish/purple. Even before comparing it to other lights I own I was able to tell this. Is this normal for a XP-E?

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Ok I got my SC30 and like everything about it but the tint is very pinkish/purple. Even before comparing it to other lights I own I was able to tell this. Is this normal for a XP-E?

I have an SC50 and a buddy of mine has the SC30 - both use the XP-E R2. To my eyes, the tint on both lights are neither pinkish nor purple. Actually, when compared to a XR-E Q5, I think the XP-E R2 lights are very slightly greenish/yellowish.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened

My SC30 is just white (as is my H501). Sounds like there might be someting wrong with yours if the colour is that noticeable. Some 'cool white' XP-Gs have a greenish tint, but that isn't what you are seeing.

camarors64

Newly Enlightened
Compared to my other lights it is a bit on the warmer side. I'm actually starting to like it. It almost looks like some of the neutral emitters from the other posts comparing cool, neutral and warm. I'll live with it.